GoDuBois.com
block

Parade Chairs

Didnt get a pic, but they're appearing on Brady St in front of the old cosmetology school 🤣

Life is what happens to you, when you're busy making other plans ~ John Lennon

17 minutes ago, conservativeman633 said:

Who will get sued when an accident happens from this hazard??

On the other hand, it is a compliment to the excellence of the parade.

Is it illegal to grab one and take it home?  What if two people fight over a chair they both claim??

I'm not sure if it's illegal.  When something is tossed curbside, have always been told it's free for the taking 😀

I find it funny that every year people complain about the chairs. There is way more things to complain about. And yea it’s a bunch of fire trucks. And local marching bands and so forth. It’s called respect and honor. So everyone get out Saturday and enjoy yourself. If not stay home and be grumpy there and leave ur terrible vibes there because Saturday is going to be a wonderful day at my house hahahahahaha.

I heard the alien Invaders at the Taco Bell takeover (government posting a remodeling) stole a sculpture from Cook's Forrest & are heading to the boulevard for lawn chair parts needed for their modulator's repair so after the Taco Bell "reopens" & we've ingested the food the modulator can beam us up to their world & experiment on our digestive system. Of course probing will be necessary to complete the upper & lower GI investigation.

Dobby

Yesterday was in DuBois and just for fun traveled the parade route around noon and did not see a chair any where (may have possibly missed seeing any). Must placed some later.  Only thing I saw at the time was a platform lift in area of old Cosmetology school.

2 hours ago, jt85 said:

I find it funny that every year people complain about the chairs. There is way more things to complain about. And yea it’s a bunch of fire trucks. And local marching bands and so forth. It’s called respect and honor. So everyone get out Saturday and enjoy yourself. If not stay home and be grumpy there and leave ur terrible vibes there because Saturday is going to be a wonderful day at my house hahahahahaha.

No one complained that I can see, just a fun yearly post as to how early we see the chairs appear!

Guest BrendaJ

Just was looking at weather, it is to be perfect the next two days and return to rain on Sunday! Hope everyone enjoys community days!

2 hours ago, Jay said:

It might be just a bunch of fire trucks to some but we enjoy the parade.  It is a nice evening and shows support for the town.  I don't care how early the chairs are out as long as they are not blocking pathways.

Most people really don't care about the chairs.  I don't 'chair up', but I have yet to have an issue finding a good spot to watch.  I usually like to be within the first block or so.  Those in the parade, well, their enthusiasm seems to wain as the parade nears the end.   More fun to watch while they are all fresh and and still excited!

2 hours ago, Jay said:

It might be just a bunch of fire trucks to some but we enjoy the parade.  It is a nice evening and shows support for the town.  I don't care how early the chairs are out as long as they are not blocking pathways.

Agree!  The firemen work hard to put this all together.  I great thing for area families that they can do that doesn't cost an arm and leg.  I love watching the little ones faces.

8 hours ago, conservativeman633 said:

Who will get sued when an accident happens from this hazard??

On the other hand, it is a compliment to the excellence of the parade.

Is it illegal to grab one and take it home?  What if two people fight over a chair they both claim??

It would be illegal.   The chairs aren't abandoned property, someone owns them.   It would be theft & receiving stolen property.   The only way to take property that isn't yours is to have it given/sold to you, or if the property is abandoned of ownership. 

However, I'm pretty sure the City or State could levy some sort of citation for leaving private property on public domain.

5 hours ago, dubois_15801 said:

It would be illegal.   The chairs aren't abandoned property, someone owns them.   It would be theft & receiving stolen property.   The only way to take property that isn't yours is to have it given/sold to you, or if the property is abandoned of ownership. 

However, I'm pretty sure the City or State could levy some sort of citation for leaving private property on public domain.

But, if it's illegal to remove them (read pilfer/commandeer/steal), who exactly would be liable for any injuries incurred while they were lying on the sidewalk?

Wouldn't the property owner be subject to the same ordinance that requires the removal of snow/ice/anti-skid or other hazards from the sidewalk in a timely manner? If so, that would certainly give them the authority to make off with them and do as they pleased.

However, I did notice that the city's new, improved sidewalks are extended to conveniently allow for additional room for chair placement without hindering access to the sidewalks. And here I thought they added that extra foot or so of bricks to the sidewalks for new lighting and other aesthetic reasons. Little did I know it to create more room to place parade chairs. :)

"Be still, my fingers, be still" - fedup

11 hours ago, Pompeii said:

I researched this a few years ago and found hundreds of town and cities that do this.

It must be a parade thing...

Image result for parade chairs

471424_20140718yarmouthchairs0018.jpg

2.jpg

SS_20170703arParadeChairs01.jpg?resize=7

tn_501_0676-e1530687470554.jpg

Image result for paradfe chairs

I think it's a "Bigfoot thing".  :P             

:bigfoot:

legend    

16 hours ago, Vader said:

But, if it's illegal to remove them (read pilfer/commandeer/steal), who exactly would be liable for any injuries incurred while they were lying on the sidewalk?

Wouldn't the property owner be subject to the same ordinance that requires the removal of snow/ice/anti-skid or other hazards from the sidewalk in a timely manner? If so, that would certainly give them the authority to make off with them and do as they pleased.

However, I did notice that the city's new, improved sidewalks are extended to conveniently allow for additional room for chair placement without hindering access to the sidewalks. And here I thought they added that extra foot or so of bricks to the sidewalks for new lighting and other aesthetic reasons. Little did I know it to create more room to place parade chairs. :)

The owner of the chair.

I can tell you that you cannot put ANYTHING on state RoW without a highway occupancy permit(I write several a week).   And many urban municipalities are the same way.    Sidewalk or not, if someone in local or state government wanted to respective to the RoW, they could cite folks.  

However, most towns and the state government typically dont care so long as the sidewalk is passable.