GoDuBois.com
mr.d

DuBois City Looks To Increase Restrictions In Recreation Areas

16 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

NO PETS IN THE CITY PARK.  Is this really a good thing for the city to attempt.  Many people go to the park to walk their dogs daily.  If I lived in the city and was paying tax dollars, which are used for the park by the way, I would be furious.  Sounds like someone needs to keep the officials in check.i

No dogs is a problem for me!!!!! I walk her, and use the provided bags & deposit bins for dog waste in the City Park. Over the years my dog has also sat with us at kids's games.

Dobby

17 hours ago, disgruntled said:

So we have this lovely new Challenger league in the area and we're going to discourage anyone over the age of 12 from using the playground, swings included?    What about the kids that are over the age of 12, but are still mentally much younger?

*I fully understand that the idea is most likely to prevent "big kids" from taking over the playgrounds, but I feel like the ordinance is short sighted.  

They need to write in an exception for our mentally challenged individuals. 

Every day is a gift from God; that's why we call it the "present!"

17 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

NO PETS IN THE CITY PARK.  Is this really a good thing for the city to attempt.  Many people go to the park to walk their dogs daily.  If I lived in the city and was paying tax dollars, which are used for the park by the way, I would be furious.  Sounds like someone needs to keep the officials in check.

Since there is a dog park, folks should use it.  The reason for no pets in the park, except for service animals, is because when you allow dogs, for example, there are folks who fail to be responsible and don't pick up their pet's droppings.  You can't have babies and children wandering around stepping in and picking up dog poop.  It's not fair to those using the park to have to put up with dog poop everywhere.  And I'm a 3 dog owner!  So I'm not dissing dogs!

Every day is a gift from God; that's why we call it the "present!"

18 hours ago, mr.d said:

Bicycles, skateboards, roller-skates, hoverboards, segways and electric/manual scooters would be forbidden

From where? From going through the park? The walkway?

18 hours ago, mr.d said:

Pets would be prohibited at the city’s parks and recreation areas, except for at the dog park and the walkway area, which is marked dog-friendly.

So you wouldn't be able to walk on the sidewalks of the park with your dog?

18 hours ago, disgruntled said:

So we have this lovely new Challenger league in the area and we're going to discourage anyone over the age of 12 from using the playground, swings included?    What about the kids that are over the age of 12, but are still mentally much younger?

*I fully understand that the idea is most likely to prevent "big kids" from taking over the playgrounds, but I feel like the ordinance is short sighted.  

Disgruntle you are correct. City council must never forget "Special Needs" people! 

I get that there are issues.  Older kids trashing the parks, running amok and making it difficult for younger kids to have fun.  People not cleaning up their dogs business or not maintaining control of their animal.  People on bicycles, etc. that are not courteous and people have to jump out of the way to avoid a collision.  These are legitimate problems that impact our collective ability to enjoy the park.  HOWEVER, all these ordinances do, as written, is keep EVERYONE from enjoying aspects of the parks and recreation areas. I have often said to my husband how nice it would be for Planet Bike to open a little bike rental place on the walkway or park for an added service to the area plus extra money for them. It seems rather than write ordinances that target the specific problems, we are trying to outlaw simple activities as dog walking and riding a bike.

The typical let's be reactive instead of proactive approach used by many Western Pa boroughs, towns, and cities.

Next you'll be hearing complaints and police calls about the kids and adults riding their bikes, skate boards, and roller blades on the sidewalks and streets.

With the high drug use, high drug dealing, and crime from both in our areas one would think the law enforcement resources and time would be better spent on that instead of city park patrol/harassment....

The "hunting" rule would violate a PA Supreme Court ruling.   Only the Game Commission, through regulatory powers issued by the General Assembly, can regulate hunting.

Which, state law already has safety zones for firearm and archery, with respective distances for each device.   And most recreational/park areas are already covered due to nearby possibly occupied dwellings.

10 hours ago, Polo said:

Since there is a dog park, folks should use it.  The reason for no pets in the park, except for service animals, is because when you allow dogs, for example, there are folks who fail to be responsible and don't pick up their pet's droppings.  You can't have babies and children wandering around stepping in and picking up dog poop.  It's not fair to those using the park to have to put up with dog poop everywhere.  And I'm a 3 dog owner!  So I'm not dissing dogs!

The dog park is a nice place to socialize your dog or have your dog try agility on the other side, but it's not a walking place for owners and dogs. I simply want to walk my dog on a leash around the park.  I agree it's not fun having dog 💩 anywhere & the possibility to step in it.  Maybe we shouldn't allow irresponsible parents with their kids at the park either.  

Dobby

12 hours ago, Guest GUEST said:

WAIT A MINUTE.

So what you are saying is that if I attend the meetings, speak my mind, then council will listen.  Huh.........................That is what is supposed to happen.  Unfortunately jt85 is correct.  Most of the time you are just wasting your breath, not always, but most of the time.  Where I live, our council listens, discusses, and actually holds a PUBLIC meeting to further plan before just passing an ordinance, which may happen is this case.  But then again our council isn't a "click" you could say.

Again, these are just my opinions from what I see in your local newspapers, and forums. I'm not trying to stir the pot.

So you would rather "waste your breath" on here instead of to someone who might actually be able to listen and help!? Seems kind of counterproductive to me and pointless other than to simply "waste your breath." 

No one insisted that you're trying to stir the pot. People have only suggested alternatives to get your point across instead of simply putting it on a forum. 

7 hours ago, NikonSniper said:

The typical let's be reactive instead of proactive approach used by many Western Pa boroughs, towns, and cities.

Next you'll be hearing complaints and police calls about the kids and adults riding their bikes, skate boards, and roller blades on the sidewalks and streets.

With the high drug use, high drug dealing, and crime from both in our areas one would think the law enforcement resources and time would be better spent on that instead of city park patrol/harassment....

If you read the paper, there is typically someone in there who has been arrested in the DuBois area for drugs. To say they're not trying to combat drugs or spending time elsewhere is not a fair assumption. This is like comparing combating drugs to investigating other crimes or 911 calls. Enforcing ordinances is part of their daily jobs duties, I believe! 

1 hour ago, DuB814 said:

So you would rather "waste your breath" on here instead of to someone who might actually be able to listen and help!? Seems kind of counterproductive to me and pointless other than to simply "waste your breath." 

No one insisted that you're trying to stir the pot. People have only suggested alternatives to get your point across instead of simply putting it on a forum. 

See u said the big word there. MIGHT... which in turns means nope. They let it in one ear and out the other and what they decide is the outcome. Anyone can hear others opinions but that’s all it is unless u take that opinion and put it into consideration on whatever matter. Sandy township has changed their leaders and I think it’s time for DuBois to do the same. When people in office make up a position to keep a certain someone In Charge and be in more charge than the mayor himself there’s a problem. Stop making our town a monopoly and run it like a real town what people need not want. We don’t need an Olive Garden we need industry jobs. Jobs where a family can make a living. Stop making parking lots and parks and then make bogus ordinances that people will not follow. And one more rant how the hell can the water company charge 150$ for a turn on fee if someone is having a hard time paying their bill in the first place. I read the sign while paying my bill and about had a heart attack.

1 hour ago, Dobby said:

I love wasting my breath on here. It's one of my favorite things to waste 😎

Yes I really don't think I'm wasting my breath though. I breath normally while I type. I don't need to say my thoughts out loud. 

2 hours ago, jt85 said:

When people in office make up a position to keep a certain someone In Charge and be in more charge than the mayor himself there’s a problem. 

Fifty-three Pennsylvania cities are cities of the third class. There are four major organizational models, with variations, among Pennsylvania’s third-class cities. They are: commission form, mayor-council form, council-manager form and weak mayor-council form.

• DuBois  has a council-manager:
  • COUNCIL-MANAGER

In the council-manager form, all authority is lodged with council, composed of five, seven or nine members elected at-large for four-year overlapping terms.

The city manager or administrator, usually a professional hired by council, is the chief administrative officer of the city and is responsible for executing the ordinances of council. The manager hires and fires department heads and subordinates. A mayor may be chosen by council from among its members.

The city treasurer and city controller are elected at-large for four-year terms. They must be accountants. The treasurer is also the tax collector, responsible for city, school district and, in some cases, county taxes. The controller is responsible for examining and auditing city accounts and expenditures.

The engineer, appointed by council, must be a registered civil engineer. He or she prepares plans, specifications and estimates of all engineering work related to construction, reconstruction, maintenance and repair of streets, pavements, sewers, bridges and culverts.

https://pennreporter.wordpress.com/city-council/third-class-city/

Maybe we shouldn't allow irresponsible parents with their kids at the park either.  or the ones that dont know where they are or what they are doing...drugs, breaking things at the park, trashing the restrooms

To achieve the title of old and wise, you must first be young and dumb :P

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak. :P

• parks and recreational areas, including the walkways, would only be open from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m., unless there’s a city-approved activity. WHY  NO EVERYBODY DOES THINGS AT SAME TIME
  •  
  • Individuals over the age of 12 years old would be prohibited from use of the playground equipment.  This would also include the swings. I LIKE TO SIT ON A SWING WHEN GRANDKIDS ARE HERE....12 REALLY?
  •  
  • Individuals would be prohibited from swimming, sitting, wading, splashing water from or throwing any object into any fountains, waterfalls or similar water features. NO MORE WISHING WELLS
  •  
  • Non-DuBois City authorized motor vehicles would be forbidden in the parks or recreational, aside from parking areas.OK
  •  
  • Bicycles, skateboards, roller-skates, hoverboards, segways and electric/manual scooters would be forbidden. It was noted that council would likely add any newer products, similar to those already listed, when they come out mainstream.STUPID....DID I SAY THIS IS REALLY STUPID...JUST RIDE THEM DOWN THE BLVD
  •  
  • Any animals, which can be ridden, would be forbidden from the city’s recreational areas without a permit.  Horses, cows, pigs and elephants were named specifically as examples. However, the permit requirement would not be limited to just these animals.LOL  WOW , JUST WOW
  •  
  • Pets would be prohibited at the city’s parks and recreation areas, except for at the dog park and the walkway area, which is marked dog-friendly. Service dogs are an exception, but not a “comfort animal.”  In approved areas, dogs are still required to be on a leash. STUPID 
  •  
  • Open fires would be prohibited.  Special permits, however, would be given for use of the city fire pits.  The fires would have to be fully extinguished and the coal and or ashes removed afterwards. OK
  •  
  • Consuming drugs and or alcohol and being under the influence would be prohibited within the park and recreational areas. DUH!!
  •  
  • Smoking would be prohibited outside of the designated areas. STUPID....YOU ARE OUTSIDE
  •  
  • Resisting, obstructing or refusing to obey a lawful order from a city officer would be forbidden within the recreational areas. DEFINE CITY OFFICER...
  •  
  • Without the proper permit, the use of sling-shots, firecrackers, arrows, explosives, etc. would be prohibited within city recreational areas. OK
  •  
  • Hunting would be forbidden in the city’s recreational areas. It's A SAFETY ZONE BUT OK
  •  
  • Begging and soliciting would be prohibited. BETTER TO DO IT AT WALMART, OR TREASURE LAKE GATE
  •  
  • Any lewd, immoral or indecent acts would be prohibited. DEFINED BY WHO?
  •  
  • Vandalism, loitering, gambling, abusive language and sitting on tables would be prohibited.LOITERING?....It's A PARK....THAT'S WHAT YOU DO
  •  
  • Day- or night-camping without a special permit would be forbidden.OK
  •  

To achieve the title of old and wise, you must first be young and dumb :P

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak. :P

21 minutes ago, WMJ77 said:

Maybe we shouldn't allow irresponsible parents with their kids at the park either.  or the ones that dont know where they are or what they are doing...drugs, breaking things at the park, trashing the restrooms

This is exactly why they are making all of these rules.

So far this topic has some great comments and as I would say at work “least best” and needs to be worked with.

The proposed ordinances are meant to keep the low life’s and idiots maybe under control.

As far as dogs in the park a few years ago I was watching my grandkids play in the under 12 area and a older lady was allowing her precious little pooch to do it’s business in the wood chips. I told her what an idiot she was and she still thought it was okay.

22 minutes ago, BigT said:

As far as dogs in the park a few years ago I was watching my grandkids play in the under 12 area and a older lady was allowing her precious little pooch to do it’s business in the wood chips. I told her what an idiot she was and she still thought it was okay.

They sell the the doggie bags in a container that clips on your leash. Also, you can put in one of your pockets a plastic grocery bag or doggie bag. There is no excuse for not cleaning up after your dog whenever you aren’t at home!!

13 hours ago, jt85 said:

See u said the big word there. MIGHT... which in turns means nope. They let it in one ear and out the other and what they decide is the outcome. Anyone can hear others opinions but that’s all it is unless u take that opinion and put it into consideration on whatever matter. Sandy township has changed their leaders and I think it’s time for DuBois to do the same. When people in office make up a position to keep a certain someone In Charge and be in more charge than the mayor himself there’s a problem. Stop making our town a monopoly and run it like a real town what people need not want. We don’t need an Olive Garden we need industry jobs. Jobs where a family can make a living. Stop making parking lots and parks and then make bogus ordinances that people will not follow. And one more rant how the hell can the water company charge 150$ for a turn on fee if someone is having a hard time paying their bill in the first place. I read the sign while paying my bill and about had a heart attack.

No, I said the big phrase. "Run for council to change what it is that you want to change." If you cannot run for council for any reason then vote new members in. 

It is obvious this is going to go nowhere. My first point, as I and another previously said, run for council and fix the issues. My second point, typing on a forum will do nothing to fix the issues. As far as the water, I am not sure about that. I do recall when I first purchased my home in TL years ago, all of my utilities made me down a hefty deposit. My electric company made me put down $250 for a deposit. $150 doesn't sound too bad compared to that. I rest my points. 

1 hour ago, WMJ77 said:
  • parks and recreational areas, including the walkways, would only be open from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m., unless there’s a city-approved activity. WHY  NO EVERYBODY DOES THINGS AT SAME TIME
  •  
  • Individuals over the age of 12 years old would be prohibited from use of the playground equipment.  This would also include the swings. I LIKE TO SIT ON A SWING WHEN GRANDKIDS ARE HERE....12 REALLY?
  •  
  • Individuals would be prohibited from swimming, sitting, wading, splashing water from or throwing any object into any fountains, waterfalls or similar water features. NO MORE WISHING WELLS
  •  
  • Non-DuBois City authorized motor vehicles would be forbidden in the parks or recreational, aside from parking areas.OK
  •  
  • Bicycles, skateboards, roller-skates, hoverboards, segways and electric/manual scooters would be forbidden. It was noted that council would likely add any newer products, similar to those already listed, when they come out mainstream.STUPID....DID I SAY THIS IS REALLY STUPID...JUST RIDE THEM DOWN THE BLVD
  •  
  • Any animals, which can be ridden, would be forbidden from the city’s recreational areas without a permit.  Horses, cows, pigs and elephants were named specifically as examples. However, the permit requirement would not be limited to just these animals.LOL  WOW , JUST WOW
  •  
  • Pets would be prohibited at the city’s parks and recreation areas, except for at the dog park and the walkway area, which is marked dog-friendly. Service dogs are an exception, but not a “comfort animal.”  In approved areas, dogs are still required to be on a leash. STUPID 
  •  
  • Open fires would be prohibited.  Special permits, however, would be given for use of the city fire pits.  The fires would have to be fully extinguished and the coal and or ashes removed afterwards. OK
  •  
  • Consuming drugs and or alcohol and being under the influence would be prohibited within the park and recreational areas. DUH!!
  •  
  • Smoking would be prohibited outside of the designated areas. STUPID....YOU ARE OUTSIDE
  •  
  • Resisting, obstructing or refusing to obey a lawful order from a city officer would be forbidden within the recreational areas. DEFINE CITY OFFICER...
  •  
  • Without the proper permit, the use of sling-shots, firecrackers, arrows, explosives, etc. would be prohibited within city recreational areas. OK
  •  
  • Hunting would be forbidden in the city’s recreational areas. It's A SAFETY ZONE BUT OK
  •  
  • Begging and soliciting would be prohibited. BETTER TO DO IT AT WALMART, OR TREASURE LAKE GATE
  •  
  • Any lewd, immoral or indecent acts would be prohibited. DEFINED BY WHO?
  •  
  • Vandalism, loitering, gambling, abusive language and sitting on tables would be prohibited.LOITERING?....It's A PARK....THAT'S WHAT YOU DO
  •  
  • Day- or night-camping without a special permit would be forbidden.OK
  •  

Falls Creek and Brockway have parks without these restrictions that you can use. 

and so it begins.

Punish the law abiding citizens who pay taxes.

:pound:

for those that want to protest I have several elephants and pigs you can borrow to ride through the park. I will bring a lawn chair and observe from the sidelines, like on here LOL

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Every time the Government IMPOSES new Regulations to Protect Us, we LOSE a Little MORE of our FREEDOMS....

MORE Government = LESS Freedom