GoDuBois.com
Sign in to follow this  
Pompeii

Where were you 18 years ago .... Sept 11, 2001

I was working for a company in Reynoldsville.  9:00 break I went through the office area and the outside salesman who just arrived said he heard on his car radio a plane had just hit the WTC. By the time break was over (9:10) the radio in our shop was reporting the second plane had hit. 

We lived in New Jersey at the time. there was total chaos at our children's school with parents rushing in to get their children. We could see them burn from our house. The smell lasted forever.We had no idea where the plane hit in PA and the phone lines were jammed so it was hard waiting to be able to talk with family that lived in western PA.

Was in my kitchen watching all day in Houston, Texas.

My next door neighbors Father was on first plane to hit a tower from Boston. Went outside around 11 am central and Al my neighbor was devastated. I didnt know what to do except give him a hug. 

They say never forget and I wont. What upset me most was a New Yorker being interviewed bragging about having tallest building in the city after the towers fell. I had heard enough. Guy has never had any couth!

I forget a lot of things these days. Most days I can't remember what I did last week let alone 18 years ago.......But this day I will never forget. I remember every single event and emotion of that morning, including what my kids wore to school. :(

I was at work and my sister called me.  I remember that day like it was yesterday.  The one thing that really sticks in my mind is how eery the sky was.  It was so clear and no planes or trails from planes in the sky. I never realized how many times i would see planes fly over until there wasn't any.  We talk about how our 10 year old is learning about the attack like we learned about Pearl Harbor.  He has been to the flight 93 Memorial and also to the site in New York City.  He had lots of questions that we as a family tried to answer. The whole thing is still so fresh in my mind.:(

I was sitting at the computer desk doing something on the computer, when the DJ from WOWQ 102 said a plane hit the one building. A few moments later he said OMG a plane hit the 2nd tower.

I turned the tv on and watched the rest of the day. I didn’t know whether to go & pull Joe out of elementary school or leave him there. The high school said to leave students there. I called my hubby & he said to leave them in school, stay off the roads!

I was still dealing with my brother Ernie’s death by suicide in January. It was the 10th anniversary of the Persian Gulf War, he was a Staff Sgt. He was in charge of the Bradley Tanks. He knew them inside out!

I have been to Shanksville 4 times. The most memorable was when we rode down with a bunch of guys from Michigan. We didn’t know till we got there & I sat on a bench with an older gentleman crying. I asked if he knew the lady that the bench had been dedicated to. He said yes, she was my wife. 😢❤️ We were shocked!!

I was working in the kitchen with the TV on when they announced the first plane.  A smaller plane had hit the building a few months before that, so I expected a replay of that type situation.  Then while the announcer was showing the first damaged area, a second plane hit the building.  Obviously that wasn't a accident.  Shortly they cut to another newscaster who said the Pentagon had been hit.  I ran back to the bedroom to get my husband up who had just come home from work a few hours before this happened. He got up, grabbed his "Military GO" bag from under the bed and took off for the Reserve Center to see what was going to happen in case it got a lot worse.  

I did bring my granddaughter home from school because I wanted her with the family if things got a lot worse.  Schools don't realize that in a really severe situation, the fewer kids they have to provide food and shelter for, the better.  Our family is prepared for a crisis, the school isn't.

Had there been more planes, aimed a little more accurately, the entire country could have been shut down for weeks or months.  Who knew if these 4 were all they had?

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who watch them without doing anything"

Albert Einstein

I remember arriving at the office, and my dad called me and said to turn on the TV.  Shortly after I turned it on, I saw the second plane hit the second tower.  I remember calling the babysitter where my son was, and telling the sitter to turn on her TV.  My daughter was in school.  I just remember feeling strange for the longest time.  Months after.  Not knowing what was going to happen here.  It was kind of scary.

Every day is a gift from God; that's why we call it the "present!"

I was laying pipeline at a nuclear power plant in upstate SC. Interesting place to be on 9-11 and in the following days and weeks. By that afternoon we had F-16s flying over us. On Sept. 11 you could hold up your badge and wave at the guard as you drove in, on Sept. 12 there was an hour wait to get in as the National Guard searched every vehicle entering the site. One of the most eerie feelings the next day was no planes in the sky. We were near an airport, there were always planes overhead, but it was so eerily quiet when the planes were grounded. No smart phones then, so I never saw video until I got home from work that night, it was just shocking. I will watch them all again tonight on Discovery or History. I have every year since

I was in college.  Just walked into my 9am class and the prof came flying down the hall saying turn the TV on. We all sat in silence and watched as the second plane hit. I remember walking back to my apartment afterwards and noticing how silent the campus was.  I think everyone was in shock.