GoDuBois.com
mr.d

Punxsy Man Charged With Ethnic Intimidation

2 hours ago, Petee said:

How about just not calling anyone else a derogative name or how about getting out of the habit of being angry at others? That includes children, other traffic, old people, church people, messy people, vain people, those with less or more money, noisy teens, people with different backgrounds than yours, spouses (current or past), anybody!

This isn't about the behavior of the other person, it's about yours!!  Want to clean up the world?  Be the change that you dream of. How about helping to change history?  Be someone else's role model for a change!

AND STOP ACTING LIKE A VICTIM.

You left out fat, bald people!  I consider that ethnic intimidation... :pound:

Because, Gentlemen, I don't trust you...  Gunning Bedford, U.S. Constitutional Convention
The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal. Aristotle
First God created idiots.  That was for practice. Then He created school boards. Mark Twain
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. George Santayana

The N word should be eliminated from everybody's vocabulary. White and black.   No exceptions. Which means rappers using it for profiting.  Yes, as I have been saying about the last 2 generations of kids you have to look no further then the parents.  Usually it has to do with the absence of role modeling or discipline for inappropriate behavior.  My brother's long term companion is African American. She is a caring, hard working professional . And is against the use of that language from anybody.  I would step up in a split second for her.

7 hours ago, bob_rx2000 said:

JP, I don't believe the question is about the racist nature of the statement.  That statement, made to a black person by a white person, is in my book racist.  However, the question is if a statement, standing by itself, is criminal?   Something about the 1st amendment to the Constitution... 

Sorry----the 1st amendments has limits.     History tip of the day !!

3 hours ago, bob_rx2000 said:

You left out fat, bald people!  I consider that ethnic intimidation... :pound:

I left out fat old bossy ladies and critical know-it-alls too!  It's not hard to be knowledgeable and allow another person to disagree politely.

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who watch them without doing anything"

Albert Einstein

Hey I'm a mean b****, but I'm respectful to anyone walking pass me. Please & Thank you & excuse me are & should always be taught & used. It's plain old common courtesy. This should not be a debate or an amendment issues. End of discussion & Thank you.

Dobby

5 hours ago, katie77 said:

My son is biracial, he's 16 years old. Multiple times over the last few days he has been called a Ni**er while doing nothing but walking down the street (DuBois). The comments were yelled out car windows by ADULTS!! While it does not bother him, the fact that he has to endure that makes me sick. You have no idea how freely that word is also thrown around by kids his age. Who teaches their children to be so vial? Don't tell me my kid just needs to throw punches because that's how things were handled back in the day. You see he's far from a "sissy" and has no problem defending himself but the local police consider that assault. I hear so much talk about how awful kids are these days.....with what I see from adults lately, it's no wonder. And don't tell me it's just words and he should deal with it because let me tell you something if I ever am with him when something like that gets said...God have mercy on that person's soul cause I will gladly take an assault charge to knock such vial and disgusting words back into someone's mouth. 

I'm sorry your son, and you, have to face such ignorance on a daily basis. 

Nearly all of the comments on this thread disgust me.  Really?!  Really?! C'mon people be better than this. 

1 hour ago, LFG said:

I started not to comment on this thread, because as a southerner a lot of us feel that everyone else in the country already assumes we are racist because we sound like we do. No joke, as much as I run my mouth I'm hesitant to comment when the discussion turns to race, but reading some of these replies I really feel I need to clear the air on some things...

First, and don't take this the wrong way, but a lot of y'all are just ignorant. And yes, Lavender, that includes you. That's not an insult, it's just the truth. How many shades of brown people do y'all have up there? You probably see about as many blacks as I see Amish. You never, EVER, make any remark regarding a black person that could be in any way construed as to be referencing a primate. EVER. End of story.

I'm sure being compared to a female dog in heat offends you, and being a man I cannot relate to how that word brings up the years of persecution and degradation of your people, but have you ever seen a black person be called a monkey? In person? I have. Someone with your vocabulary is not capable of that kind of violence.

Believe me, I'm as politically incorrect as anyone, but even I will admit some cases are worse than others. Redneck? Seriously? Even if you called me a redneck with the most evil of intent, my response would be "Dayum right you effing Yankee".

I think everyone north of VA should be banned from having any input into discussions about race. Y'all like to tell us what we should say, or tell non-white people how they should feel about what we said, but you know what? The majority of "em live down here. Why? Because we're friendly. And it's effing cold up there in February 

You are making the assumption that I at least was raised in a small northern town. That isn't true. I went to both grade school and high school with kids of all colors. I'd say that at least 30-50% of the classes were black. Ditto most of the places I worked. (College was another matter. I think they were mostly Jewish.) I am willing to concede that blacks in the north may have a different take on things than blacks in the south. That however is not the point. If you want to be treated as an equal then it requires that you take the same abuse that anyone else might have to take on occasion. You should not have special laws to protect your sensibilities. If you are willing to reply "Dayum right you effig Yankee" to someone calling you a redneck in a derogatory manner and I'm will to come up with a similar (but more erudite) reply to being called a "b****" then why shouldn't the same thing be expected of anyone else who wants equality? I truly believe in equality for all but special privileges for none. This may make me less sensitive than I should be but I still think that being an adult requires learning to walk away from an insult no matter what it is and realizing that it says more about the one who utters it than it says about the recipient. 

6 hours ago, katie77 said:

My son is biracial, he's 16 years old. Multiple times over the last few days he has been called a Ni**er while doing nothing but walking down the street (DuBois). The comments were yelled out car windows by ADULTS!! While it does not bother him, the fact that he has to endure that makes me sick. You have no idea how freely that word is also thrown around by kids his age. Who teaches their children to be so vial? Don't tell me my kid just needs to throw punches because that's how things were handled back in the day. You see he's far from a "sissy" and has no problem defending himself but the local police consider that assault. I hear so much talk about how awful kids are these days.....with what I see from adults lately, it's no wonder. And don't tell me it's just words and he should deal with it because let me tell you something if I ever am with him when something like that gets said...God have mercy on that person's soul cause I will gladly take an assault charge to knock such vial and disgusting words back into someone's mouth. 

As a mother I'm sure you would like to do terrible things to these people but you have raised a wise and strong son. Of course he should not have to endure this kind of treatment but it says more about those who are behaving in such an abominable manner than it says about anything else. Your son shines! Be proud that he has the strength and confidence to handle himself.

PS Get the license number of the car. This is ethnic intimidation and against the law. 

1 hour ago, LFG said:

I

I think everyone north of VA should be banned from having any input into discussions about race. Y'all like to tell us what we should say, or tell non-white people how they should feel about what we said, but you know what? The majority of "em live down here. Why? Because we're friendly. And it's effing cold up there in February 

New York state has the most citizens who say they are black. 3 million in NYS 1.2 in Pa.

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/releases/archives/census_2000/cb01cn176.html

34 minutes ago, lavender said:

You are making the assumption that I at least was raised in a small northern town. That isn't true. I went to both grade school and high school with kids of all colors. I'd say that at least 30-50% of the classes were black. Ditto most of the places I worked. (College was another matter. I think they were mostly Jewish.) I am willing to concede that blacks in the north may have a different take on things than blacks in the south. That however is not the point. If you want to be treated as an equal then it requires that you take the same abuse that anyone else might have to take on occasion. You should not have special laws to protect your sensibilities. If you are willing to reply "Dayum right you effig Yankee" to someone calling you a redneck in a derogatory manner and I'm will to come up with a similar (but more erudite) reply to being called a "b****" then why shouldn't the same thing be expected of anyone else who wants equality? I truly believe in equality for all but special privileges for none. This may make me less sensitive than I should be but I still think that being an adult requires learning to walk away from an insult no matter what it is and realizing that it says more about the one who utters it than it says about the recipient. 

I am just proud to have outgrown my surroundings to the point that I can draw such a lengthy reply from someone who uses words like eritude :D

55 minutes ago, LFG said:

What is the percentage? 

• The region with the highest proportion of people reporting Black as a percentage of its total population was the South (20 percent), followed by the Northeast (12 percent), the Midwest (11 percent), and the West (6 percent).

2 hours ago, LFG said:

I am just proud to have outgrown my surroundings to the point that I can draw such a lengthy reply from someone who uses words like eritude :D

Don't feel too proud I am currently having a lengthy conversation with the cat who is sitting on the arm of the chair next to the computer. I am trying to work erudite into the conversation. 

19 minutes ago, lavender said:

Don't feel too proud I am currently having a lengthy conversation with the cat who is sitting on the arm of the chair next to the computer. I am trying to work erudite into the conversation. 

Well hopefully your cat didn't just get out of the spin cycle!

"Any man who can safely drive a car while kissing a pretty girl, simply isn't giving the kiss the attention it deserves"... Albert Einstein

"And how can we win, when fools be king?"

23 hours ago, jt85 said:

And what do white people call colored anything without it being racist???? And why do they get to call us crap without it being racist???? I can go all day long done it with a lot of my black family and they agree.

You totally missed the point.  If you can't see why thinking that 'people of color dont belong in punxy' then you have major issues.

4 hours ago, lavender said:

the history of racism in America requires special protections...……….end of story.

13 minutes ago, conservativeman633 said:

the history of racism in America requires special protections...……….end of story.

Maybe time to get over it? No one who thinks of himself as a perpetual victim is going to have much success.  Should we be like the Middle East and carry grudges for hundreds of years? 

2 hours ago, brandn18 said:

You totally missed the point.  If you can't see why thinking that 'people of color dont belong in punxy' then you have major issues.

Clearly ur missing the point and don’t know punxy very well. Give u one hint kkk. If I were a different color I wouldn’t live there knowing they’re there. So u might want to watch ur mouth about people having issues!!!! U don’t know me and I could careless who u are so let’s keep it that way... 

8 hours ago, LFG said:

I started not to comment on this thread, because as a southerner a lot of us feel that everyone else in the country already assumes we are racist because we sound like we do. No joke, as much as I run my mouth I'm hesitant to comment when the discussion turns to race, but reading some of these replies I really feel I need to clear the air on some things...

First, and don't take this the wrong way, but a lot of y'all are just ignorant. And yes, Lavender, that includes you. That's not an insult, it's just the truth. How many shades of brown people do y'all have up there? You probably see about as many blacks as I see Amish. You never, EVER, make any remark regarding a black person that could be in any way construed as to be referencing a primate. EVER. End of story.

I'm sure being compared to a female dog in heat offends you, and being a man I cannot relate to how that word brings up the years of persecution and degradation of your people, but have you ever seen a black person be called a monkey? In person? I have. Someone with your vocabulary is not capable of that kind of violence.

Believe me, I'm as politically incorrect as anyone, but even I will admit some cases are worse than others. Redneck? Seriously? Even if you called me a redneck with the most evil of intent, my response would be "Dayum right you effing Yankee".

Racist much to northern people? And what gives u special rights because ur from the south that’s bs. I’ve lived in the south and any race is respectful and there are ignorant people just as up here. And a lot of the African American Americans move up here to get away from the crap down there. My sister-in-law is a black woman very respectful and works hard and is a great mother but she can be a b*tch at times just like many people I know. I don’t care where ur from or what race u are. No matter where u go there is b.s and either u face it or u walk a walk from it. I’ve been called a redneck multiple times and I’ve been called many worse names. I don’t beat these people as much as I would like to but I don’t. I’ve wanted to punch more kids then adults but either way it’s illegal. And why can a black American say n this and n that and it’s ok? They are teaching others it’s ok but when a white person says it oh no call the police or let’s beat them up and start riots. I think it’s all a bunch of crap that we all will have to deal with for the rest of time. If I don’t like someone I stay away from them not because they have blonde hair or a big nose or because they’re skinny or overweight it’s because I don’t like them. 

17 hours ago, conservativeman633 said:

Sorry----the 1st amendments has limits.     History tip of the day !!

Capt. Conman, if you really believe that, you don't know what you're talking about.  I suspect you don't believe that any more than I do and you're just trolling as is your custom, and apparently it has worked.  However, speech that causes no immediate physical danger (yelling "movie" in a crowded firehouse, for example) is protected.  You don't have to like it.  You might be insulted or feel degraded.  But that speech is protected.

As always, I have a reference; read it and weep.  https://www.britannica.com/topic/First-Amendment/Permissible-restrictions-on-expression

I'm not clear on if this is a local, county or state law here, but keeping it a misdemeanor does make a challenge unlikely.  On the other hand, if the fine is over $20, the 7th amendment provides the person being fined is entitled to a jury trial: “In all suits at common law, where the value in controversy shall exceed twenty dollars, the right of trial by jury shall be preserved and no fact tried by a jury shall be otherwise reexamined by an court of the United States.”  Clearly the courts could be tied up and made ineffective by everyone being fined by this law demanding a jury trial...

Because, Gentlemen, I don't trust you...  Gunning Bedford, U.S. Constitutional Convention
First God created idiots.  That was for practice. Then He created school boards. Mark Twain

15 hours ago, LFG said:

<much cut>

OK, LFG...  Bearing in mind the Civil War was fought over the issue of human slavery, and that issue alone, someone who actually has a sense of history also knows that in the Union the feelings towards blacks were not ever that strong.  Alternatively, I live north of VA and in an area where 24.6% of the population is black.  Good enough for you?

You're absolutely correct in your comments about what was said.  However the real  issue is, and the discussion ought to be over the fact saying it can get you fined for violating some sort of control over speech.   Then again, I'm a civil rights absolutist...