GoDuBois.com
Sign in to follow this  
mr.d

3 Infants Dead After Bacterial Infection At Danville Hospital

Hospital: 3 infants dead after bacterial infection

c40abd5d-0699-4945-a58d-60fc7059b771-lar
Hospital: 3 infants dead after bacterial infection. (MGN)

A Pennsylvania hospital says it is transferring some infants following a bacterial infection in its neonatal intensive care unit that affected eight newborns, three of whom have died.

Geisinger Medical Center in Danville said Monday that four of the babies have recovered and one is still being treated with antibiotics.

The hospital said all of the babies had been born prematurely, and the three deaths "may have been a result of the infection complicating their already vulnerable state due to extreme prematurity."

Officials say they are working with state and federal health authorities to make sure the pseudomonas waterborne bacterial infection has been eradicated.

As a precaution, the hospital is transferring babies born at less than 32 weeks to other hospitals and diverting other expected premature deliveries to other hospitals.                                                                  https://wjactv.com/news/local/hospital-3-infants-dead-after-bacterial-infection

This breaks my heart.  I remember some years back there was a similar case of this at another hospital.  They investigated for a long time before they found that the nurse taking care of the babies had a bacteria underneath her fake nails that was causing the trouble.  Quite a few deaths before they found it. 

Every day is a gift from God; that's why we call it the "present!"

39 minutes ago, Polo said:

This breaks my heart.  I remember some years back there was a similar case of this at another hospital.  They investigated for a long time before they found that the nurse taking care of the babies had a bacteria underneath her fake nails that was causing the trouble.  Quite a few deaths before they found it. 

Hopefully they remember this and can check. Something so simple can cause a big problem. Very sad.

3 hours ago, old farm boy said:

Doesn't hospital staff have to wear gloves when treating a patient?

I've only noticed gloves when they are taking blood or giving injections, but I could be wrong.

Every day is a gift from God; that's why we call it the "present!"

23 hours ago, Polo said:

I've only noticed gloves when they are taking blood or giving injections, but I could be wrong.

I rarely pay attention to when they wear gloves and when they don't.  I just had blood drawn this morning and can't even say for sure the tech wore gloves for sure.  I was more interested in watching the needle and how the blood was flowing, since we needed three vials this time.  Hey, I'm a guy, we can't do multiple things at the same time.  Gotta focus.  :surrender: