GoDuBois.com
mr.d

DuBois City Council Looks To Increase Parking Costs, Fees

DuBois City Council Looks to Increase Parking Costs, Fees

DUBOIS – Motorists will soon see increases in costs for metered parking and the fees for parking-related offenses in DuBois City.

On Monday night, council voted to start the process of changing the rates at the new parking lot kiosk and other city parking meters to 50 cents per hour.

City Manager John “Herm” Suplizio suggested that the city should eventually raise the cost to $1 per hour. He said in a year or two, council could do a review and consider an increase to 75 cents.

He also said that the city’s fees for parking-related offenses were too low. Suplizio likened the current parking fees to the small fees the city tacks onto late water bills.

The following parking fees were suggested to council members by DuBois Police Chief Blaine D. Clark.

Type Current Fee New Fee
Parking Meter $5.00 $15.00
2 Hour Zone $5.00 $15.00
Improper Parking $15.00 $25.00
Prohibited Area $15.00 $25.00
Too Close to Corner $15.00 $25.00
7 A.M. to 11 A.M. $15.00 $25.00
Over 15 Hours $15.00 $25.00
2 A.M. to 7 A.M. $15.00 $25.00
At Fire Hydrant $15.00 $25.00
Wrong Way $15.00                                                  $25.00                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   https://gantdaily.com/2019/05/14/dubois-city-council-looks-to-increase-parking-costs-fees/

6 minutes ago, Lyndsey33 said:

Parking meter fee goes up $10 and they wonder why people don't want to shop down town. I get you need to pay a fine if u don't put enough in the meter for the time you need but a 10.00 ticket is insane. I will stick to out of town shopping.

Maybe someone should have suggested that he meter the lots at the City Park and Showers' Field. The deadbeats that park there are getting a free ride. :)

"Be still, my fingers, be still" - fedup

6 minutes ago, Lyndsey33 said:

Parking meter fee goes up $10 and they wonder why people don't want to shop down town. I will stick to out of town shopping. 

Surely you're not serious.  Today it costs $.25 per hour to park at most metered parking in the City and not paying that results in a ticket for $5.00.  The increase to $.50 per hour for parking with an increase to $15.00 for not paying is probably overdue. Not that I agree, but it doesn't really matter if we don't break the rule and actually pay to park.  I'm a scofflaw when it comes to parking meters and actually paying and I can't tell you the last time I got a parking ticket in DuBois.  I did get one in St.Marys about 15 years ago and it was a lot more than $5.00 back then.

If we don't pay and get a parking ticket over $.25 per hour we are bigger fools than I thought.  At a cost of about $.50 per mile you can't drive around the block for a quarter, so driving elsewhere just because it is free to park is pointless.

1 hour ago, hipower said:

Surely you're not serious.  Today it costs $.25 per hour to park at most metered parking in the City and not paying that results in a ticket for $5.00.  The increase to $.50 per hour for parking with an increase to $15.00 for not paying is probably overdue. Not that I agree, but it doesn't really matter if we don't break the rule and actually pay to park.  I'm a scofflaw when it comes to parking meters and actually paying and I can't tell you the last time I got a parking ticket in DuBois.  I did get one in St.Marys about 15 years ago and it was a lot more than $5.00 back then.

If we don't pay and get a parking ticket over $.25 per hour we are bigger fools than I thought.  At a cost of about $.50 per mile you can't drive around the block for a quarter, so driving elsewhere just because it is free to park is pointless.

I am serious. I never shop downtown to use the meters so I don't get tickets either and never will have a ticket so I really don't need to worry about a 15.00 parking ticket but it's still a big jump from $5.

1 hour ago, hipower said:

Maybe just charge admission for the athletic events at all of the new/renovated fields.

Virtually impossible.  You can see the game from almost everywhere around each field.  If that's the case, then you'll need to charge admission into the Park itself.  

The fines don't bother me at all. My problem is not having enough change (quarters). 😰  At the very least, they could put in a change machine for those who don't want to carry a ton of change around and who can't remember to stop and get quarters in anticipation of DT parking. But at the rate they are raising the parking fees, I'm sure, sooner, rather than later, you won't need change for the meters. 🤑 And....I certainly don't want to use a bank or credit card to park.... 🙄

38 minutes ago, Lyndsey33 said:

I am serious. I never shop downtown to use the meters so I don't get tickets either and never will have a ticket so I really don't need to worry about a 15.00 parking ticket but it's still a big jump from $5.

Without meters, people would simply fill up the spots, using them as their personal parking spaces.  The fine has to to be enough to discourage the practice of not paying the meter.  Park all day for a $5 fine vs feeding the meter every couple of hours...might just be cheaper to pay the fine.

1 minute ago, sapphire said:

The fines don't bother me at all. My problem is not having enough change (quarters). 😰  At the very least, they could put in a change machine for those who don't want to carry a ton of change around and who can't remember to stop and get quarters in anticipation of DT parking. But at the rate they are raising the parking fees, I'm sure, sooner, rather than later, you won't need change for the meters. 🤑 And....I certainly don't want to use a bank or credit card to park.... 🙄

I kinda like the debit/credit card method.  In cities/towns that aggressively ticket parking scofflaws, it can save a fine.  Download the app and you can reload your meter with out having to run back down the street or leave a restaurant to feed a meter.  And you don't have to overload a meter 'just in case', which saves a few quarters.

Maybe just a gate keeper?

Who approaches the Bridge of Death must answer me these questions three, 'ere the other side he see.

What is your name?

What is your quest?

What is the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

2 hours ago, Illiterate said:

I kinda like the debit/credit card method.  In cities/towns that aggressively ticket parking scofflaws, it can save a fine.  Download the app and you can reload your meter with out having to run back down the street or leave a restaurant to feed a meter.  And you don't have to overload a meter 'just in case', which saves a few quarters.

I think that's a good idea

1 hour ago, LFG said:

Who approaches the Bridge of Death must answer me these questions three, 'ere the other side he see.

What is your name?

What is your quest?

Image result for musical notes I'm sailing away...

4 hours ago, Illiterate said:

I use ParkingPanda/Spothero. Works good reserving parking in cities. 

7 hours ago, LFG said:

What is your name?

What is your quest?

African or European Swallow?

13 hours ago, Vader said:

Maybe someone should have suggested that he meter the lots at the City Park and Showers' Field. The deadbeats that park there are getting a free ride. :)

Fabulous idea!!

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who watch them without doing anything"

Albert Einstein

9 hours ago, LFG said:

What is your name?

What is your quest?

You had to ask didn't you? 24 mph  The math follows although I do not.

Airspeed can also be predicted using a published formula. By inverting this midpoint Strouhal ratio of 0.3 (fA/U ≈ 0.3), Graham K. Taylor et al. show that as a rule of thumb, the speed of a flying animal is roughly 3 times frequency times amplitude (U ≈ 3fA).5

We now need only plug in the numbers:

U ≈ 3fA
f ≈ 15 (beats per second)
A ≈ 0.22 (meters per beat)
U ≈ 3*15*0.22 ≈ 9.9
... to estimate that the airspeed velocity of an unladen European Swallow is 10 meters per second.

Oh, yeah, I agree with that
With some further study, it became clear that these estimates are accurate, though perhaps coincidental.

An actual study of two European Swallows flying in a low-turbulence wind tunnel in Lund, Sweden, shows that swallows flap their wings much slower than my estimate, at only 7–9 beats per second:

“Compared with other species of similar size, the swallow has quite low wingbeat frequency and relatively long wings.” 7
The maximum speed the birds could maintain was 13–14 meters per second, and although the Lund study does not discuss cruising flight in particular, the most efficient flapping (7 beats per second) occurred at an airspeed in the range of 8–11 meters per second, with an amplitude of 90–100° (17–19 cm).

And there was much rejoicing
Averaging the above numbers and plugging them in to the Strouhal equation for cruising flight (fA/U = 7 beats per second * 0.18 meters per beat / 9.5 meters per second) yields a Strouhal number of roughly 0.13:

... indicating a surprisingly efficient flight pattern falling well below the expected range of 0.2–0.4.

Although a definitive answer would of course require further measurements, published species-wide averages of wing length and body mass, initial Strouhal estimates based on those averages and cross-species comparisons, the Lund wind tunnel study of birds flying at a range of speeds, and revised Strouhal numbers based on that study all lead me to estimate that the average cruising airspeed velocity of an unladen European Swallow is roughly 11 meters per second, or 24 miles an hour.

47 minutes ago, lavender said:

You had to ask didn't you? 24 mph  The math follows although I do not.

Airspeed can also be predicted using a published formula. By inverting this midpoint Strouhal ratio of 0.3 (fA/U ≈ 0.3), Graham K. Taylor et al. show that as a rule of thumb, the speed of a flying animal is roughly 3 times frequency times amplitude (U ≈ 3fA).5

We now need only plug in the numbers:

U ≈ 3fA
f ≈ 15 (beats per second)
A ≈ 0.22 (meters per beat)
U ≈ 3*15*0.22 ≈ 9.9
... to estimate that the airspeed velocity of an unladen European Swallow is 10 meters per second.

Oh, yeah, I agree with that
With some further study, it became clear that these estimates are accurate, though perhaps coincidental.

An actual study of two European Swallows flying in a low-turbulence wind tunnel in Lund, Sweden, shows that swallows flap their wings much slower than my estimate, at only 7–9 beats per second:

“Compared with other species of similar size, the swallow has quite low wingbeat frequency and relatively long wings.” 7
The maximum speed the birds could maintain was 13–14 meters per second, and although the Lund study does not discuss cruising flight in particular, the most efficient flapping (7 beats per second) occurred at an airspeed in the range of 8–11 meters per second, with an amplitude of 90–100° (17–19 cm).

And there was much rejoicing
Averaging the above numbers and plugging them in to the Strouhal equation for cruising flight (fA/U = 7 beats per second * 0.18 meters per beat / 9.5 meters per second) yields a Strouhal number of roughly 0.13:

... indicating a surprisingly efficient flight pattern falling well below the expected range of 0.2–0.4.

Although a definitive answer would of course require further measurements, published species-wide averages of wing length and body mass, initial Strouhal estimates based on those averages and cross-species comparisons, the Lund wind tunnel study of birds flying at a range of speeds, and revised Strouhal numbers based on that study all lead me to estimate that the average cruising airspeed velocity of an unladen European Swallow is roughly 11 meters per second, or 24 miles an hour.

What?

Nothing on the African swallow?

You have to know these things to be a King, you know.

33 minutes ago, Vader said:

What?

Nothing on the African swallow?

You have to know these things to be a King, you know.

King? “ Shrubberies are my trade. I am a shrubber. My name is Roger the Shrubber. I arrange, design, and sell shrubberies.