GoDuBois.com
Sign in to follow this  
LFG

What kind of grill/grills do you use?

3 minutes ago, bob_rx2000 said:

Starting coals without fluid - Alton Brown recommended taking a sheet of paper towel and soaking it in vegetable oil.  Put this under the chimney and when you light it, the oil burns and starts the charcoal.  

I'm mad at myself for not thinking of that. I usually tear the bag as I go and use that to light the charcoal. Most often it takes lighting it twice.

Now, I will say I cheat on the Weber Performer. It has a gas assisted charcoal lighter. You screw a small bottle into the table, and there is a tube with an igniter under the coals. You can pile the coals, hit the igniter, and let the flame burn the charcoal for 2-3 minutes. I haven't noticed any gas flavor transferred to the charcoal through that process

23 minutes ago, LFG said:

I'm mad at myself for not thinking of that. I usually tear the bag as I go and use that to light the charcoal. Most often it takes lighting it twice.

Now, I will say I cheat on the Weber Performer. It has a gas assisted charcoal lighter. You screw a small bottle into the table, and there is a tube with an igniter under the coals. You can pile the coals, hit the igniter, and let the flame burn the charcoal for 2-3 minutes. I haven't noticed any gas flavor transferred to the charcoal through that process

I really like the ceramic kamado.  The temp range is great, 220 to up to 6-700 degrees. I have smoked brisket for hours to grilling a  pizza for 5 minutes. It is airtight and temp controlled by allowing certain amount of air to the flame.  Takes around an hour to heat up the ceramic is one downfall.  Time gives an estimate but I only grill by internal temperature using digital thermometer.  I have two probes.  One grill temp and one meat temp.  I leave the probes in and rarely open the lid.

2 minutes ago, buschpounder said:

I really like the ceramic kamado.  The temp range is great, 220 to up to 6-700 degrees. I have smoked brisket for hours to grilling a  pizza for 5 minutes. It is airtight and temp controlled by allowing certain amount of air to the flame.  Takes around an hour to heat up the ceramic is one downfall.  Time gives an estimate but I only grill by internal temperature using digital thermometer.  I have two probes.  One grill temp and one meat temp.  I leave the probes in and rarely open the lid.

The heat up and cool down is what kept me from buying one as my primary, but now I'm ready for a dedicated smoker. My guess is the traditional smoke over coal and wood is going to be hard to beat, but I've read some great reviews on the Traeger. The problem with reviews is you never know how much experience someone has. If a Traeger is the first smoker they have ever owned, of course they will love it. I've read reviews on a $190  pizza add on kit to fit the Weber, and people love it, but they never tried grilling a pizza before they got it. It's unnecessary

1 hour ago, LFG said:

That's me, Kingsford charcoal only, no lighter fluid. I always start the coals in a chimney then transfer to the grill. I'll use lump charcoal from time to time if I want really high temps for searing steak, but I still get better flavor from Kingsford and hickory

I need to get one of those chimneys.

7 minutes ago, jaman said:

When grilling pizza do you just use the grate, cookie sheet , or get a brick? Open to all ideas.

I agree with bp, pizza stone with corn meal. I sprinkle corn meal directly on the stone right before laying the dough down. That's one thing I love about my Weber, the cooking grate has a circle cut out in the middle where you can swap cooking surfaces. Pizza stone, searing grate for steaks, regular grate for burgers, etc...

12 minutes ago, Lupara said:

We have an old electric pizza baker in storage at the camp. The son is going out tonight and said he'd bring home the stone inside the unit. Thanks.

Get the stone good and hot before you put the dough on. I'm not sure how others do it, but I cook the dough for 2 minutes on one side, then take it and flip it over on the peel, toasted side facing up. Make the pizza how you like it, then put it back on the grill for 5-8 minutes depending on heat, toppings, etc...

I never tried cooking the dough for a couple minutes then flipping.. I will try that sometime.  I heat the kamado grill to around 700 deg with the stone.  Make a pizza on a pizza paddle using corn meal.  Slide the pizza from the paddle into the stone and about 8-9 minutes later it's done.  I also have heard you can use a big cast iron pan to put the pizza in but never tried that either.

7 hours ago, LFG said:

That's me, Kingsford charcoal only, no lighter fluid. I always start the coals in a chimney then transfer to the grill. I'll use lump charcoal from time to time if I want really high temps for searing steak, but I still get better flavor from Kingsford and hickory

Agree 100% that’s my method.. can’t mess with what works. And I can cook anything on my kettle as good as any other smoker 

26 minutes ago, etink3908 said:

Agree 100% that’s my method.. can’t mess with what works. And I can cook anything on my kettle as good as any other smoker 

I've got to start trying slow smokes on my kettle, I read about a lot of people doing it

We use a charcoal grill and a metal fire pit thingy that has a screen over it.

With the fire pit, while the screen was only intended to keep hot coals from jumping out after a "pop", we lay stakes on it over the wood and coals.

We leave the cooking with dinosaur farts to kitchen range.

On 8/22/2019 at 10:44 AM, bob_rx2000 said:

Starting coals without fluid - Alton Brown recommended taking a sheet of paper towel and soaking it in vegetable oil.  Put this under the chimney and when you light it, the oil burns and starts the charcoal.  

A few balled up pieces of paper under the chimney work just as well

51 minutes ago, etink3908 said:

A few balled up pieces of paper under the chimney work just as well

AB was advocating the use of oil soaked paper towels because the oil burns off first, before the paper.  That way you have a longer lighting period.  This would be important if you use charcoal that has no starter infused, for example.

Because, Gentlemen, I don't trust you...  Gunning Bedford, U.S. Constitutional Convention
The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal. Aristotle
First God created idiots.  That was for practice. Then He created school boards. Mark Twain
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. George Santayana

4 hours ago, bob_rx2000 said:

AB was advocating the use of oil soaked paper towels because the oil burns off first, before the paper.  That way you have a longer lighting period.  This would be important if you use charcoal that has no starter infused, for example.

I can understand and appreciate the technique. I just don’t see the need for it. I use a few pieces of news paper and never have any problems getting it started. 🤷‍♂️ 

On 9/3/2019 at 11:13 PM, etink3908 said:

I can understand and appreciate the technique. I just don’t see the need for it. I use a few pieces of news paper and never have any problems getting it started. 🤷‍♂️ 

I could see the paper towel in oil method if a thicker paper wasn't available. I use the charcoal bag as I go, and even then I sometimes have to do it twice. I might try the paper towels in oil

Sign in to follow this