GoDuBois.com

When did McDonald's move from the boulevard?

Dobby

The kid & I were talking about cruising & we were at the auto store & I walked him over & showed him how we would whip out of McDonald's with our cars side by side & cruise down & turn around at the library. His reply was, " we were lucky". Just the look on his face as he gazed down the boulevard & I explained that there were a few less stop lights on the route. I was so happy to have this experience with him & it was without a damn smart phone in his hand or hearing about the lastest meme.

The library?!?! That must have been the shortened "straight-line" route when cruising was starting to flatline.

Back in the early- to mid-80's, it was out of McDonald's with a right at Park, down to Shankel's and left up through town. Of course, that was when there were actually a few things, other than old-age homes, still in the downtown area.

1 hour ago, Titan said:

I'm going to guess it was around 1990 to 1991 that they moved.  I'm real curious to learn the exact date.

Crusin' McDonalds to the library over and over was the thing.  Those were truly great times.

The Walmart site opened in 1993 so my guess would be McDonald`s moved  that year or 1994

Red Lobster opened in 1995 

8 hours ago, Keyser Soze said:

The Walmart site opened in 1993 so my guess would be McDonald`s moved  that year or 1994

Red Lobster opened in 1995 

Good point about the WalMart opening year.  But after reading your post I seem to remember McDonalds being open at that location before the opening of WalMart.

Over the years the cruising loop got shortened a lot.  In the early 60's we traveled Long Ave, Brady St/Boulevard/B-Line and back again.  One end was at Bailey's with the other at the rear of the old train station on Franklin St, now the Cherry Law offices.  Far fewer traffic lights to contend with in those days.  I'm not sure there was a traffic light from one end of the Boulevard to the other.  The drag races across there were interesting as well as those from Bailey's going either direction.  The interstate was just being built so the traffic on 255 was much lighter in those days.   Different times, maybe not all for the better.

Apologies for the digression from the original topic and the trip down memory lane.

1 hour ago, Titan said:

Good point about the WalMart opening year.  But after reading your post I seem to remember McDonalds being open at that location before the opening of WalMart.

In my Bell of Pa phone book from 1992 Mc Donalds is listed with the Liberty Blvd address

In the 93 book their address is Rt 255

No Walmart listed in 92 but it is listed in 93

On 6/1/2019 at 6:35 PM, YourBoy said:

McDonald’s, Wendy’s, mr donut. Kids had tons of places to go after school. Now all they have is sheetz 

Before McDonald's, the Mr. Donut building housed our first fast food enterprise, Winky's.  Where the McDonald's building was an in ground trampoline business operated where folks could pay to jump up and down by the hour.  The Hitching Post didn't exist until the Army Reserve center moved their headquarters over to their last site off of Maple Avenue.  The face of DuBois has changed a lot over the years, yet much remains the same.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/3/2019 at 8:56 AM, hipower said:

Before McDonald's, the Mr. Donut building housed our first fast food enterprise, Winky's.  Where the McDonald's building was an in ground trampoline business operated where folks could pay to jump up and down by the hour.  The Hitching Post didn't exist until the Army Reserve center moved their headquarters over to their last site off of Maple Avenue.  The face of DuBois has changed a lot over the years, yet much remains the same.

I still miss Winky's.:Sad_014:

Is it sold? Have to tell a friend of mine if it is sold. Geocache hidden close by & he put a lot of money & time into it & previous owners were aware. Thank for any updated information on this. I also Love the DuBois history that everyone has shared!! It beats Google & going to the place down town for information on it if my hours are not applicable to theirs.