GoDuBois.com

Gardens

Anyone have their entire gardens in yet? I have no idea when we'll be able to plant the rest of our plants. I hate to complain when so much of the country is going through so much more hardship with the weather. :( We live in the country and in an elevated area with a long paved driveway. I looked out this afternoon and from the barn all the way through the yard and down the driveway looked like a flowing creek. I can't even imagine what those in low lying areas are going through. I just want one week with no rain. I told hubby that I'm planting on Wednesday if I have to put his fishing waders on. 

Got mine all in and everything is up and growing although my plants took a beating with the heavy wind and rain and I do have some washout areas. Not sure how things look after last nights deluge. I Have been enjoying green onions for a while and will harvest some lettuce in a few days! Looks like a couple dry days first of the week so good luck getting your planting done!

We had several people at the plant sale yesterday who said some of their garden crops have rotted in the ground.  

Master Gardeners can tell you how to stop that from happening! :D  That's what we do!

I'm going to have the rest of it in by tomorrow. This is my third session between the raindrops.  I'm picking lettuce that I got in weeks ago while it was dry. I think that there are areas of the garden that I won't be able to plant this year because it is so wet. We plant too much anyway!

I've got white and yellow peonies blooming. The pink ones will be out soon.  Check out the one in the walled bed at the corner of Second Ave. by Penn State. It is in full bloom. 

On 6/3/2019 at 9:53 PM, lavender said:

I'm going to have the rest of it in by tomorrow. This is my third session between the raindrops.  I'm picking lettuce that I got in weeks ago while it was dry. I think that there are areas of the garden that I won't be able to plant this year because it is so wet. We plant too much anyway!

I've got white and yellow peonies blooming. The pink ones will be out soon.  Check out the one in the walled bed at the corner of Second Ave. by Penn State. It is in full bloom. 

We finally got the plants in yesterday! As to the peonies, once they finally start to bloom, they should be beautiful. As of this afternoon, no blooms.

• 2 months later...

Just an update on this year's garden, our tomatoes not good at all. And we've got one pepper out of 4 dozen planted. The cukes, green and wax beans, squash, beets, kohlrabi, turnips, onions and cabbage did great. I was worried at the beginning because something cut off one cabbage plant, but I kept putting crushed eggshells around them and saved the rest of them.  

Had great eggplants and peppers this year but we grew them under black ground cover on ground that has been fallow for a number of years. Lots of summer squash, kale and cabbage. What green beans that germinated were fine but many didn't germinate. Tomatoes were awful. Everything else was mediocre. The entire yard is in the process of being ditched for drainage. Looks as though a demented gopher has been at work. Oh, and I have some great broom corn if anyone wants to make brooms. 

One zucchini. One stink'n  medium sized zucchini. Kind of funny when I think about how I try to give them away. Cucs were just fair. Same with summer squash. The peppers were as Steelnut described. I ended up with some on stunted plants. I'll follow Petee's advice on pepper growing in the future. Tomatoes were scary slow out of the gate. Loosened the soil around them in early to mid July and within a week they took off.  I ordered an old favorite green bean in early May. The Kwintus pole bean , a nice heavy yielding Roman style bean. Gave some seed to my bother years ago. Later that summer he told me that on two occasions passers by came into his backyard to ask what kind of bean it was. I ordered from Amazon. Checked the tracking in late May to find out it wouldn't arrive until June 17! So beans would be late. Here they were neither Kwintus nor pole beans. An Italian style though. Yields were lower.  What was harvested was enjoyed.One thing though, I didn't see a single Japanese Beetle this year, a first for this garden. All in all I'd give the season a well below average grade. Looking forward to next year.  :)

2 hours ago, Lupara said:

One zucchini. One stink'n  medium sized zucchini. Kind of funny when I think about how I try to give them away. Cucs were just fair. Same with summer squash. The peppers were as Steelnut described. I ended up with some on stunted plants. I'll follow Petee's advice on pepper growing in the future. Tomatoes were scary slow out of the gate. Loosened the soil around them in early to mid July and within a week they took off.  I ordered an old favorite green bean in early May. The Kwintus pole bean , a nice heavy yielding Roman style bean. Gave some seed to my bother years ago. Later that summer he told me that on two occasions passers by came into his backyard to ask what kind of bean it was. I ordered from Amazon. Checked the tracking in late May to find out it wouldn't arrive until June 17! So beans would be late. Here they were neither Kwintus nor pole beans. An Italian style though. Yields were lower.  What was harvested was enjoyed.One thing though, I didn't see a single Japanese Beetle this year, a first for this garden. All in all I'd give the season a well below average grade. Looking forward to next year.  :)

Did you do anything special to not have seen Japanese beetles? Every year we're inundated with them, I'm not a violent person, but when it comes to beetles, those disgusting horn worms, snakes and anything NE Patriot.....I just get the urge to hit something :)

36 minutes ago, steelnut said:

Did you do anything special to not have seen Japanese beetles? Every year we're inundated with them, I'm not a violent person, but when it comes to beetles, those disgusting horn worms, snakes and anything NE Patriot.....I just get the urge to hit something :)

:yes:I sprayed a few times with a homemade solution of Dawn detergent, water and vegetable oil. More for aphids and other tiny  pests. I'm skeptical it kept the beetles away. Formulas available online.