GoDuBois.com

27 minutes ago, pineappleology said:

That is the annual state inspection. Nobody ever got fired over that sort of thing. They give them a number of days to correct it and they go on from there. The state inspectors always find something. One year the biggie was uncleaned dryer ducts. They got several facilities that year. 

16 hours ago, k said:

You are woefully uniformed if you think it is unheard of for a nursing home to not make a profit, especially in this area.  In rural Pennsylvania the majority of nursing home residents' are not able to pay the $8000 or $9000 monthly fees so their stays are covered by Medicaid. Medicaid pays WELL under the actual cost of care and a not for profit outfit like CKM is mostly Medicaid residents. More often than not the most you can hope for is to break even.

I do understand that. However if a person owns property they will take it. My cousins husband was there for maybe a total of 7 weeks and she had to sign their house over to CKM. Now granted she still gets to live there but the end result is it will not go to a family member but rather to CKM. The family does have to clean it out as well. Hasn't anyone ever heard of someone having to leave up there (or any nursing home , for that matter) and being forced to go elsewhere with lesser services?

"" The measure of success is where preparation and opportunity meet ""

29 minutes ago, BillyC said:

I do understand that. However if a person owns property they will take it. My cousins husband was there for maybe a total of 7 weeks and she had to sign their house over to CKM. Now granted she still gets to live there but the end result is it will not go to a family member but rather to CKM. The family does have to clean it out as well. Hasn't anyone ever heard of someone having to leave up there (or any nursing home , for that matter) and being forced to go elsewhere with lesser services?

That is common practice for any nursing home unless the person’s family wants to write out a check for their care every month. If there is still a  surviving spouse a nursing home will only take 50% of the estate as long as that spouse is still living in the their original home. Know this for a fact from a relative that went through this and the spouse was not at CKM but another area nursing home. I could be wrong but thought if you got a single home from CKM or apartment that you are guaranteed placement if you need. It is very difficult to get placements in local nursing home sometimes because the lack of availability in the level of care the person may need.

:ps:

9 hours ago, jaman said:

The CFO or Business Manager  wouldnt be removed for those offenses.

Who had the power to replace those people at CKM ??...........and how were they chosen , people not from our area could have been "put in "

18 minutes ago, falsecreek said:

Who had the power to replace those people at CKM ??...........and how were they chosen , people not from our area could have been "put in "

Long time board members were probably replaced over the last few years with ones with less ties to the one placed on administrative leave. 

I am just wondering what the yearly audit showed as far as cash flow for operating  CTKM. 

1 hour ago, falsecreek said:

Ed Andrulonis is from the area. Not sure about the other guy 

2 hours ago, slk24 said:

That is common practice for any nursing home unless the person’s family wants to write out a check for their care every month. If there is still a  surviving spouse a nursing home will only take 50% of the estate as long as that spouse is still living in the their original home. Know this for a fact from a relative that went through this and the spouse was not at CKM but another area nursing home. I could be wrong but thought if you got a single home from CKM or apartment that you are guaranteed placement if you need. It is very difficult to get placements in local nursing home sometimes because the lack of availability in the level of care the person may need.

Correct. but if the parents pre planned 5 years 8 years ago, now 7 years ahead by law  and gave property executorship to family before the nursing home, they cant take anything from the family who is executor. No matter what the arrangements are. It requires a lot of preplanning years ahead.  Nobody tells people this until its almost to late. That goes for financials too. If have to put a alot of trust in that family individual.

I don't believe it is legal for a nursing home to take an individual's home and I highly doubt CKM is/was doing that. What I do know is that if your stay in a nursing home is being covered by Medicaid the STATE will try to recoup the funds they spent on the cost of your care from your estate (home) after your death. If you have a spouse still living in the home that won't happen until the spouse dies as well. Sometimes I'm sure that equals the entirety of an individual's estate. It's unfortunate for the family but is it fair for the taxpayers to pay for care for thousands of senior citizens annually while the family gets an inheritance? 

9 minutes ago, jaman said:

Correct. but if the parents pre planned 5 years 8 years ago, now 7 years ahead by law  and gave property executorship to family before the nursing home, they cant take anything from the family who is executor. No matter what the arrangements are. It requires a lot of preplanning years ahead.  Nobody tells people this until its almost to late. That goes for financials too. If have to put a alot of trust in that family individual.

While you are correct there is also a Pennsylvania state law that allows nursing homes to go after children for parental care. It was apparently not used very often except in cases where children were wealthy or had rendered parents indigent so the state had to care for them but is becoming more popular as nursing home care becomes more expensive. Any non-profit nursing home will not remove a resident unless they become unable to care for them. The private for profit ones can do so. Non profits will accept what is available Social Security, Medicare or Medicaid. Those payments do not cover the cost  of care and Medicaid doesn't pay unless the patient has no assets hence the arrangement with houses.  Somebody has to make up the difference and that somebody is the patients who can afford to pay for their care. In a nursing home that isn't many where costs are very high exceeding $50,000 a year.  It is a dilemma. People think nursing home care should be free but nothing is free. Somebody has to pay for it and the cost is very high. Anyone who can would be wise to look into long term care insurance if they want to preserve an estate for their children. 

17 minutes ago, lavender said:

While you are correct there is also a Pennsylvania state law that allows nursing homes to go after children for parental care. It was apparently not used very often except in cases where children were wealthy or had rendered parents indigent so the state had to care for them but is becoming more popular as nursing home care becomes more expensive. Any non-profit nursing home will not remove a resident unless they become unable to care for them. The private for profit ones can do so. Non profits will accept what is available Social Security, Medicare or Medicaid. Those payments do not cover the cost  of care and Medicaid doesn't pay unless the patient has no assets hence the arrangement with houses.  Somebody has to make up the difference and that somebody is the patients who can afford to pay for their care. In a nursing home that isn't many where costs are very high exceeding $50,000 a year.  It is a dilemma. People think nursing home care should be free but nothing is free. Somebody has to pay for it and the cost is very high. Anyone who can would be wise to look into long term care insurance if they want to preserve an estate for their children. 

:thanks::goodpost: Yes.   The state steps in with their law.  Most Nursing Homes even in this area are around $72,000. I'll opt for home care as long as I can. Because of this law they will probably make me broke too unless my member goes quick.  Like I said, people dont tell you about long term care insurance until its too late.  I beleive that there should be payment but not all of someone's or family member's life savings.  They should accept SS, Medicaid. and medicare. I find it very hard even with paying employees a prevailing wage its costs $6000 plus per month. I think long term should be part of health care insurance.

I won't comment on what is going on because I don't know and refuse to speculate. I just wanted to say that we've had two relatives in CKM and they were given excellent care, not one single complaint from them or our family members. 

"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler."

-- Jack Lambert --

1 hour ago, Dobby said:

So when you buy a house & then die they buy it back?

Well you don't have to die. Some people go into the personal care home or nursing home and I suppose some just move out. They must sell back to the facility. It gets tricky after that. I think every transaction may be tailored to the individual and their resources. If you ask what one of them costs it is difficult to get a straight answer. We asked at an open house and all we got was an offer to discuss it so I'm not sure how it is handled. 

From what I know is your monthly payment on the house is based on how much you can put down up front.  Then when you move out of the house, you get 80% back of what you put down up front.  You are also guaranteed a spot in the nursing home.  Not sure how payment would be  if there would be a couple in the house and one moves to nursing home and one state in house.

C the KM appears to have had DIRTY STICKY FINGERS( " appears " )so the care was UNCLEAN. .........just an observation  and will be subject to dis-agreement.....(..is this a FEderal or STATE  or IRS walk em out the door ?....that part is facts. )

IF there were dirty, sticky fingers at CKM they were not the fingers of the caregivers so please don't say that the care there is unclean. That's not fair to the many folks that work very hard at CKM (and other nursing homes)  to do a pretty thankless job that most of us would not/could not do. As for the administration there, I have not seen a report of any wrongdoing on the part of those placed on leave. That may change in the days ahead but as of right now these are people who have simply lost their jobs for reasons unknown. I'm sure none of us would like to have the fact that we were removed from our jobs on the front page of the paper. Unless and until they are charged with a crime I am going to assume that they were simply not good at their jobs and leave it at that. 

18 minutes ago, k said:

< "IF there were dirty, sticky fingers at CKM they were not the fingers of the caregivers so please don't say that the care there is unclean. That's not fair to the many folks that work very hard at CKM (and other nursing homes)  to do a pretty thankless job that most of us would not/could not do." > 

I totally agree and that's how rumors get started. 

The laws regarding how nursing home care is paid are set by Pennsylvania, not the nursing home.  When there is a surviving spouse or a handicapped child, they may not touch the house, but if both owners pass away and there is a bill left, then the nursing home may attach the home before it is sold for payment of the balance of the bill.When the estate is settled, then the bill must be paid.

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who watch them without doing anything"

Albert Einstein

13 hours ago, Petee said:

The laws regarding how nursing home care is paid are set by Pennsylvania, not the nursing home.  When there is a surviving spouse or a handicapped child, they may not touch the house, but if both owners pass away and there is a bill left, then the nursing home may attach the home before it is sold for payment of the balance of the bill.When the estate is settled, then the bill must be paid.

It would seem that the best way to leave this world is exactly the way you arrived. Naked and financially insolvent..

49 minutes ago, JimmyPete said:

What if you own your parents house?  Everything is in your name and not theirs?   How does that work?

It's yours and the state can't touch it (provided that you have owned it for the minimum 7 yrs if it was previously in their names). 

20 minutes ago, sapphire said:

It's yours and the state can't touch it (provided that you have owned it for the minimum 7 yrs if it was previously in their names). 

If your parents sold their home to you it MUST have been purchased for fair market value.