GoDuBois.com
Sign in to follow this  
Petee

Little Valley near DuBois?

Has anyone ever heard of a place called Little Valley near DuBois?  It would have been from 75-100 years ago.

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who watch them without doing anything"

Albert Einstein

20 hours ago, Petee said:

Has anyone ever heard of a place called Little Valley near DuBois?  It would have been from 75-100 years ago.

The closest thing I know of is "Sandy Valley", which was considered as being the name of the town----that or 'Rumbarger'.     The little valleys of the area along sandy Creek were a common topic before 1900, etc

I'm guessing that the correct one is near Salamanca, NY.  A family member has been searching for a gentleman who apparently has family photos of her Mother.  Thank you!

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who watch them without doing anything"

Albert Einstein

If I were doing it, I'd consider going to the county seat of Cattaraugus County (which happens to be Little Valley) and inquire at the tax assessor's office regarding the Irvin Lamberson farm OR  go to the Recorder of Deeds and look in their index for Irvin Lamberson, then (assuming you find an entry for him) copy the parcel identification data and go to the tax assessor. Note that even if Irvin is deceased and the farm is now in other hands or has been sub-divided into building lots, the Recorder's records should have an entry for Irvin as of the time he bought the land.

I say tax assessor because here in PA, the Recorder of Deeds usually doesn't know where a property is, the tax assessor does. Unfortunately, I don't know a good way to run down that information without going to Little Valley or paying someone to go there and report back..

"Apparently there was also a Lamberson Farm right near DuBois somewhere.  Any ideas? "

The program I suggested regarding Cattaraugus Countyand Little Valley could be applied to Clearfield County and /or Jefferson County. That is, visit the Clearfield County courthouse, look into the deed books for Lamberson. If found, go to the tax office to find out where the parcel is located. No luck in Clearfield? Try Brookvile and Jefferson County. If you come up dry in both, maybe Ridgway and Elk County.

"Nice idea, but I don't know how to do that" you say? I've found the folks working in the recorder's offices to be friendly and helpful. Tell the clerk what you're trying to find, ask how to do that and in my experience, they'll be glad to get you started.