GoDuBois.com
Lizard

Litter, Road Hazard?

I do a lot of Bicycling around the area and have a question that maybe someone can answer. At every location that emergency services have to respond to I find the wires remaining from the Road Flares. So the question is why do they leave them along the road? I understand the purpose but not why they are left along the road.

road flare.jpg

The entire area should be cleaned after any kind of an emergency situation. They're probably exhausted afterwards and don't make the effort., but they should.  Maybe write a letter to the Editor and make a call to the Emergency Management Director in your area?

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who watch them without doing anything"

Albert Einstein

8 hours ago, Lizard said:

I do a lot of Bicycling around the area and have a question that maybe someone can answer. At every location that emergency services have to respond to I find the wires remaining from the Road Flares. So the question is why do they leave them along the road? I understand the purpose but not why they are left along the road.

road flare.jpg

They could be spread by someone none too fond of cyclists clever enough to cover their tracks.:) 

I'm often amazed at the car and truck parts I see scattered along the highway after a wrecker removes a wrecked vehicle.  I always thought they should be picking up that bumper or fender to send with the car instead of leaving it along the highway. 

"A Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse." - Thomas Jefferson

Platt road I swear people go down it just to pitch their empty drive through garbage! I've picked up easily 2 trash bags full & it never stops!! There is so much beautiful wildflowers & life near the water too! Frogs,turtles, birds, cranes, and more!! I was hoping to post a legit "give a hoot don't pollute with Woodsy Owl" but I'm still trying to get one from PA environmental / adopt the road, but no success yet.

Dobby

It's probably 1 or 2 daily habitual litterers.  Once they find it easy, they just continue.

To get the Adopt a Road, you have to contact Penn Dot to apply, then set up a schedule for them to pick up any litter collected.  If you do it for something like 2 years, they will put your name on the sign.  They can also put up a "Fine For Littering" sign.  If someone is stupid enough to toss out their garbage, then possibly they're stupid enough to believe that anyone is really watching.

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who watch them without doing anything"

Albert Einstein

6 hours ago, mr.d said:

When we have a call requiring flares. picked up wires after call.

Pass the word to any other Emergency Response persons too!  You don't want to have to back to pick up a Lizard from the ditch! :no:

Albert Einstein

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 10:17 AM, Dobby said:

Platt road I swear people go down it just to pitch their empty drive through garbage! I've picked up easily 2 trash bags full & it never stops!! There is so much beautiful wildflowers & life near the water too! Frogs,turtles, birds, cranes, and more!! I was hoping to post a legit "give a hoot don't pollute with Woodsy Owl" but I'm still trying to get one from PA environmental / adopt the road, but no success yet.

I came to learn the reason why it happened near me:  the litter bug didn't want their family members to know they had stopped for "treats" and didn't want to share. It's most likely someone that lives nearby.  Set up a trail cam to catch the offenders. 

I *may* have found out who the offenders were in my neighborhood and sent an anonymous package containing the evidence to their house, a trail cam photo, along with an anonymous letter asking them to please dispose of their trash properly.  :D

"A Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse." - Thomas Jefferson

1 hour ago, Dobby said:

Nice idea but I don't have a trail cam & I'd rather just pick it up & hope sometime I'm walking, they dive along and litter & then :Cool_049:they see me & I happen to have a small bag of lab poo to hurl at them.

Or Bon's laundry :arghh:

4 hours ago, disgruntled said:

I came to learn the reason why it happened near me:  the litter bug didn't want their family members to know they had stopped for "treats" and didn't want to share. It's most likely someone that lives nearby.  Set up a trail cam to catch the offenders. 

I *may* have found out who the offenders were in my neighborhood and sent an anonymous package containing the evidence to their house, a trail cam photo, along with an anonymous letter asking them to please dispose of their trash properly.  :D

Oh, I love it!

Albert Einstein

19 hours ago, mr.d said:

When we have a call requiring flares. picked up wires after call.

Glad to here it Mr. D. So your saying they can be picked up. What if they're still burning? 

8 minutes ago, Lizard said:

Glad to here it Mr. D. So your saying they can be picked up. What if they're still burning? 

What if the firemen carried some kind of tote with sand(?) in it to put out the flares once the scene was cleared. 

6 hours ago, Lizard said:

If have flare still burning I just rub it into the ground until it is completely out and put in my vehicle to dispose of.

4 hours ago, mr.d said:

If have flare still burning I just rub it into the ground until it is completely out and put in my vehicle to dispose of.

Thank you for your spirit of rescue!  You've always been a fixer, and it's appreciated.

Albert Einstein

Guest Fireman

Not all flares left along the roadway are left there from first responders. Does it happen by them sure, but being a first responder and knowing many of them the flares are usually picked up.  Penndot, your local sewage, water and road crews plus utility companies use them also. I feel the first responders are being unfairly blamed for the majority of them left along the roadway. 

42 minutes ago, Guest Fireman said:

Not all flares left along the roadway are left there from first responders. Does it happen by them sure, but being a first responder and knowing many of them the flares are usually picked up.  Penndot, your local sewage, water and road crews plus utility companies use them also. I feel the first responders are being unfairly blamed for the majority of them left along the roadway. 

But as a local fireman as well. We are probably 80% that uses flares.   Very very rarely do I see other agencies besides fire and fire police, state police use them.