GoDuBois.com

Seed pods

justjoe

It's too much of a crap shoot, Joe. First of all iris seeds are not necessarily that easy to germinate. They need to be stratified and even then some will germinate in the spring and some will not. I read that it can take years to germinate some seeds. Then it is a couple or 3 years until they bloom under good conditions.  They probably aren't going to be the same as the original flower as cross pollination will probably have occurred. This can be lots of fun because you may get a new beautiful hybril but you are just as likely to get something that you hate. Better to raid your neighbor's garden for a fan or two and you know what you are getting. You should remove the seed pods before the form so the plant concentrates its energy on growth and rhizome production rather than setting seed. You are lucky that you can grow them they are my favorite flower.  Unfortunately, most of my irises die. They don't like my soil. 

8 hours ago, justjoe said:

Thank you for your response, I knew they had to be striated, but didn't know about the possible mutations. I have loads of irises in three colors . I separated and thinned them last year, gave lots away.

If you do cross pollinate Iris, you may have a gorgeous outcome or some real muddy duds.  

8 hours ago, justjoe said:

Thank you for your response, I knew they had to be striated, but didn't know about the possible mutations. I have loads of irises in three colors . I separated and thinned them last year, gave lots away.

I had an iris with a border for awhile.  Don't know where it went but irises didn't do well this year. Most of them disappeared completely.  I'm assuming it came from seed unless it was a mutation of some sort. I don't practice what I preach and sometimes let plants that shouldn't go to seed. I have a daylily this year that has variegated foliage. It is a mutation. I Replanted it and am interested in seeing if the flower is the same as the parent plant.