GoDuBois.com
mr.d

DuBois City Looks To Increase Restrictions In Recreation Areas

1 hour ago, DuB814 said:

Falls Creek and Brockway have parks without these restrictions that you can use. 

And why can they do it but we need more rules:popcorn:

To achieve the title of old and wise, you must first be young and dumb :P

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak. :P

I just sent this link to the people in charge.....told them to read all of it.....might as well waste more time and air....will see what reply we get:popcorn:

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak. :P

I hope they get rid of the elephants and pigs ruling. Seriously, it makes the whole thing sound laughable.  Perhaps horses would have been more relevant. If the powers that be are going to be reading this perhaps they would also consider the fact that some of us work on the walkway. Currently we, (Down to Earth Garden Club) take care of the beds and move hundreds of pounds of mulch to them. We use motor vehicles. No one has ever questioned it. Do we have to switch to wagons and wheelbarrows since elephants and pigs are out?

26 minutes ago, lavender said:

I hope they get rid of the elephants and pigs ruling. Seriously, it makes the whole thing sound laughable.  Perhaps horses would have been more relevant. If the powers that be are going to be reading this perhaps they would also consider the fact that some of us work on the walkway. Currently we, (Down to Earth Garden Club) take care of the beds and move hundreds of pounds of mulch to them. We use motor vehicles. No one has ever questioned it. Do we have to switch to wagons and wheelbarrows since elephants and pigs are out?

thank you for making it look nice

working..... and trying to keep 2 teenagers out of trouble and not be a park problem

3 hours ago, WMJ77 said:

I just sent this link to the people in charge.....told them to read all of it.....might as well waste more time and air....will see what reply we get:popcorn:

I compliment you for taking the initiative to forward your concerns to the council! At least you're making an effort!!!! 

20 hours ago, Gator11 said:

and so it begins.

Punish the law abiding citizens who pay taxes.

:pound:

for those that want to protest I have several elephants and pigs you can borrow to ride through the park. I will bring a lawn chair and observe from the sidelines, like on here LOL

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

That's a great offer, but I just want to warn you.  Sitting in the lawn chair might fall under the no loitering thing....

On 6/1/2019 at 10:42 AM, DuB814 said:

No, I said the big phrase. "Run for council to change what it is that you want to change." If you cannot run for council for any reason then vote new members in. 

It is obvious this is going to go nowhere. My first point, as I and another previously said, run for council and fix the issues. My second point, typing on a forum will do nothing to fix the issues. As far as the water, I am not sure about that. I do recall when I first purchased my home in TL years ago, all of my utilities made me down a hefty deposit. My electric company made me put down $250 for a deposit. $150 doesn't sound too bad compared to that. I rest my points. 

I’m glad u finally rested ur point because I don’t get ur point one bit. I don’t want to run for no legal criminal. I like being a well trained citizen. When this town goes to hell in a handbag I’ll sit and watch. I pay my taxes and my bills and work when I’m supposed to. I don’t cause trouble and definitely don’t want the headache. So I’ll let the legal criminals do their job because eventually the ones that run it now will somedays be dust in the wind and new criminals will take over. 

21 hours ago, DuB814 said:

Attend a meeting and ask those questions to people who can answer them.

Yet you won’t get a true answer just some run around talk that has nothing to do with the actually question.

On 6/1/2019 at 10:47 AM, DuB814 said:

Falls Creek and Brockway have parks without these restrictions that you can use. 

Attitudes like this is exactly why area people take their business and $$$$ to places like State College, Altoona, Grove City, Pittsburgh, etc....

The old "If you don't like it here go somewhere else" attitude.

With all the for sale signs popping up on homes in the area it looks like many are doing exactly that.....

1 hour ago, jt85 said:

I’m glad u finally rested ur point because I don’t get ur point one bit. I don’t want to run for no legal criminal. I like being a well trained citizen. When this town goes to hell in a handbag I’ll sit and watch. I pay my taxes and my bills and work when I’m supposed to. I don’t cause trouble and definitely don’t want the headache. So I’ll let the legal criminals do their job because eventually the ones that run it now will somedays be dust in the wind and new criminals will take over. 

I'm not sure how I could convey my point any more clearly for someone to understand other than making a picture book. I would think any person who made it further than fourth grade would be able to clearly understand my point. There is no easier way than putting it in text, which I did several times. I actually feel bad that you are unable to understand something that is written in text and clearly conveyed. My apologies!  

55 minutes ago, NikonSniper said:

Attitudes like this is exactly why area people take their business and $$$$ to places like State College, Altoona, Grove City, Pittsburgh, etc....

The old "If you don't like it here go somewhere else" attitude.

With all the for sale signs popping up on homes in the area it looks like many are doing exactly that.....

Actually, I would contribute that to lack of sustainable population in the area to increase business activity. Furthermore, as you have seen many times, it is most contributed to Sandy and DuBois not being able to work together that drives businesses away. If you know anything about any previous posts on the majority of this forum, I have been a STRONG advocate for future growth and progression of the DuBois area. Attitudes that encourage someone to voice their opinions to people who can fix their concerns, and attitudes that repetitively point concerned citizens in the right direction to help them convey their messages to the people who can fix it is what we need more of. Attitudes that are clearly not receptive and admittingly objective are the very reasons people are "taking their business and $$$$ elsewhere." I guess that is why the people who are elected to office are in office. Simply put, if they don't know how people with concerns are feeling then how are they supposed to help fix the problems? I guess the old saying holds true: "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink."

1 hour ago, jt85 said:

Yet you won’t get a true answer just some run around talk that has nothing to do with the actually question.

I had gone to a city council meetings to object to a part of a ordinance  that was being discussed for implementation.

I gave the council examples from other municipalities  of their ordinances dealing with the same problem.

The council then removed the part of the ordinance that did not meet my approval.

2 minutes ago, Keyser Soze said:

I had gone to a city council meetings to object to a part of a ordinance  that was being discussed for implementation.

I gave the council examples from other municipalities  of their ordinances dealing with the same problem.

The council then removed the part of the ordinance that did not meet my approval.

Isn't this what we have both been trying to tell them all along? No better testimony than examples of personal experiences. 

10 minutes ago, Keyser Soze said:

Bravo!  That's how it happens!  I don't think any of them are as smart as their constituents might be.  Good ideas come out of the minds of people who want to fix things, not just mandate them.

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who watch them without doing anything"

Albert Einstein

2 minutes ago, Petee said:

Bravo!  That's how it happens!  I don't think any of them are as smart as their constituents might be.  Good ideas come out of the minds of people who want to fix things, not just mandate them.

Most of these ordinances are just copies of other towns. If no one objects to any part of them then it gets passed.

It is easier to get something taken out before it passes.  

On 5/30/2019 at 3:45 PM, Guest Guest said:

NO PETS IN THE CITY PARK.  Is this really a good thing for the city to attempt.  Many people go to the park to walk their dogs daily.  If I lived in the city and was paying tax dollars, which are used for the park by the way, I would be furious.  Sounds like someone needs to keep the officials in check.

Not everyone likes dogs (or other pets).  Also, even leashed and no matter how friendly you think it is, no dog should be trusted around a strangers, especially kids.  Little kids will run up to a dog, and often enough, the kid gets bit.  Plus, a lot of folks don't bother to clean up after their dog.

Reminder:  a dog is a dog.  It is not a child, no matter how much people wish to think of their dog as 'their child'.  All dogs have the potential to bite. In a park full of little kids and other people....take it to the walkway or designated pet areas.  After all, no dog is going to use the swings or take a ride on the merry-go-round.

On 5/31/2019 at 6:13 AM, SunnyinPA said:

When I worked next to the walkway many people rode their bikes, roller skates, and skateboards, etc. as a form of exercise. As a parent this was a safe place for the kids as well as myself to ride without having to worry about traffic. So where will people be allowed to ride their bikes?  Will there be a bike park for such activities? 

While may who ride their implements in the park are cautious and courteous, there are just as many that are not.  You see many racing up and down the walkways without any regard for pedestrians.  A lot of these kids just simply expect foot traffic to move aside for them.  My guess that locally and nation-wide there have been numerous accidents with bikes and skaters and pedestrians.  Banning bikes and skaters on walkways might be an insurance issue as well.

21 minutes ago, hipower said:

I really have very minimal ability to impact this discussion since I reside outside the City I just want to add a detail here.  Recent comments on the Hometown Brockway face book say that dogs, in particular, and I suppose any pets, are not allowed in the park in Brockway.

Most (if not, all) parks have some rules and regulations. People are naive if they think they don't. No dogs and no bikes are common for all the reasons mentioned in this thread. 

2 minutes ago, sapphire said:

Most parks have some rules and regulations. People are naive if they think they don't. No dogs and no bikes are common for all the reasons mentioned in this thread. 

Agreed, I believe the riding of bikes, etc. in the park itself is probably warranted.  The walkway maybe not so much.  But again my dog isn't in this fight.

4 hours ago, hipower said:

I really have very minimal ability to impact this discussion since I reside outside the City I just want to add a detail here.  Recent comments on the Hometown Brockway face book say that dogs, in particular, and I suppose any pets, are not allowed in the park in Brockway.

No way that can't be! DuBois and only DuBois has come up with these rules! Just like DuBois is the only place on earth that has ever raised parking ticket prices. What you're saying is there are other parks that have the same restrictions that DuBois is trying to implement and everyone has survived in that area!? I don't believe you!

Ps... Sense my sarcasm! 

3 hours ago, sapphire said:

Most (if not, all) parks have some rules and regulations. People are naive if they think they don't. No dogs and no bikes are common for all the reasons mentioned in this thread. 

You hit the nail on the head and opened Pandora's box by calling people on here naïve and agreeing with something the City wants to do! God bless you!