GoDuBois.com
spaghettiwasted

DuBois City Plans Repairs to Railroad Crossings

DuBois City Plans Repairs to Railroad Crossings

DUBOIS – Two railroad crossings will undergo repair work, DuBois City Council announced Monday night.

From Sept. 10-12, short-term repairs will occur to the railroad crossing across state Route 219, near East DuBois Avenue.

More extensive repairs for this railroad crossing and another located on Division Street will occur in 2021.

Council also passed the Sandy/DuBois Sewer Service agreement. The city will mail out informational brochures to the public.

According to City Engineer Chris Nasuti, brochures will detail what can be flushed, which he said was essentially limited to toilet paper.

For example, he said floss has gotten tangled up in filters at the treatment plant. And he said even sanitizing wipes, which were supposedly flushable, were causing clogs in the sewage system.

In other business, council approved selling the following property on Municibid, including its:

• Miller Syncrowave TIG welder;
  • Salt Dogg 10’ V-box salt spreader;
  • Sel Air 185 compressor;
  • 4 x 8 special construction utility trailer; and
  • Target Econoline Walk-Behind concrete saw.

Council also reported complaints have been received concerning drones in DuBois City. Individuals can contact the city with future complaints until council finds possible remedies.

I am glad they are finally fixing the railroad crossing...AGAIN. Hopefully this time it will be better! A lot more of them need fixed though. They are all horribly rough in my opinion

1 hour ago, disgruntled said:

Who in the world flushes floss?  That's just stupid.

At my old apartment, the residents prior to us did. Our toilet wasn't flushing right so we called in the plumber.  They pulled out a ton of floss and match sticks. 

25 minutes ago, YourBoy said:

At my old apartment, the residents prior to us did. Our toilet wasn't flushing right so we called in the plumber.  They pulled out a ton of floss and match sticks. 

That is so bizarre.  Clearly those people never had a septic system. 

"A Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse." - Thomas Jefferson

6 hours ago, spaghettiwasted said:

<stuff cut>

According to City Engineer Chris Nasuti, brochures will detail what can be flushed, which he said was essentially limited to toilet paper.

<more stuff cut>

Oh my goodness...  I can see the horrified faces on those who rush to the bathroom to flush (ahem) "other substances" when the cops are knocking at the door, only to remember that they aren't allowed to because they are "essentially limited to toilet paper".  I know that will stop them!

Because, Gentlemen, I don't trust you...  Gunning Bedford, U.S. Constitutional Convention
The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal. Aristotle
First God created idiots.  That was for practice. Then He created school boards. Mark Twain
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. George Santayana

Guest Earnest
1 hour ago, Sunshyn said:

I am glad they are finally fixing the railroad crossing...AGAIN. Hopefully this time it will be better! A lot more of them need fixed though. They are all horribly rough in my opinion

Wish Sandy Twp would do something about the RR crossing on Larkey Town Rd near the creosote plant.  That has to be the worst within 100 miles of DuBois.

11 minutes ago, Guest Earnest said:

Wish Sandy Twp would do something about the RR crossing on Larkey Town Rd near the creosote plant.  That has to be the worst within 100 miles of DuBois.

I agree  :gstar::gstar::gstar::gstar::gstar:

The crossing on Liberty Boulevard has a huge corner sticking up on the side of Rockwell or whatever it's called now.  I always dodge it because I'm afraid it would break a tire.  It's coming from Walmart.

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who watch them without doing anything"

Albert Einstein

Guest Guest

Speaking of breaking a tire, how many people have trouble with the storm drains in the road by The Medicine Shoppe on West Park Avenue, driving towards Sheetz. Years ago we did ruin a tire. Now I drive way out from them, but people that don't know can easily drop into them and break something under your car or a tire. Don't know if this is a City or State-owned road. 

And for nighttime, can the City replace some street lights? Especially on DuBois Avenue between CVS intersection and DuBois Diner or Fox's. It's pitch black and scary! Many other streets in DuBois are like this as the City removed the street lights over 10 years ago. Residents had to pay to keep the street lights in their neighborhood. Baseball fields are great for the kids, but can some money go into the storm drain part of roads and street lights where pitch black along with the railroad tracks??  

Take a picture and send it to whoever is in charge of maintenance for that area.

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who watch them without doing anything"

Albert Einstein

I wish they'd finally get on decommissioning the crossing at Lezzers and tear it out. There can't be more than 50 yards of track available, if that, on the city side of Shaffer Rd.

Unless Lezzers is having some midnight drops that no one seems to know about, the functionality of those tracks stops on the other side of the road and has for many years. Rip it out, already.

"Be still, my fingers, be still" - fedup

Makes not a lick of sense to me why the City would spend $553,000 on a stupid sidewalk on Beaver Drive and not fix ALL the ridiculous railroad crossings, Beaver Drive, Parkway Drive and Park Ave. amongst many others.

I'm curious why the city or township ought to fix it at all.  It strikes me the crossings are the railroad's right-of-way.  You have to through several levels of Hades to get permission to close one to fix it, that I know.  The railroads want the right of way, favorable tax treatment as interstate businesses and they are private companies.

Because, Gentlemen, I don't trust you...  Gunning Bedford, U.S. Constitutional Convention
The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal. Aristotle
First God created idiots.  That was for practice. Then He created school boards. Mark Twain
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. George Santayana

7 hours ago, Vader said:

I wish they'd finally get on decommissioning the crossing at Lezzers and tear it out. There can't be more than 50 yards of track available, if that, on the city side of Shaffer Rd.

Unless Lezzers is having some midnight drops that no one seems to know about, the functionality of those tracks stops on the other side of the road and has for many years. Rip it out, already.

I am with you on removing the Shaffer Road crossing.

The speed limit is 35 mph and people think they have to slow down to 15-20 mph to cross one of the better crossings in the area, 

Why?

3 hours ago, BigT said:

I am with you on removing the Shaffer Road crossing.

The speed limit is 35 mph and people think they have to slow down to 15-20 mph to cross one of the better crossings in the area, 

Why?

Don't forget the buses and other large vehicles that are actually obligated to stop at RR crossings. 

"Be still, my fingers, be still" - fedup