GoDuBois.com
steelnut

Cell Phones and Plans

I think I've finally talked my Mom into getting a cell phone.

I'm looking for recommendations, advice, experiences, etc. Senior citizen plans?

After I left her place this morning I went to Walmart just to check on some phones. I can get her an IPhone 6 for $149 or a 7 for $299. I didn't even price the newer ones, way too much money for her. I was running out of time so I didn't get to check out the other phones. The associate only recommended Straight Talk, I'm just not too sure about it.

So if anyone could weigh in on phones, plans, discounts, etc. I would very much appreciate it, thanks!

"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler."

-- Jack Lambert --

1 hour ago, steelnut said:

I'm looking for recommendations, advice, experiences, etc. Senior citizen plans?

After I left her place this morning I went to Walmart just to check on some phones. I can get her an IPhone 6 for $149 or a 7 for $299. I didn't even price the newer ones, way too much money for her. I was running out of time so I didn't get to check out the other phones. The associate only recommended Straight Talk, I'm just not too sure about it.

So if anyone could weigh in on phones, plans, discounts, etc. I would very much appreciate it, thanks!

Check out Jitterbug...Verizon network, bigger easy to use phones. Relatively inexpensive, but covers the basics.  Depending on age, the usual smart phones can be more complex then needed and the small icons and such can be difficult to use.  Know some folks that use them and they do like them.

Got my mom a cell phone with Straight Talk service years ago and never an issue.

I use Tracfone and pay $20.99 every 3 months. I do more texting than calling and you can update texting for just $5 for 1000 texts.

All minutes carry over to the next month. I paid $99 dollars for my Samsung smart phone (GREAT PHONE) which in on its 3rd year.
Tracfone also uses Verizon towers. 

8 minutes ago, Pompeii said:

I use Tracfone and pay $20.99 every 3 months. I do more texting than calling and you can update texting for just $5 for 1000 texts.

All minutes carry over to the next month. I paid $99 dollars for my Samsung smart phone (GREAT PHONE) which in on its 3rd year.
Tracfone also uses Verizon towers also. 

This is what my parents use and love it

6 hours ago, Pompeii said:

Tracfone also uses Verizon towers. 

This sounds perfect and makes me want to switch for hubby and I. I thought $45/month was a little high for Straight Talk for my Mom.

While I'm thinking of changing for us, do you have good service out of our area? I'm thinking with Verizon towers, you probably do.

Thank you and thanks to all who have given advice, much appreciated!

"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler."

-- Jack Lambert --

This sounds perfect and makes me want to switch for hubby and I. I thought $45/month was a little high for Straight Talk for my Mom.

While I'm thinking of changing for us, do you have good service out of our area? I'm thinking with Verizon towers, you probably do.

No problem in the DuBoIs Area with service.
If you are interested in the same plan as I have, you must register that plan & phone online yourself and choose the "basic 60 minute phone plan" and select 'auto-refill" for every 3 months. If you have any questions please PM me..

Just be aware that not all TracFones use Verizon towers. Check the map on the box (pretty sure Verizon's map is red) and make sure the phone is CDMA.  It should also have LTE- V on the packaging and/or a C or VL at the end of the model number for Verizon. 

1 hour ago, Pompeii said:

If you are interested in the same plan as I have, you must register that plan & phone online yourself and choose the "basic 60 minute phone plan" and sect 'auto-refill" for every 3 months. If you have any questions please PM me..

Thanks so much, I'm going to try and get her to agree on this plan this weekend, everyone wish me luck. She's just set in her ways and I keep telling her that this way when she's out and about, she'll have a way to contact us if she needs us and she has friends with cells, she's slowly coming around......fingers crossed.... 

-- Jack Lambert --

49 minutes ago, sapphire said:

Just be aware that not all TracFones use Verizon towers. Check the map on the box (pretty sure Verizon's map is red) and make sure the phone is CDMA.  It should also have LTE- V on the packaging and/or a C or VL at the end of the model number for Verizon. 

I have to get off here, but I want to make sure I get it. You must buy a phone from Tracfone, right? I'll check their sight tomorrow to see what's available. TY!

-- Jack Lambert --

7 minutes ago, steelnut said:

I have to get off here, but I want to make sure I get it. You must buy a phone from Tracfone, right? I'll check their sight tomorrow to see what's available. TY!

You're welcome. You can order from TracFone or get one at Walmart or walmart.com. :gl:

Guest Bill

Does anyone, besides me, use Consumer Cellular? I find it to be great service and value. My bill is $20. I have unlimited text and it seems like unlimited calls. We don't live on it so maybe we just don't reach our limits. You buy your phone on line or Target. They have many phones to choose from and videos/on line help if you need help setting up your phone. I think it uses ATT towers but could be wrong. I do know its not Verizon. Check out their website. You can pay for your phone with your bill. 

On 6/10/2019 at 8:31 PM, Pompeii said:

If you are interested in the same plan as I have, you must register that plan & phone online yourself and choose the "basic 60 minute phone plan" and select 'auto-refill" for every 3 months. If you have any questions please PM me..

I'm still working on my sales pitch for this weekend. I've been re-reading all of the helpful posts. When you say to choose the "basic 60 minute phone plan", does that mean that she only gets 60 minutes a month or for three months? I know she'd use more like 60 minutes a day. I've been checking out Tracfone's site, good deals. Thanks again!

-- Jack Lambert --

2 hours ago, steelnut said:

I'm still working on my sales pitch for this weekend. I've been re-reading all of the helpful posts. When you say to choose the "basic 60 minute phone plan", does that mean that she only gets 60 minutes a month or for three months? I know she'd use more like 60 minutes a day. I've been checking out Tracfone's site, good deals. Thanks again!

You can spend more money and get a one year subscription but its cheaper to get a low priced subscription and add minutes when you need them. I started off getting a 500 minute and 1000 texts and that was plenty enough to get me started.  For the last 3 years I've added more time maybe 3 total times. I also have a house phone so that helps me save minutes when I'm home.

Does you mom have wi-fi at home? On certain phones if you are on wifi it won't subtract minutes on calls.

I text 10X more than I call. 1,000 tests should last her a while.

trac.jpg

On 6/10/2019 at 9:43 PM, steelnut said:

We just got our daughter the LG Rebel 4 for $50 on straighttalk.  I purchased it at Walmart.  It's a nice phone for calls, texts, and some selfie taking.  It might be a nice option for your mom too.

13 hours ago, steelnut said:

If this is going to be her only phone or she is going to use it for more than emergencies, you may want to check out other companies like Cricket (AT&T), Total Wireless or Straight Talk. It looks like you can get unlimited talk and text for around $25/month on both Cricket and Total. (If she needs data, it will be about $10 more). Cricket appears to use AT&T towers but Total and Straight Talk use Verizon towers (Straight Talk depends on the phone....check the box for the map, etc) and she will get more minutes without the hassle of adding all the time. JMO

ETA: Both Total and Straight Talk are owned by TracFone just to add to your confusion. ;)

This explains that difference between Total and Straight Talk:  Both providers operate under one company – TracFone Wireless Inc. However, they offer different plans and use different networks (Total Wireless works on Verizon, while Straight Talk employs Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, and AT&T cell towers).

Hope this helps and hope I haven't added to your confusion. :huh:

21 hours ago, Pompeii said:

You can spend more money and get a one year subscription but its cheaper to get a low priced subscription and add minutes when you need them. I started off getting a 500 minute and 1000 texts and that was plenty enough to get me started.  For the last 3 years I've added more time maybe 3 total times. I also have a house phone so that helps me save minutes when I'm home.

Does you mom have wi-fi at home? On certain phones if you are on wifi it won't subtract minutes on calls.

trac.jpg

Thanks much! She won't text, she thinks it's all nonsense :) It would be just to make phone calls. I so appreciate everyone's advice!

-- Jack Lambert --

21 hours ago, Pompeii said:

trac.jpg

I forgot to ask, what does "no service days" mean? TY!

-- Jack Lambert --

I am not trying to pry into your mom's business so please do not answer any of these questions on here. But if your mom is on Medicaid, S.S.I. is very low income or receives food stamps (SNAP Program) she could qualify for a FREE Cell Phone and FREE Minutes, Texts and Data. It is called SafeLink. It is also through TracFhone and they have Smart Phones and used to have regular Cell Phones. I believe you get 350 Free Minutes, Unlimited Texts and 2.5 GB of Data Free every month. To keep your service active you have to make at least ONE phone call every month. They have phones that use Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile as well. Web site is safelink.com for all the info and to choose your phone and your minutes plan. As I said it is through TracFone also. 

20 hours ago, katman said:

I am not trying to pry into your mom's business so please do not answer any of these questions on here. But if your mom is on Medicaid, S.S.I. is very low income or receives food stamps (SNAP Program) she could qualify for a FREE Cell Phone and FREE Minutes, Texts and Data. It is called SafeLink. It is also through TracFhone and they have Smart Phones and used to have regular Cell Phones. I believe you get 350 Free Minutes, Unlimited Texts and 2.5 GB of Data Free every month. To keep your service active you have to make at least ONE phone call every month. They have phones that use Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile as well. Web site is safelink.com for all the info and to choose your phone and your minutes plan. As I said it is through TracFone also. 

Thanks, I have heard of SafeLink and checked it out. My Mom does qualify but absolutely will not take anything free, she's stubborn. All three of us have tried to talk to her about it, but it's a no go, but I do appreciate your response and information.

-- Jack Lambert --

19 hours ago, steelnut said:

Thanks, I have heard of SafeLink and checked it out. My Mom does qualify but absolutely will not take anything free, she's stubborn. All three of us have tried to talk to her about it, but it's a no go, but I do appreciate your response and information.

You are welcome. Hope you find her a good phone with a good plan.