GoDuBois.com
Mack613

"Monarch"palooza

Know that there is interest locally about the state of affairs concerning Monarch butterflies and came across this article. The event is about 100 miles from the DuBois area and might be of interest. Immediately thought of Petee when I read the article as she has brought the plight of the Monarch to our attention in the past.

https://www.post-journal.com/news/local-news/2019/07/monarchpalooza/

Junior member of the Senior crowd

11 hours ago, Mack613 said:

Know that there is interest locally about the state of affairs concerning Monarch butterflies and came across this article. The event is about 100 miles from the DuBois area and might be of interest. Immediately thought of Petee when I read the article as she has brought the plight of the Monarch to our attention in the past.

https://www.post-journal.com/news/local-news/2019/07/monarchpalooza/

The first Monarchs we saw going through DuBois was at the very end of May and they were headed North.  Now whether they were from a release somewhere south of us or whether they are from Mexico is another question.  Generally we figure that the major migration gets here about July 15, so keep watch, and if you want to raise Monarchs to release this fall for migration, then collect them sometime in August.  I did find a super tiny cat a week or so ago, but it didn't survive.  

The Amish Greenhouse off of the Oklahoma-Salem Road has them circling in their driveway many times.

If you would like to learn how to raise them, then just let us know at cshenkle@verizon.net or call 371-3322 or 590-9010.

I haven't checked to see how the numbers are this year in comparison to other years, but I do know that some of our Monarchs have successfully made it to overwinter in Mexico.

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who watch them without doing anything"

Albert Einstein

If you want to e-mail me your name then you will get credit when we use the picture.  Otherwise I can use Dobby!

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who watch them without doing anything"

Albert Einstein