GoDuBois.com
LFG

Amish Furniture Prices

I mentioned this in another thread before, but now it's getting close to crunch time and LFGal and I are doing some serious shopping. I guess you could call our motif "farmhouse chic", so Amish style would be an abvious choice. There's only one Amish dealer down here, we had never been, so we went a few weeks ago. I thought maybe we would meet Ezekiel or Jebediah, but were instead greeted by Steve and Cherie. All of the furniture was absolutely stunning, I was just drooling over pieces for every room in the house, but we are talking thousands of dollars. We aren't cheap, but we aren't rich, either. I'm talking about $4000 dining room tables with 4 chairs, $8000 three piece queen bedroom sets, $3000 couches. I know there is markup, but are we talking 50%, 100%, 300%? I told LFGal it may be worth a trip to PA just to go shopping, rent a U-haul, and drive everything back home. 

I don't know how it works up there, and I hate to sound completely ignorant, but I am. Are there Amish stores that have merchandise in stock that you can just walk in and buy a truck load? Is there even such a thing as an Amish furniture store? How would you go about buying a rather large amount of furniture, and would the price difference warrant venturing into Yankee territory? Inquiring rednecks want to know

IMO based on dealing with local "Amish" furniture stores is if one finds something they like is to take pictures of it and go to the local Amish community and deal directly with the Amish craftsman.

Just recently on our kitchen remodel I saved thousands of $$$ using Amish cabinet makers VS various others.

I have bought from Yoder's in the past.  Great quality and reasonable prices. 

I also second Nikon's advice.  Many local Amish can build just about anything you want, at a cheaper price than in their stores. 

If you are looking to drive north, I might suggest you check out Fred Barefield in Brockway.  He has a Facebook page Designs By Fred.  Absolutely beautiful pieces and he can do anything custom you want.   Check out his work!

39 minutes ago, LFG said:

I mentioned this in another thread before, but now it's getting close to crunch time and LFGal and I are doing some serious shopping. I guess you could call our motif "farmhouse chic", so Amish style would be an abvious choice. There's only one Amish dealer down here, we had never been, so we went a few weeks ago. I thought maybe we would meet Ezekiel or Jebediah, but were instead greeted by Steve and Cherie. All of the furniture was absolutely stunning, I was just drooling over pieces for every room in the house, but we are talking thousands of dollars. We aren't cheap, but we aren't rich, either. I'm talking about $4000 dining room tables with 4 chairs, $8000 three piece queen bedroom sets, $3000 couches. I know there is markup, but are we talking 50%, 100%, 300%? I told LFGal it may be worth a trip to PA just to go shopping, rent a U-haul, and drive everything back home. 

I don't know how it works up there, and I hate to sound completely ignorant, but I am. Are there Amish stores that have merchandise in stock that you can just walk in and buy a truck load? Is there even such a thing as an Amish furniture store? How would you go about buying a rather large amount of furniture, and would the price difference warrant venturing into Yankee territory? Inquiring rednecks want to know

I bought only one piece of authentic Amish furniture...for my daughter when she when off to college.  Told her it was the one piece of furniture that should should use all thru school.   She didn't find it amusing....

image.jpeg

It called an Amish bedboard.....

24 minutes ago, NikonSniper said:

IMO based on dealing with local "Amish" furniture stores is if one finds something they like is to take pictures of it and go to the local Amish community and deal directly with the Amish craftsman.

Just recently on our kitchen remodel I saved thousands of $$$ using Amish cabinet makers VS various others.

That's what I would like to do, go straight to the source, I just think it would be hard to show up and say "Hey y'all" 

You busy the third Saturday in May? :lol:

21 minutes ago, MIM307 said:

I have bought from Yoder's in the past.  Great quality and reasonable prices. 

I also second Nikon's advice.  Many local Amish can build just about anything you want, at a cheaper price than in their stores. 

If you are looking to drive north, I might suggest you check out Fred Barefield in Brockway.  He has a Facebook page Designs By Fred.  Absolutely beautiful pieces and he can do anything custom you want.   Check out his work!

I don't want to buy from Fred, I want to buy from some guy with an Old Testament name who tries to trick one of us into milking his "cow"

13 minutes ago, LFG said:

I don't want to buy from Fred, I want to buy from some guy with an Old Testament name who tries to trick one of us into milking his "cow"

Go  to Smicksburg Pa. throw a paper plate and you'll hit one.

We're actually fortunate around here with Amish prices. If you've ever been to the Amish country in Ohio around Millersburg, their prices are very high.

I had a contractor here tell me he couldn't buy the materials and build and Amish shed cheaper than just buying one. I can't say if the Lancaster Amish are more or less expensive. Corry Pa. Amish are inexpensive as well. 

37 minutes ago, Illiterate said:

I bought only one piece of authentic Amish furniture...for my daughter when she when off to college.  Told her it was the one piece of furniture that should should use all thru school.   She didn't find it amusing....

image.jpeg

It called an Amish bedboard.....

I don't know. A couple throw pillows and my mind is racing. Is that wall guaranteed to work too?

1 minute ago, Lupara said:

Go  to Smicksburg Pa. throw a paper plate and you'll hit one.

We're actually fortunate around here with Amish prices. If you've ever been to the Amish country in Ohio around Millersburg, their prices are very high.

I had a contractor here tell me he couldn't buy the materials and build and Amish shed cheaper than just buying one. I can't say if the Lancaster Amish are more or less expensive. Corry Pa. Amish are inexpensive as well. 

If I throw one of Bon's paper plates I'll be arrested for assault with a deadly weapon...

I expected the higher prices here, but I did not expect Steve and Cherie. Not even Sherry, but Cherie. I bet that added $1000 right there :arghh:

I just loved the craftsmanship. And the weight, good lord that stuff was heavy. It was just so much more expensive than even high end furniture stores around here. If I lived up there I could talk to a builder, place a custom order, and wait, but  I don't see how I could do that from here

1 hour ago, LFG said:

That's what I would like to do, go straight to the source, I just think it would be hard to show up and say "Hey y'all" 

You busy the third Saturday in May? :lol:

Busy building power plants 6-7 days a week so the tree huggers can charge their electric cars and phones. :rolleyes:

5 hours ago, LFG said:

<much cut>

We aren't cheap, but we aren't rich, either.

<Much more cut...>

Awww, now LFG, you aren't giving yourself enough credit.  You're both cheap and rich!  One begets the other...

:rofl:

Because, Gentlemen, I don't trust you...  Gunning Bedford, U.S. Constitutional Convention
The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal. Aristotle
First God created idiots.  That was for practice. Then He created school boards. Mark Twain
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. George Santayana

We had an Amish contractor build our barn and he did an amazing job We have folks stop and ask who built it often. We've also bought many Amish furniture pieces. I love the woodsy, rustic style.

"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler."

-- Jack Lambert --

There are private furniture builders, and also places in Smicksburg, near Brookville, and in other locations around our area.  You might want to make a list of them and visit them all on your visit.  You can also have furniture built.  

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who watch them without doing anything"

Albert Einstein

Or you can venture out to the original NorthWest and visit the Amish in northern Indiana.  You'd have the added bonus of being able to come to South Bend and bathe in the reflected glory of Hizzoner-TheBoyMayor-Who-Wants-To-Be-President, provided of course, that he remembers he is Mayor and is here.

Because, Gentlemen, I don't trust you...  Gunning Bedford, U.S. Constitutional Convention
The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal. Aristotle
First God created idiots.  That was for practice. Then He created school boards. Mark Twain
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. George Santayana

18 minutes ago, bob_rx2000 said:

Or you can venture out to the original NorthWest and visit the Amish in northern Indiana.  You'd have the added bonus of being able to come to South Bend and bathe in the reflected glory of Hizzoner-TheBoyMayor-Who-Wants-To-Be-President, provided of course, that he remembers he is Mayor and is here.

I would suggest a trip out your way, but more of visiting some of the Shaker settlements, maybe heading southward towards Berea, KY.  

Become inspired and learn to construct your own:  Bob is only trying to entice one and all his way to support Hizzoner, of whom Master Bob might be campaign chieftain (said tongue in cheek, obviously, as Hizzoner is now the "soup du jour", displacing Beto-hands).

The lamps are going out all across America and we may never see them lit again in our lifetime....

Penns valley Woodcrafters.173 .Noahs landing lane   Aaronsburg Pa,16820  814-349-2458. His name is John Byler. This fella makes furniture to your order from what ever wood you desire.His furniture is beautiful and sturdy.My G.F. has several pieces of his work.Don't worry if he doesn't answer the phone,He will return your call.It's a long walk to the end of the Lane to the phone.If you want to buy a truck load The Amish have  2 Benefit consignment auctions coming up in the next month or so. 

The first is at Loganton Pa. The Sugar valley benefit auction on May 4th.

The second will be at spring Bank welding on rt192 between Centre hall and Rebersburg Pa. on June 8th.

These are all day auctions.They also serve good food so no need o pack a lunch. Oh yeah bring a chair.

Guest Amish furniture

I can get u Amish built tables built out of hickory and black walnut for 500.00 right from the Amish...I have lots of Amish friends...if u go to s store they jack up price 15 % on every 100.00 dollars...u can email me at suezyq31@hotmail.com