GoDuBois.com

Guest Researcher
18 hours ago, conservativeman633 said:

THERE IS NO CONTEST...……………………...FIRE (the ability to create it)…...ONLY FARMING COMES SECOND...…..

The first one allowed for our species survival, the second was the mother of Civilization...…..

That's a discovery, not an invention.

Pizza in the food category

Harnessing Electricity for most used invention

Football for sports fans

Beer once again for the sports fan

Hot Wings once again see above

:rofl:

Every time the Government IMPOSES new Regulations to Protect Us, we LOSE a Little MORE of our FREEDOMS....

MORE Government = LESS Freedom

Guest Researcher
2 hours ago, conservativeman633 said:

no-----many inventions are "discoveries", if not all of them.....

I mean, Edison discovered 5000 materials that didn't work that eventually led to the light bulb...……..it ALL discovery......

No.  One discovers oil, but does not invent it.  One invents plastic, using oil.

Fire existed and was discovered, it was not invented.

Edison put things together to "invent" the light bulb after having "discovered" many things that, when put together, did not create light.

Guest Origin
9 hours ago, conservativeman633 said:

I mean, Edison discovered 5000 materials that didn't work that eventually led to the light bulb...……..it ALL discovery......

The light bulb didn't exist before Edison invented it.  The materials did.  Same with fire:  it existed, so it only had to be discovered.  The people who "discovered" DNA didn't invent it, but the people who first did gene splicing "invented" the process.  The operative word is exist.  If something exists it can only be discovered, it doesn't have to be invented.

10 hours ago, conservativeman633 said:

At some point someone invented complete sentences, and you haven't discovered those yet :D

I've pondered this question for several days with no conclusions about a single invention that is the greatest.  There are many that have changed the world, seemingly for the better.

Electricity, the automobile, the airplane, the telephone, space exploration and the spin offs from that effort, computers. GPS, many medical advancements, and numerous others could be suggested as the greatest.  But many of those things rely on some of the others to lead the way for their creation.

As an extension of the original question, what would you like to see invented or created in the future?

I would like to see a cure for cancer, in all of it's forms.  I would like to see a way to desalinate sea water cost effectively on a large scale.  On the really far out there wish list I would like to see a way to transmit electricity without wires, thereby eliminating transmission lines across the country and all wires within our homes.

1 minute ago, hipower said:

I've pondered this question for several days with no conclusions about a single invention that is the greatest.  There are many that have changed the world, seemingly for the better.

Electricity, the automobile, the airplane, the telephone, space exploration and the spin offs from that effort, computers. GPS, many medical advancements, and numerous others could be suggested as the greatest.  But many of those things rely on some of the others to lead the way for their creation.

As an extension of the original question, what would you like to see invented or created in the future?

I would like to see a cure for cancer, in all of it's forms.  I would like to see a way to desalinate sea water cost effectively on a large scale.  On the really far out there wish list I would like to see a way to transmit electricity without wires, thereby eliminating transmission lines across the country and all wires within our homes.

Electricity can be transmitted already without wires through electromagnetic induction.  Distances are short and currently are highly unlikely to power your whole house let alone a city.  It can, however, (slowly) recharge a cell phone.  But, it is a start.  By comparison, who thought 50 years ago you could send voice, pictures, and documents through the air using a device about the size of a deck of cards?

10 hours ago, Guest Researcher said:

No.  One discovers oil, but does not invent it.  One invents plastic, using oil.

Fire existed and was discovered, it was not invented.

Edison put things together to "invent" the light bulb after having "discovered" many things that, when put together, did not create light.

The ability to make fire took, little doubt, many trials and error, like any invention

3 hours ago, Guest Origin said:

The light bulb didn't exist before Edison invented it.  The materials did.  Same with fire:  it existed, so it only had to be discovered.  The people who "discovered" DNA didn't invent it, but the people who first did gene splicing "invented" the process.  The operative word is exist.  If something exists it can only be discovered, it doesn't have to be invented.

true----to clarify: the ability to make fire was an invention

Guest origin
38 minutes ago, conservativeman633 said:

true----to clarify: the ability to make fire was an invention

True.  But it doesn't qualify as a great invention.  Maybe as a convenience.  After all, it could be had from a forest fire caused by a lightening strike.  Then, all they had to do was harbor it and keep it fed.

1 hour ago, Guest origin said:

True.  But it doesn't qualify as a great invention.  Maybe as a convenience.  After all, it could be had from a forest fire caused by a lightening strike.  Then, all they had to do was harbor it and keep it fed.

?????????

It is the greatest of all time--------it allowed our species to survive

2 hours ago, hipower said:

I've often pondered this same question, and when I was younger I thought my grandparents had lived through the most drastic changes of inventions and progress there would ever be. I couldn't picture the world we live in now. It's hard to imagine that just 12 or so years ago there were no smart phones. Touch screens just appeared one day to minimal fanfare. Technology is advancing so rapidly that it's hard to say what I would like to see invented, because I might not even know I need it.

One thing I have always wanted, though, the one invention that would truly make my life complete is this: I want a device that can erase a person. Now hold on, wait a minute. I'm not talking about murder. I don't want them to suffer. I don't want any violence, no pain, no sense of loss for anyone that may for reasons unknown have liked said person, I simply want a device I can point and click and *poof*, they never were. 

Is that too much to ask? :arghh:

20 minutes ago, LFG said:

I've often pondered this same question, and when I was younger I thought my grandparents had lived through the most drastic changes of inventions and progress there would ever be. I couldn't picture the world we live in now. It's hard to imagine that just 12 or so years ago there were no smart phones. Touch screens just appeared one day to minimal fanfare. Technology is advancing so rapidly that it's hard to say what I would like to see invented, because I might not even know I need it.

One thing I have always wanted, though, the one invention that would truly make my life complete is this: I want a device that can erase a person. Now hold on, wait a minute. I'm not talking about murder. I don't want them to suffer. I don't want any violence, no pain, no sense of loss for anyone that may for reasons unknown have liked said person, I simply want a device I can point and click and *poof*, they never were. 

Get the on a great quest for the Infinity Stones.....

However, considering if such a device exists, others may well posses one as well.  Which brings forth the question of whether or not you would be around long enough to use yours....

9 minutes ago, Illiterate said:

Get the on a great quest for the Infinity Stones.....

However, considering if such a device exists, others may well posses one as well.  Which brings forth the question of whether or not you would be around long enough to use yours....

If not, then it wouldn't bother me ,now, would it?

tenor.gif

35 minutes ago, LFG said:

I think Steve already invented that.:clap4: