GoDuBois.com
Sign in to follow this  
Petee

Electric Wheelchair Needed for Veteran

This should have been resolved a year or more ago, but a well known local vet had a stroke and is in serious need of an electric wheelchair.  The VFW is trying to find one for him.  This guy is highly respected and I can't imagine why the VA has not provided one for him.  This is pathetic.

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who watch them without doing anything"

Albert Einstein

4 hours ago, Petee said:

This should have been resolved a year or more ago, but a well known local vet had a stroke and is in serious need of an electric wheelchair.  The VFW is trying to find one for him.  This guy is highly respected and I can't imagine why the VA has not provided one for him.  This is pathetic.

If someone can figure out how to collect the money, let's start a fund right here, right now.  

The lamps are going out all across America and we may never see them lit again in our lifetime....

How long has it been. ..     Start a gofund me page petee or better yet a local one where all the money would go for it. I am not working and am going back to school but I can donate a hundred towards the cause. Keep us updated.

Every time the Government IMPOSES new Regulations to Protect Us, we LOSE a Little MORE of our FREEDOMS....

MORE Government = LESS Freedom

I got a call from one of the GoDuBoisers.  I think you can always count on someone here helping.  If the wheelchair she has will fit the guy and it works, then the problem is solved and will stay solved according to the VFW here.  They've been having their own problems there but they will do the best they can.  They need some goals to help more individual veterans.  People think the VA either doesn't help at all or they cover everything a seriously crippled vet needs.  Neither one is true.  The potential and the ideal exists, but something isn't meshing.  This guy should never have fallen through the cracks, and something as simple as an electric wheelchair could have made his life so much more liveable.  He's been from hospital to nursing home, to rehab and back through everything again....all without a usable wheelchair.  He is highly educated, retired from the military, taught others for years, was active in the community, and still can't get an electric wheelchair.  His poor wife has been pushing him everywhere in a regular wheelchair and I think she's totally exhausted by trying to help her husband get around.  She's not a big hefty woman, but he was always a tall strong man.  

Out of the blue he had a stroke, and it was a bad one.  He has not been able to get around for a couple of years at least.  He wants to teach again and help people, but can't, and he's so depressed.  I think this may be a key to helping him get the best out of his coming years.

I hope the donor will identify herself.  She deserves a huge group hug just for making the offer.  I hope it works out.

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who watch them without doing anything"

Albert Einstein

I can see why the VA couldn't provide one, but the local military service clubs should be doing something for any vet in serious need.  

5 hours ago, Guest Seth said:

We have one just needs a charging cord

Could you call me at 371-3322?  Anytime till 11 pm.

Albert Einstein

You guys never fail someone in need!  Two very nice wheelchairs have been offered, and currently the veteran is trying to decide which will work better for him.  His wife cannot lift much, so now we suggested that he put a ramp on the back of his car to drive up onto and haul it.  Anyone have one of those stashed away in a closet?  :D

Albert Einstein

He has a wheelchair but his wife must push him everywhere he goes.  He's determined to get out and work again.  He has his voice back and his mind is solid.  

I'm sure he's old enough for Medicare and has Veterans Disability, but I guess an electric wheelchair is considered a luxury.  He still wants to live and work, and to do that, he needs to be able to get himself around.  This has been extremely hard on his wife, and I'm sure he is considering her in this.

Albert Einstein

Obviously I don’t know this fellow’s situation and I hope the donated wheelchair works out but I don’t think a motorized wheelchair is considered a luxury any longer. If his insurance purchased his standard wheelchair he may be out of luck for a period of time but honestly, if it’s a medical necessity for him to be able to get around independently they will pay. If he can’t move himself in his wheelchair by turning the wheels then he’s not independent. 

His entire one side is paralyzed so he only has one good hand which has Carpal Tunnel.  I give him a ton of credit for still trying to do things for himself and others.

Albert Einstein

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this