GoDuBois.com
Sign in to follow this  
mollycan

Could you??

SPONSOR:  

Lawn Care is bad, what about junk inside furniture setting on porches for months, garbage piled around houses, houses unfit to rent being rented. There is so much being let go around town. Call and complain, the squeeky wheel gets the greese! They just did the fall big item clean up, free pick up and the junk is still there. Makes the rest of the neighbors not want to waste time keeping their property up either. Too much time and money for nothing!

Isn't it weird that in America our flag and our culture offend so many people, but our benefits don't?

I coul

1 minute ago, Gold Brick said:

Lawn Care is bad, what about junk inside furniture setting on porches for months, garbage piled around houses, houses unfit to rent being rented. There is so much being let go around town. Call and complain, the squeeky wheel gets the greese! They just did the fall big item clean up, free pick up and the junk is still there. Makes the rest of the neighbors not want to waste time keeping their property up either. Too much time and money for nothing!

I couldn't agree with you more (they said as they looked out their window)!!!

When was the clean up? I don't get a paper and I never heard anything about it online. I have a bunch of stuff to get rid of  (inside my house,  tyvm) and putting a little bit out at a time for the garbage people takes forever.

:dancer: You must be the change you wish to see in the world- Ghandi :dancer:

Most of the homes around us are rentals, ( now, they weren't when we bought almost 30 years ago) there is very little concern for grooming since this has happened, most are just in it for the money. It shows!

Isn't it weird that in America our flag and our culture offend so many people, but our benefits don't?

Some people may not be able to mow their yard and other outside work because of Health Issues and on Low Income and can not afford to pay someone $30 - $50 each time to have someone cut it for them. What ever happened to "Help Thy Neighbor", we heard that a lot growing up. The day may come when hour health keeps you from mowing your own yard and doing other outside chores, and your income does not allow you to pay someone else a lot to cut it for you!  

Here's a thought....many on here claim to be Christian, why not do the christian thing and see if you can help them out in any way? Rather than pissing and moaning on a community message board.

"Any man who can safely drive a car while kissing a pretty girl, simply isn't giving the kiss the attention it deserves"... Albert Einstein

"And how can we win, when fools be king?"

On 9/28/2019 at 9:49 PM, BART said:

We have noticed that manicuring ones property has become a lost desire. I wonder if personal pride and grooming of private property just doesn't exist with some property owners(land lords included}!:):rolleyes:

I agree. I furnished my tenants with a riding mower and a few other items. Although I saw the other day the grass was high and the weeds out front were about 5 foot.  No they are not flowers. I plan on going over there next Monday to see if the mower is broke and taking my weed eater. 

Every time the Government IMPOSES new Regulations to Protect Us, we LOSE a Little MORE of our FREEDOMS....

MORE Government = LESS Freedom

22 hours ago, BigT said:

May I suggest going to a Zac Lawhead at the City Building. He is the code enforcement officer. Express your concerns and see what happens for starters.

He's worthless.  Called many times.  Never shows up and just passes the buck on to someone else.  Always blames someone else at the city building.

11 hours ago, Trillyn said:

Maybe people have bigger priorities than lawn care? Family, work, health. 

Don't live where you have too much lawn.  If you are that lazy and can't enjoy working, then choose a condo, slum or just move into the squirrel cage you will eventually be placed in anyway.

Sometimes it simply gets to be a bigger job than expected or the eventual enjoyment of a freshly cut lawn is gone because the lawn has been too damaged.  Make lawn care a fun goal, not just staying ahead of the law and neighbors.  Get a headset and music you like.  Set out some really cold drinks to stop and enjoy in a lawn chair in the shade till your wife catches you. (Hint, leave the mower running so she doesn't know you stopped). Put an umbrella on the mower handle.

Do the lawn more frequently before it gets tall.  Don't mow grass into corners or into the bottom of obstacles like shrubs, trees, walls, etc.  Mow before it rains. Use a mulching mower if you have it.  Reseed bare or thin spots on a regular basis to keep out weeds.  Don't water it unless it is a brand new lawn!  Create a lawn care "center" so everything you need is at hand.  Have another person weed whack while you mow in another corner of the yard. They can also hand you a fresh drink as needed.

Keep the blades sharpened and clean out under the deck when you're done for the day.  You can even give it a spray of cooking oil to help keep grass from sticking.  Have ramps ready and keep the mower there when not in use.  Cover it with a tarp between uses. Check oil and gas before starting it. 

Run the mower completely out of fuel in the fall and put it in a dry area. Clean it well first.

Most importantly, hire a neighbor hood kid to mow when the wife is away, or vice versa. Someone has to empty the drinks and put the chair away before he/she gets home!

Landlords, offer your renter a deal, rent+mowing service (make a schedule and hefty fee) or just rent if they do a GOOD job mowing.  Great idea leaving them a weed whacker and a mower.  Suggest the chair in the shade and the cold drinks.

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who watch them without doing anything"

Albert Einstein

7 hours ago, katman said:

Some people may not be able to mow their yard and other outside work because of Health Issues and on Low Income and can not afford to pay someone $30 - $50 each time to have someone cut it for them. What ever happened to "Help Thy Neighbor", we heard that a lot growing up. The day may come when hour health keeps you from mowing your own yard and doing other outside chores, and your income does not allow you to pay someone else a lot to cut it for you!  

:goodpost: You are so right. In my seasonal job I do cut a small yard or two for some elderly at   mostly my expense. Once in a while they offer and say to buy lunch.  One of my personal contributions to society. You can replace or re earn the money. You cant replace a  friendly life.

2 hours ago, Petee said:

Don't live where you have too much lawn.  If you are that lazy and can't enjoy working, then choose a condo, slum or just move into the squirrel cage you will eventually be placed in anyway.

I think this is one of the most ignorant posts you've written. 

When my Father was having health issues stuck in different hospitals in Pittsburgh unable to speak for himself the most important thing to me was trying to help him and Make sure my Mom was able to be there with him too. My lawn was the last thing on my mind. 

As my post stated, rentals, multi tennant rentals! If you are renting to multiple tennants, then unless you make arrangements with one of them upfront, you should be responsible for the property upkeep.

2 hours ago, Lyndsey33 said:

My son mows for the neighbor a few houses down because he is older and his mower broke and he cant afford a new one. My son just went over and mowed one day and he came out and tried to pay him which my good boy refused and he said he just did not have the money for a new mower so my son has been doing it every week for a mountain dew 😁

Im Coke Classic. they find that out because they always say do you need a drink? and  they give me a can.:lol:

6 hours ago, pwacm said:

I think this is one of the most ignorant posts you've written. 

When my Father was having health issues stuck in different hospitals in Pittsburgh unable to speak for himself the most important thing to me was trying to help him and Make sure my Mom was able to be there with him too. My lawn was the last thing on my mind. 

Good grief, have you seen my own lawn at times this past summer?  I'm not throwing sticks because I'd just have to go pick them up again. I thought I was writing some humor included with some helpful hints to make mowing an easier job. Of course the sick, old (and almost everything including a terrible back could include me) who can't do a bang up job on their lawn all the time.  However, when it gets to the point that it isn't possible to ever care for a huge lawn (we have two acres of obstacle strewn lawn) you need to consider that changes need to be made before someone else makes the changes for you. In the case of people who are perfectly capable of mowing but are too darned lazy, then it's off to the squirrel cage for them.

Some of you I would absolutely expect such nastiness from, but not everyone!

I know I don't tell jokes well, but never, in anyplace is this post, did I slam someone who wants to mow their yard and simply can't because that would be me!

By the way, my son now mows our lawn and maintains the equipment, hubby and I are engaged in chopping down a quarter of an acre, all tolled, of head high weeds and brush, some of which hasn't been touched for several years.  Now, bring me an apology and a herd of goats unless you're all still too cranky to be out in public..

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who watch them without doing anything"

Albert Einstein

A word of advice to anyone who provides mowing equipment to renters of a property.  DON'T DO IT.

I say that based on several personal experiences that didn't turn out well.

I previously owned a rental property that had about a one acre yard and provided a riding mower for the tenants.  In a five year time frame they absolutely destroyed two perfectly good (not brand new) tractors.  Both due to their not checking the oil.

Beyond the financial loss involved my insurance carrier advised against it vigorously.  Stating the obvious liability involved as the owner of the equipment and property as being unreasonable risks.

These tenants would be considered excellent under any other circumstances, yet the good will gesture was costly with poor results for me.