GoDuBois.com

Cabbage Plants

steelnut

I am sorry to be constantly asking for advice and tips, but every year I seem to be finding new things that I want to learn about.

So, I started planting cabbage made 7-8 years ago and I had heard about sprinkling egg shells around the base to prevent cut worms, slugs, whatever. It's always worked. I just finally got the rest of the garden planted on 6/4. I did the sprinkling of the egg shells, I checked today and two were cut right off at the base??? Any ideas on what would cross the egg shells and do this? Thanks so much!

Oh and so far, the eggplant and kohlrabi that are in the same raised bed are okay.

Sometimes mice, squirrels or something will bite off a plant. I don't know why they do it because they never eat them.  I used to put a square of aluminum foil around the base of a plant to keep cutworms from biting them off. Haven't had the problem in years though. That might work. 

On 6/14/2019 at 8:39 PM, steelnut said:

I am sorry to be constantly asking for advice and tips, but every year I seem to be finding new things that I want to learn about.

So, I started planting cabbage made 7-8 years ago and I had heard about sprinkling egg shells around the base to prevent cut worms, slugs, whatever. It's always worked. I just finally got the rest of the garden planted on 6/4. I did the sprinkling of the egg shells, I checked today and two were cut right off at the base??? Any ideas on what would cross the egg shells and do this? Thanks so much!

Oh and so far, the eggplant and kohlrabi that are in the same raised bed are okay.

Don't be sorry for doing something that we love to do. Sharing garden advice and tips is a favorite past time for gardeners.

Also, you can contact the Penn State Master Gardeners any time and one of us will be very happy to send you all the researched info you can handle.  That's our job!  We love getting questions.