GoDuBois.com
Sign in to follow this  
Elvis

Why not Vietnam Veterans

Just awhile back this school hired a retired State policeman to walk the halls in school and keep it secured,first of all a retired Sate policeman gets a good pension why does he need another job when there is a lot of Vietnam Veterans are out of work and could do that job just as well after all they served are country, they should get some recognition didn’t get it when they came home,also they have combat experience and weapon experience and no how to handle all situations, I am speaking for are Vietnam Veterans after all I am one myself 

18 minutes ago, Elvis said:

The Vietnam Veterans would do a fine job and take the job for less money 

If the Vietnam Vet is just as qualified as any other candidate they should get the same pay. 

I would think many of the Vietnam Vets are getting old and might not be able to do the job because of failing health.

I applaud all vets. If they meet all qualifications, don't have any physical or mental issues that would prevent them from doing the job and have the proper training to be an SRO, have at it! Acceptable pay is relative but they should be paid the same as others with the same qualifications for the job. 

Why not approve and accept Vietnam Veterans for walking tours of the schools?  No guns, make it a volunteer position.  They could become a very valuable asset.

If a Vet wants the job, then they can qualify just like anyone else would.

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who watch them without doing anything"

Albert Einstein

I am a Vietnam Vet.  USMC, 1966, Danang.  Still in good health and active.  Still deer hunt, was scouting for turkeys this morning.  However, there is not enough money in any school board budget to lure me into walking the hallways of any school building.  The behavior of the teenagers I see is enough to send me back to Vietnam.

Pierced ears, noses, other body parts,  etc... tattoos, revealing clothing and foul language.  Nope, better get a cop who is trained to put up with a lot of disrespectful crap.  Hmmm... maybe I should sign this as A. Curmudgeon.

I’m sure the school district would consider any Veteran that also served as a law enforcement officer. But the fact remains that it is a law enforcement position, and military service alone does not make one qualified.

12 hours ago, SgtRick417 said:

I am a Vietnam Vet.  USMC, 1966, Danang.  Still in good health and active.  Still deer hunt, was scouting for turkeys this morning.  However, there is not enough money in any school board budget to lure me into walking the hallways of any school building.  The behavior of the teenagers I see is enough to send me back to Vietnam.

Pierced ears, noses, other body parts,  etc... tattoos, revealing clothing and foul language.  Nope, better get a cop who is trained to put up with a lot of disrespectful crap.  Hmmm... maybe I should sign this as A. Curmudgeon.

No, you speak the truth. I see it every day.

On 4/10/2019 at 8:05 PM, blueskylady said:

Being a Veteran does not equate to police training.  Thank you for your service.

Depending on the state, the vet may have more training than the police.

Some other states, and municipalities of said states, do not have much, if any, training requirements.  ...unlike PA which all municipal and state police must go through the state academy(Act 120).   And our sheriffs and constables have a different training requirement.

In some other states, all you have to do is pass the background check - and that is even questionable as to whether that is a factor.

Even here in PA where they must be certified, a vet, or just a regular person, could have far better firearms training than the police.   Most police training today is focused on the legalities of making an arrest.

If you are going to let someone with a gun loose in a school he should have more than firearms and combat training. This is a crisis situation not a kill zone. A little finesse in dealing with disturbed people and training in hostage type situations might be required. If you don't have the money to train the police I guess you use what you can get and hope for the best. I suspect that one of the arguments for arming teachers is that they are trained to deal with kids and might be more qualified to handle a situation than the police. The gun is just backup and protection. 

Guest Titan

I think Elvis should go back to Sensus and complain

19 hours ago, SgtRick417 said:

Maybe they need to see some "strack".  I'm sure some would be impressed, and you'd scare the dickens out of others.

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who watch them without doing anything"

Albert Einstein

10 hours ago, dubois_15801 said:

Depending on the state, the vet may have more training than the police.

Some other states, and municipalities of said states, do not have much, if any, training requirements.  ...unlike PA which all municipal and state police must go through the state academy(Act 120).   And our sheriffs and constables have a different training requirement.

In some other states, all you have to do is pass the background check - and that is even questionable as to whether that is a factor.

Even here in PA where they must be certified, a vet, or just a regular person, could have far better firearms training than the police.   Most police training today is focused on the legalities of making an arrest.

Firearms training does not make one a law enforcement officer. Discharging a weapon should be the last option for police officers, whereas it’s the most important function of infantry soldiers. As someone with children in the district, that works with children AND is the daughter of a police officer and the granddaughter of a Marine, I’d rather a recently retired police officer to a man that was in combat a decade before I was born.

Soldiers all have a specialty, and that's what they have experience in.  Unless they were an MP and/or dealt with kids, they really wouldn't have the right training to deal with today's school situations, but if they do, then they certainly will have the discipline to carry out the job.

Many military officers retire and go on to be school teachers once they go to college.

Albert Einstein

28 minutes ago, Joseshic said:

They would'nt let him in the door.

They don’t no what they are missing anyway I wouldn’t attempt to go there it’s alright with me I sleep good I don’t  loose any sleep over that place