GoDuBois.com

Moss in Yard-Lime?

jaman

I havent limed my yard in about 7 years. I was thinking to do it this year. Ive noticed moss  in places this year. They say do a soil test but with the moss I think it needs to be limed.  And then after a couple of weeks-weed and feed. Need Advice.

It might help but there are a number of conditions that provide moss with good growing conditions. Moss does like a low pH and lime will raise that but perhaps not to the level that will kill the moss. If you get the pH too high other plants won't grow as well.  Moss also grows in moist, shady conditions. Trees may have grown up over the last 7 years and shaded the ground.  It will grow where the soil has a low nutrient content and other plants will not grow.  Have you fertilized and maintained the soil? You might want to check for these conditions and not just rely on liming the soil. 

12 minutes ago, lavender said:

It might help but there are a number of conditions that provide moss with good growing conditions. Moss does like a low pH and lime will raise that but perhaps not to the level that will kill the moss. If you get the pH too high other plants won't grow as well.  Moss also grows in moist, shady conditions. Trees may have grown up over the last 7 years and shaded the ground.  It will grow where the soil has a low nutrient content and other plants will not grow.  Have you fertilized and maintained the soil? You might want to check for these conditions and not just rely on liming the soil. 

Weed and feed 3 years ago.  All trees are gone. I want a nice soft green yard this year.There are no longer any other plants. Just 2 Lilac bushes. 

3 hours ago, jaman said:

I havent limed my yard in about 7 years. I was thinking to do it this year. Ive noticed moss  in places this year. They say do a soil test but with the moss I think it needs to be limed.  And then after a couple of weeks-weed and feed. Need Advice.

You can try getting rid of the moss by raking it up. You can spray it with 2 ounces of Dawn dish-washing detergent to a gallon of water or use iron sulfate.  After you get rid of the moss lime and fertilize the lawn. You might have to keep after it but neither of these solutions will hurt the grass and the iron sulfate might actually help it. It makes the grass grow greener. If the soil is healthy and the drainage is OK the moss shouldn't grow back. 

53 minutes ago, lavender said:

You can try getting rid of the moss by raking it up. You can spray it with 2 ounces of Dawn dish-washing detergent to a gallon of water or use iron sulfate.  After you get rid of the moss lime and fertilize the lawn. You might have to keep after it but neither of these solutions will hurt the grass and the iron sulfate might actually help it. It makes the grass grow greener. If the soil is healthy and the drainage is OK the moss shouldn't grow back. 

IM following your advice. THANKS. Im going to use pelletized lime.

You can easily determine the quality of your soil by picking up a $9 Penn State soil test at one of the local feed stores, or by dropping into one of the county Extension offices to pick one up.  It gives you a much better analysis, and the $9 certainly doesn't cover the value.

Yes, pH affects mossy growth, but to measure accurately and to know exactly which nutrients to use takes a professional lab.  Otherwise, it could just be a waste of time and money.