GoDuBois.com
Dobby

MLB DRAFT MONDAY EVENING

I hope this local kid does well, but I don't see his name on any "top 100 draft prospects list". That tells me he is at best a fourth round pick, as such he might be better off taking a a scholarship, getting an education and honing his skills at the college level.

"Any man who can safely drive a car while kissing a pretty girl, simply isn't giving the kiss the attention it deserves"... Albert Einstein

"And how can we win, when fools be king?"

On 6/1/2019 at 9:26 AM, old farm boy said:

I hope this local kid does well, but I don't see his name on any "top 100 draft prospects list". That tells me he is at best a fourth round pick, as such he might be better off taking a a scholarship, getting an education and honing his skills at the college level.

4th round is still a $500-400k signing bonus.  I'd take the money and go professional if picked through round 8.  The money decreases greatly in the 9th.  College will always be there and this may be his only shot to get drafted.  Plus, contracts set aside money that will pay for college after your professional career is over.  He's in a "win-win" situation.

26 minutes ago, Cacao said:

4th round is still a $500-400k signing bonus.  I'd take the money and go professional if picked through round 8.  The money decreases greatly in the 9th.  College will always be there and this may be his only shot to get drafted.  Plus, contracts set aside money that will pay for college after your professional career is over.  He's in a "win-win" situation.

Agreed, but all that is based on "IF" he gets drafted even that high. 

"Any man who can safely drive a car while kissing a pretty girl, simply isn't giving the kiss the attention it deserves"... Albert Einstein

It's a compliment that the Orioles invited him to the pro day, however the way things look now, the Orioles will most likely be taking Catcher Adley Rutshman from Oregon State with the first overall pick.

On 6/1/2019 at 9:26 AM, old farm boy said:

Coming from a small high school works against him as well as not being on a state title winning team.  Being above the Mason-Dixon line also hurts.  At least as far as being listed as a 'top 100'.  However, the kid was invited to a multitude of national player events.  

I am not sure how well professional scouts and draft guys actually follow those prospect lists.  Too many of those lists are based on players paying to be part of their service.  And most of those players (in any sport listing) almost always seem to come from large, winning programs.  I don't think it is even remotely possible that every kid in the country can actually be evaluated.  I would be willing to bet the the 'top 100' lists of the pro scouts is vastly different than the lists produced by these service and/or newspaper listings.

His parents are fairly quiet and reserved and not very likely to blow their own horn about every college and pro program that has made contact with their son.  I would be willing to bet he has received way more calls and inquiries that they will ever talk about in public or even outsiders (to their family) could even surmise.

1 hour ago, Illiterate said:

His parents are fairly quiet and reserved and not very likely to blow their own horn about every college and pro program that has made contact with their son.  I would be willing to bet he has received way more calls and inquiries that they will ever talk about in public or even outsiders (to their family) could even surmise.

Also very true.

I see he has signed a letter of commitment to Kent State. Good move on his part,

5 hours ago, Illiterate said:

Coming from a small high school works against him as well as not being on a state title winning team.  Being above the Mason-Dixon line also hurts.  At least as far as being listed as a 'top 100'.  However, the kid was invited to a multitude of national player events.  

I am not sure how well professional scouts and draft guys actually follow those prospect lists.  Too many of those lists are based on players paying to be part of their service.  And most of those players (in any sport listing) almost always seem to come from large, winning programs.  I don't think it is even remotely possible that every kid in the country can actually be evaluated.  I would be willing to bet the the 'top 100' lists of the pro scouts is vastly different than the lists produced by these service and/or newspaper listings.

Justin's brother Jake plays college baseball. He is very good. The whole family is very nice.

Looks like Justin was selected in 35th. round by the Baltimore Orioles. Another local kid from Punxsutawney also with Kent State ties  Johnny Matthews went in the 8th to the Texas Rangers. Any other local picks? 

9 minutes ago, Hostofchucks said:

Looks like Justin was selected in 35th. round by the Baltimore Orioles. Another local kid from Punxsutawney also with Kent State ties  Johnny Matthews went in the 8th to the Texas Rangers. Any other local picks? 

So what does that mean for him?

5 minutes ago, Lyndsey33 said:

So what does that mean for him?

Being picked in round 35 isn't going to be lucrative enough for him to pass up the scholarship he has in hand at Kent State.

Had he gone in the first five rounds, possibly 10, the situation would have been much different.

"Be still, my fingers, be still" - fedup

13 hours ago, Vader said:

Being picked in round 35 isn't going to be lucrative enough for him to pass up the scholarship he has in hand at Kent State.

Had he gone in the first five rounds, possibly 10, the situation would have been much different.

College is probably the better overall choice considering the round.  One injury and it can be pretty much over as far as the athletic career, so might as well take advantage of a sure thing...the education.

2 minutes ago, Illiterate said:

College is probably the better overall choice considering the round.  One injury and it can be pretty much over as far as the athletic career, so might as well take advantage of a sure thing...the education.

Every player selected in the MLB draft has a financial safety net to attend college after their playing career.  For instance, if a player elects to sign with their MLB club and has a career ending injury in August.  That player is allotted $40k/year for the next 4 years to use towards education.  If not, they don't get that money, it goes back into the union's pool.  It was part of a collective bargaining agreement a few years ago.  They did this to make the decision more enticing and less fatal for high school kids. 

If there was a hate button, I know I would probably get a lot of hates for this, but so be it.  There is nothing wrong with major league sports in general.  I think talented athletes should play and we should watch.  Its super!  However, I feel they just make too much money!  Lots of us work hard.  We don't make a pittance compared to what they make.  I'm not ragging on any particular sport, per se.  Some don't make as much as others, I know.  I think its just ridiculous, though.  No one is worth that kind of money, no one.

Every day is a gift from God; that's why we call it the "present!"

1 minute ago, Polo said:

If there was a hate button, I know I would probably get a lot of hates for this, but so be it.  There is nothing wrong with major league sports in general.  I think talented athletes should play and we should watch.  Its super!  However, I feel they just make too much money!  Lots of us work hard.  We don't make a pittance compared to what they make.  I'm not ragging on any particular sport, per se.  Some don't make as much as others, I know.  I think its just ridiculous, though.  No one is worth that kind of money, no one.

They are worth every penny they can get. Most players never reach the majors.

I have  a friend who was paid millions of dollars a year in the business world. Players are no different. Sports is their business.When they reach the top they should be well compensated. 

30 minutes ago, Polo said:

They make that much because someone is willing to pay them that much.  I don't begrudge players for making millions.  I don't begrudge owners for making millions/billions.  We patrons are the ones who make them rich by purchasing tickets, merchandise, etc.

No you gotta go MLB! You could get in an car accident, get a serious injury, get Ebola, be in drive by shooting.  DON'T worry about education. Take the chance & live & learn!

Dobby

4 minutes ago, Dobby said:

No you gotta go MLB! You could get in an car accident, get a serious injury, get Ebola, be in drive by shooting.  DON'T worry about education. Take the chance & live & learn!

True.  BUT, could go to college, improve his play and in two years get picked a lot higher.  Even get picked in a spot with a "slot value" assigned.  So, instead of simply signing a contract, he could sign a contract with a signing bonus.  Going to college is not only about the education...it's about improving your baseball play against greater competition.

4 hours ago, Polo said:

Unless they happen to be a 'slotted' draft pick, the signing bonus isn't that great.  Minor league ball players (at the AAA level) only make about $2100 a month during the season, which only lasts about 5 months.  They don't get paid for spring training or off-season workouts.  They get about $25/day for meal money.  The wages are even less at lower levels.  Once you get around the 8th round and lower, signing bonuses are not that much...most get significantly less than $100K.  And through all this, if you are drafted, the drafting team essentially owns you for the next 6 to 12 years.

Relatively few reel in the massive salaries.  While I would agree their salaries are way out of proportion to other (hard working) occupations, I see no problem with players getting as much as they can.  Hey, if someone is willing to pay it, no reason not to take it!  Reality is that you are worth exactly as much as someone is willing to pay.  As an owner, I would happily pay $20 million a year for a player if he is going get me $30-40million!