GoDuBois.com
Sign in to follow this  
mr.d

Skier Lindsey Vonn To Retire

Her knees 'broken beyond repair,' Vonn retiring after world championships

6d56a8ca-c9ae-42f1-b213-c42e70381675-lar

FILE -In this Feb. 20, 2010, file photo, bronze medalist Lindsey Vonn of the United States hold the Stars and Stripes during the flower ceremony for the Women's super-G at the Vancouver 2010 Olympics in Whistler, British Columbia. (AP Photo/Gero Breloer, File)

Lindsey Vonn has only two races remaining on her aching knees.

The women's all-time leader in World Cup wins announced Friday that she will retire from ski racing after this month's world championships in Sweden.

The 34-year-old Vonn had been planning to retire in December but changed her plans because of persistent pain in both of her knees, which she fully realized after failing to finish a race in Cortina d'Ampezzo, Italy, last month.

"It's been an emotional 2 weeks making the hardest decision of my life, but I have accepted that I cannot continue ski racing," Vonn wrote on Instagram . "I will compete at the World Championships in Downhill and SG (super-G) next week in Are, Sweden and they will be the final races of my career."

The worlds open with the women's super-G on Tuesday in the Swedish resort of Are. The women's downhill is scheduled for Feb. 10.

"You have consistently raised the bar, you have created a legacy that will live forever, and you have given us all some of the greatest memories in our sport," Tiger Shaw, the president and CEO of U.S. Ski and Snowboard, wrote on Twitter.

Vonn's right knee is permanently damaged from previous crashes. The American has also torn ACLs, suffered fractures near her left knee, broken her ankle, sliced her right thumb, had a concussion and more. She's limited now to about three runs per day, and her aching body can't handle the workload of other skiers.

"My body is broken beyond repair and it isn't letting me have the final season I dreamed of," Vonn said. "My body is screaming at me to STOP and it's time for me to listen."

However, with 82 World Cup wins, Vonn will not be able to match the overall record of 86 held by Swedish great Ingemar Stenmark.

"Honestly, retiring isn't what upsets me. Retiring without reaching my goal is what will stay with me forever," Vonn said. "However, I can look back at 82 World Cup wins, 20 World Cup titles, 3 Olympic medals, 7 World Championship medals and say that I have accomplished something that no other woman in HISTORY has ever done, and that is something that I will be proud of FOREVER!"

In her announcement, Vonn also made public for the first time that she had yet another surgery on her right knee following last season.

"A large portion of cartilage that had delaminated from my bone was removed," Vonn said, without specifying which bone. "My crash in Lake Louise last year was much more painful than I let on, but I continued to race because I wanted to win a medal in the Olympics for my late grandfather."

Vonn achieved that goal by winning a bronze medal in downhill at last year's Pyeongchang Games.

9092b1b3-c79d-4285-8293-31972ad7d652-lar
FILE - In this Sunday, Jan. 20, 2019 file photo, United States' Lindsey Vonn hugs a US team staffer in the finish area of an alpine ski, women's World Cup super-G in Cortina D'Ampezzo, Italy. (Andrea Solero/ANSA via AP)

But then she crashed again during training in Copper Mountain, Colorado, in November, and tore the lateral collateral ligament and sustained three fractures in her left knee.

"Despite extensive therapy, training and a knee brace, I am not able make the turns necessary to compete the way I know I can," Vonn said.

Retiring in Sweden brings Vonn full circle.

She won the first two major championship medals of her career — two silvers — at the 2007 worlds in Are. Vonn has also won seven World Cup races at the Swedish resort, including two giant slaloms, and has 12 podiums overall there.

At last season's World Cup finals in Are, Vonn won the downhill and finished third in the super-G.

So broken knees and all, nobody will be counting Vonn out as a contender in her final races.

"Can't wait to see some of you in the finish in Are," she said, "where I will give it my all one last time."                                                                                                                                                                                  SEE PICTURES AND TWEETS ;  https://wjactv.com/sports/her-knees-broken-beyond-repair-vonn-retiring-after-worlds

Lindsey Vonn crashes during final Super-G event of her career at world championships in Sweden

Legendary skier Lindsey Vonn suffered a dramatic crash Tuesday during the final Super-G event of her career, hitting a gate mid-air and ending up in the safety nets at the world championships in Sweden.

The all-time leader in women's World Cup wins was about 17 seconds into her run when she lost control.

Sponsored Videox.svg

Watch to learn more

Sponsored by snowshoemtn.com

After skiing through a gate, the panel fitted between the two poles detached and became stuck on Vonn's boots. When she hit the ground, she slid downhill face first, using her hands to keep her head from hitting the snow. Vonn came to a stop when she hit the safety netting.

Even after the dramatic crash, Vonn got up, was tended to by medical personnel and then skied the rest of the way down the hill.

LINDSEY VONN TO RETIRE AFTER FEBRUARY'S WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

"OUCH!! @lindseyvonn goes through the panel and crashes hard," the U.S. Ski and Snowboard team said on Twitter. "But she’s standing and thankfully OK."

"Everybody, cross your fingers or hold your thumbs. That didn't look like a nice crash," said American teammate Mikaela Shiffrin, who won the race. "She went really hard into the fence. Hopefully she is OK."

Upon seeing Vonn's crash, Shiffrin looked away from the big video screen in the finish area. Sofia Goggia, who took silver, clasped her helmet with both hands as the crowd gasped. One American fan appeared to be crying, according to the Associated Press.

Lindsey Vonn of USA crashes out during the FIS World Ski Championships Women's Super G on February 5, 2019 in Are Sweden.

Lindsey Vonn of USA crashes out during the FIS World Ski Championships Women's Super G on February 5, 2019 in Are Sweden. (Photo by Alexis Boichard/Agence Zoom/Getty Images)

Last week, the legendary skier announced she will retire after racing the super-G and downhill at the worlds. Vonn, 34, is the all-time leader in World Cup wins with 82 and originally had planned to retire in December. However, her ailing knees contributed to her decision to retire sooner than planned.

“The reason why I decided to retire is because I can’t ski the way I want to ski anymore,” she said on Monday, according to Reuters. “I think I can maybe pull something off here at the World Championships, my last races, but to consistently train and race my knees are just not able to handle it anymore."

Lindsey Vonn crashes out during the FIS World Ski Championships Women's Super G on February 5, 2019 in Are Sweden.

Lindsey Vonn crashes out during the FIS World Ski Championships Women's Super G on February 5, 2019 in Are Sweden. (Photo by Alexis Boichard/Agence Zoom/Getty Images)

The Minnesota native said Monday she felt "fine" after the opening downhill training session.

United States' Lindsey Vonn is assisted after crashing during the women's super G at the alpine ski World Championships, in Are, Sweden, Tuesday, Feb. 5, 2019.

United States' Lindsey Vonn is assisted after crashing during the women's super G at the alpine ski World Championships, in Are, Sweden, Tuesday, Feb. 5, 2019. (Pontus Lundahl/TT via AP)

“Today I was just trying to get a feel for the terrain and I wasn’t looking to be fast, so in general, it was fine,” Vonn told reporters. “It was solid. Hard going No. 1. I didn’t really get the line right, but my knee feels decent so I’m looking forward to tomorrow and we’ll see what happens.”

LINDSEY VONN 'AT PEACE' WITH RETIREMENT, HAS ACCEPTED SHE LIKELY WON'T BREAK WORLD CUP RECORD

United States' Lindsey Vonn comes down the slope after crashing during the women's super G at the alpine ski World Championships, in Are, Sweden, Tuesday, Feb. 5, 2019.

United States' Lindsey Vonn comes down the slope after crashing during the women's super G at the alpine ski World Championships, in Are, Sweden, Tuesday, Feb. 5, 2019. (AP Photo/Gabriele Facciotti)

Vonn is set on Sunday to compete in the downhill, which will be the final event of her career.

In addition to her World Cup accomplishments, Vonn also won a gold medal in downhill at the 2010 Vancouver Games. She also won two gold medals in the 2009 World Championships in France.                                                          SEE PICTURES, VIDEOS, TWEETS ;     https://www.foxnews.com/sports/lindsey-vonn-crashes-during-final-super-g-event-of-her-career-at-world-championships-in-sweden

Lindsey Vonn wins bronze medal in the last race of her skiing career

United States' Lindsey Vonn smiles in the finish area after the women's downhill race, at the alpine ski World Championships in Are, Sweden, Sunday, Feb. 10, 2019.

United States' Lindsey Vonn smiles in the finish area after the women's downhill race, at the alpine ski World Championships in Are, Sweden, Sunday, Feb. 10, 2019. (AP)

Lindsey Vonn won the bronze medal in the world championship downhill in the final race of her skiing career.

When the 34-year-old world-famous skier crossed the finish line after her run she had a big smile on her face, waved and bowed to the crowd.

"I laid it all on the line. That's all I wanted to do today," Vonn said, according to the Associated Press. "I have to admit I was a little bit nervous, probably the most nervous I've ever been in my life. I wanted to finish strong so badly."

Vonn suffered a dramatic crash at her final Super-G event in Sweden last week. Earlier this month, the skier announced that she would be ending her 18-year career due to a number of serious injuries that have taken a toll on her body.

"I have always pushed the limits of ski racing and it has allowed me to have amazing success, but also dramatic crashes. I have never wanted the storyline of my career to be about injuries and because of that I decided not to tell anyone that I underwent surgery this past spring," Vonn wrote on Instagram.

As soon as she exited the finish area, Vonn was greeted by Swedish great Ingemar Stenmark, the only skier to win more World Cup races than Vonn — 86 to 82.

"Thank You Lindsey: Forever A Star," read one sign positioned by the side of the course.

Ilka Stuhec, of Slovenia, finished a whopping 0.49 seconds ahead of Vonn. Corinne Suter of Switzerland, who finished 0.23 seconds behind Stuhec, pushed Lindsey Vonn down to the bronze medal position.

Vonn's career wins include 82 World Cup victories, three Olympic medals and seven World Championship medals.

"I have accomplished something that no other woman in HISTORY has ever done, and that is something that I will be proud of FOREVER!" the world-class skier wrote on Instagram.                                                                                        https://www.foxnews.com/sports/lindsey-vonn-completes-last-run-of-her-ski-racing-career