GoDuBois.com
Sign in to follow this  
BillyC

DCC Softball today 6/14/19

44 minutes ago, BillyC said:

Realize this should be in the sports forum however want to give a big shout out and a good luck to the girls softball team playing for the state championship today in State College. GO DCC.

When was the last time a DuBois  High School Team, in any sport, won a PIAA state championship ????

3 minutes ago, conservativeman633 said:

When was the last time a DuBois  High School Team, in any sport, won a PIAA state championship ????

I think their baseball team lost in the finals the year Jim Pittsley was a senior.

Good luck to the Lady Cards!!!!  Williams Valley is a powerhouse in softball.  My heart wants DCC to win, but logic & history tells me they will probably lose by 15.

7 hours ago, Cacao said:

I think their baseball team lost in the finals the year Jim Pittsley was a senior.

Good luck to the Lady Cards!!!!  Williams Valley is a powerhouse in softball.  My heart wants DCC to win, but logic & history tells me they will probably lose by 15.

I think they came close in Bub Maietta's senior year. I might be wrong.

1 hour ago, jaman said:

They had a great season . One bad inning took the momentum away. That's what happens in championships.

Too many mistakes in each inning.  Throwing errors, missed opportunities with pop ups in foul territory, base running errors, etc.  Oh well, fantastic year nonetheless!!!  One game shouldn't define an entire season.

Looks like the Ump decided who was going to win the game.

DCC had an early pitching issue when starter Ashley Wruble was called for four illegal pitches in her first eight tosses walking the first two batters in the bottom of the first as a result. 

“It was the same issue we had in one of our district playoff games,” Heigel said. “That was annyong, and I pretty mich expressed that to (the umpire). We go through the entire year and we had one umpire call that, and then we get to the state championship game  and you have another one.”

http://d9sports.com/dcc-falls-to-williams-valley-in-piaa-title-game/

5 hours ago, Keyser Soze said:

Looks like the Ump decided who was going to win the game.

DCC had an early pitching issue when starter Ashley Wruble was called for four illegal pitches in her first eight tosses walking the first two batters in the bottom of the first as a result. 

“It was the same issue we had in one of our district playoff games,” Heigel said. “That was annyong, and I pretty mich expressed that to (the umpire). We go through the entire year and we had one umpire call that, and then we get to the state championship game  and you have another one.”

http://d9sports.com/dcc-falls-to-williams-valley-in-piaa-title-game/

He might have called it, but she was getting some distance on those hops. I was in the SRO area and it was apparent even at that distance when you started looking for it.

I don't know if the Williams Valley coaches saw it and drew the umpire's attention to it or not but it was what it was.

"Be still, my fingers, be still" - fedup

17 minutes ago, Vader said:

He might have called it, but she was getting some distance on those hops. I was in the SRO area and it was apparent even at that distance when you started looking for it.

I don't know if the Williams Valley coaches saw it and drew the umpire's attention to it or not but it was what it was.

That is the style she pitches. I guess it was okay for most of the other games she pitched in her career.  

2 hours ago, Keyser Soze said:

That is the style she pitches. I guess it was okay for most of the other games she pitched in her career.  

That very well may be, but it doesn't make it any less illegal under the rules. If previous umpires simply overlooked it, then they did her a huge disservice by not calling it and giving her a chance to work on it and make some kind of correction before now.

I also can't say if she was doing it previously to the degree that she was in this game. Could the issue have been that she was excited to be playing in the state title game and was simply pumped up to try to get a little more on the ball than on previous occasions? Certainly. I think that's a distinct possibility.

It also could have been that this particular umpire was more paying more attention than the previous ones. Or it could have been that someone on the opposing coaching staff saw it and asked him to watch.

It might have been all of the above.

Whatever the case, once it was called in this game, you didn't have to look hard to see it for yourself.

The umpire didn't wait for two or three innings and then decide it was bad enough to call. He saw it and he called it early. That's what you expect an umpire to do.

I thought it was a huge credit to DCC that they didn't just start complaining about the umpires and roll over. Instead, they held a team that scored 45 runs in five previous state playoff games to just five. But, the biggest problem they had wasn't the umpires, it was the fact that Williams Valley didn't allow a DCC runner past second in the entire game.

"Be still, my fingers, be still" - fedup

8 hours ago, Vader said:

That very well may be, but it doesn't make it any less illegal under the rules. If previous umpires simply overlooked it, then they did her a huge disservice by not calling it and giving her a chance to work on it and make some kind of correction before now.

I also can't say if she was doing it previously to the degree that she was in this game. Could the issue have been that she was excited to be playing in the state title game and was simply pumped up to try to get a little more on the ball than on previous occasions? Certainly. I think that's a distinct possibility.

It also could have been that this particular umpire was more paying more attention than the previous ones. Or it could have been that someone on the opposing coaching staff saw it and asked him to watch.

It might have been all of the above.

Whatever the case, once it was called in this game, you didn't have to look hard to see it for yourself.

The umpire didn't wait for two or three innings and then decide it was bad enough to call. He saw it and he called it early. That's what you expect an umpire to do.

I thought it was a huge credit to DCC that they didn't just start complaining about the umpires and roll over. Instead, they held a team that scored 45 runs in five previous state playoff games to just five. But, the biggest problem they had wasn't the umpires, it was the fact that Williams Valley didn't allow a DCC runner past second in the entire game.

It was fortunate that DCC had another pitcher that was just as good to replace the starting pitcher.

In class 3A the pitcher from Clearfield really developed into a top notch player. That team will be tough to beat the next three years as will DCC.