GoDuBois.com
Sign in to follow this  
mr.d

Worthville Borough Treasurer Charged After Stealing Nearly $50,000 From Borough

SPONSOR:  

PSP: Jefferson County treasurer charged after stealing nearly $50K from borough

1a795023-799c-4cdb-a2c8-17cd59ac0f9f-lar
A borough treasurer in Jefferson County is facing theft charges after investigators say she stole nearly $50,000 from the borough. (MGN)<br)

A borough treasurer in Jefferson County is facing theft charges after investigators say she stole nearly $50,000 from the borough.

According to state police, 37-year-old Kerran Snyder of Punxsutawney stole $47,331.90 from Worthville Borough between January 2015 and January 2019.

State police say Kerran was entrusted with the borough’s financials, and during this time, she used the borough’s checking account to pay her personal bills and write out checks to herself for cash.

Snyder has been charged with theft by deception, receiving stolen property and other related charges.

This is a developing story.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        https://wjactv.com/news/local/psp-jefferson-county-treasurer-charged-after-stealing-nearly-50k-from-borough

Sounds like this went on awhile.  I thought books had to be audited once a year in township government.  She would have had to produce receipts and explanations if there was an audit. Wonder what happened?  

Every day is a gift from God; that's why we call it the "present!"

Guest David Reitz

The PSP: Jefferson county treasurer... portion needs to be changed or the story should be taken down. Though within the body of work the piece has the woman's name who is responsible, the secondary headline could lead some to believe that "THE" Jefferson County Treasurer is the one guilty rather than "A" treasurer in a borough within Jefferson County. The link at the bottom of the article could be misconstrued as saying the same thing.

This may seem like a non-issue but to THE treasurer it would likely be a huge issue.

18 minutes ago, Keyser Soze said:

Population is 66. There is really no need for Pennsylvania to have towns this small.

It might not have always been so small.  

Places like Hallton, Westville/Coalglen, etc once had populations in the high hundreds, and into the thousands.    A borough charter just doesn't automatically die off.   For the charter to go away, the former adjacent townships have to reincorporate the parcels.   And with an old municipality, transferring land records is a time consuming and expensive procedure since you have to go back to the beginning of the titles.

37 minutes ago, dubois_15801 said:

It might not have always been so small.  

Places like Hallton, Westville/Coalglen, etc once had populations in the high hundreds, and into the thousands.    A borough charter just doesn't automatically die off.   For the charter to go away, the former adjacent townships have to reincorporate the parcels.   And with an old municipality, transferring land records is a time consuming and expensive procedure since you have to go back to the beginning of the titles.

Look at DuBois still being classified as a city

"" The measure of success is where preparation and opportunity meet ""

30 minutes ago, BillyC said:

Look at DuBois still being classified as a city

Yep.    City of Parker, population 810.   Or the Borough of State College, populations 42000+.

It isn't as cut & dry as it is in some states.

There are a couple ways to become a "city" in PA.   One is legislative declaration, another is having a certain kind of local government and enough population to get a charter.  

Boroughs have similar methods, without a population limit or requirement. 

No municipality rescinds upon population thresholds.

16 hours ago, Guest David Reitz said:

The PSP: Jefferson county treasurer... portion needs to be changed or the story should be taken down. Though within the body of work the piece has the woman's name who is responsible, the secondary headline could lead some to believe that "THE" Jefferson County Treasurer is the one guilty rather than "A" treasurer in a borough within Jefferson County. The link at the bottom of the article could be misconstrued as saying the same thing.

This may seem like a non-issue but to THE treasurer it would likely be a huge issue.

My guess is that people would be well advised to pay attention in school when the teachers are explaining the meaning of or use of "in" and "of", Just my two cents on a non-issue.

"Any man who can safely drive a car while kissing a pretty girl, simply isn't giving the kiss the attention it deserves"... Albert Einstein

"And how can we win, when fools be king?"

6 minutes ago, old farm boy said:

My guess is that people would be well advised to pay attention in school when the teachers are explaining the meaning of or use of "in" and "of", Just my two cents on a non-issue.

I agree. Using borough in the headline makes it pretty clear to me. If not it's spelled out in the first paragraph. 

Worthville Borough Treasurer Accused of Theft of Over $47K

arrest-photo.jpgPUNXSUTAWNEY, Pa. – The Pennsylvania State Police, in collaboration with Jefferson County District Attorney Jeff Burkett’s Office, have made an arrest regarding the theft of over $47,000.00 from Worthville Borough.

According to a release from the Pennsylvania State Police, a financial theft investigation identified 37-year-old Kerran Dale Snyder, of Punxsutawney, as the individual responsible for the theft of $47,331.90 from Worthville Borough.

Police say the investigation revealed that Snyder was employed by Worthville Borough as the borough secretary/treasurer and was entrusted to manage the Worthville Borough financials. In doing so, it is alleged that she intentionally stole $47,331.90 between January 2015 and January 2019.

According to police, during a recorded interview with Pennsylvania State Police Criminal Investigator Trooper Weaver, Snyder admitted to utilizing the Worthville Borough checking account to pay her personal bills and to write out checks to herself for cash.

Court documents indicate Snyder was arraigned in front of Magisterial District Judge Jacqueline J. Mizerock at 9:22 a.m. on Tuesday, October 8, on the following charges:

– Theft By Unlawful Taking-Movable Property, Felony 3
– Theft By Deception-False Impression, Felony 3
– Receiving Stolen Property, Felony 3
– Theft By Failure To Make Required Disposition of Funds, Felony 3

She remains free on $25,000.00 unsecured bail.

A preliminary hearing is scheduled for 10:45 a.m. on Thursday, November 7, with Judge Mizerock presiding.               https://www.explorejeffersonpa.com/breaking-news-worthville-borough-treasurer-accused-of-theft-of-over-47k/

17 hours ago, Guest David Reitz said:

After reading article, when I posted changed head line to reflect the correct Treasurer.  Channel 6 later on broadcast made a correction to which treasurer involved.

Guest David Reitz
58 minutes ago, pwacm said:

I agree. Using borough in the headline makes it pretty clear to me. If not it's spelled out in the first paragraph. 

I agree that people would be advised to pay attention, however my experience is that most do not. Most scrolls are headline grabs and that is it. All of the news channels made corrections because all were worded the same way at first.

17 hours ago, fedup said:

How can a person be this stupid?

I think what happens is they think they'll just take a little, and repay it later.  I've notice a lot of people  around here that gamble alot and waste their earnings on it, but figure they will win big and cover what they paid out.  Or, they have a habit they can't control any longer, and they are out of options, and take the money.  Any how, it mushrooms, and before you know it, they are in big trouble. Ya, they are stupid, it seems, but I can see how it happens.

25 minutes ago, Polo said:

I think what happens is they think they'll just take a little, and repay it later.  I've notice a lot of people  around here that gamble alot and waste their earnings on it, but figure they will win big and cover what they paid out.  Or, they have a habit they can't control any longer, and they are out of options, and take the money.  Any how, it mushrooms, and before you know it, they are in big trouble. Ya, they are stupid, it seems, but I can see how it happens.

Or drugs, booze. Or both.

THE WINDMILL IS LIBERALISM.

MY QUEST----------REMOVE LIBERALISM FROM THE FACE OF THE EARTH.

ALONG WITH EXPOSING THE TPD FOR WHAT IT REALLY IS.

New Details Emerge in Case Against Worthville Treasurer Accused of Stealing Over $47,000

shutterstock_608376650-cuffs-3.jpgWORTHVILLE BOROUGH, Pa. (EYT) – New details have been released regarding the theft investigation of over $47,000.00 from Worthville Borough.

Court documents indicate the Punxsutawney-based State Police filed the following criminal charges against 37-year-old Kerran Dale Snyder, of Punxsutawney:

– Theft By Unlawful Taking-Movable Property, Felony 3
– Theft By Deception-False Impression, Felony 3
– Receiving Stolen Property, Felony 3
– Theft By Failure To Make Req Disp Funds, Felony 3

The charges stem from an investigation that was initiated on February 27, 2019.

Details of the case:

According to a criminal complaint, the investigation was initiated when the President of the Worthville Borough Council reported indications of a financial crime associated to the Worthville Borough Financials to the Punxsutawney-based State Police.

The Borough Council President indicated that Kerran Snyder was given the position as the Worthville Borough secretary/treasurer in 2013; he noted that he would sign checks in advance. He stated that he was contacted by a member of the Ringgold Fire Department two weeks prior regarding a $150.00 check written out to the department on November 14, 2018, relating there was insufficient funds when they attempted to cash the check on February 4, 2019.

The Borough Council President then contacted Snyder by phone and was informed “she would take care of it.” Approximately one week later, the president received a call from Oliver Township Fire Department stating another check came back as insufficient funds. The president contacted Snyder again and left a voicemail, but then went to a bank in Punxsutawney, where he was provided with the Worthville Borough General Funds Checking Account Statements.

The statements were reviewed by the borough president, and he took them to the other borough council members.

According to the complaint, they discovered numerous discrepancies which made them suspicious that a crime was being committed against the Borough. The president indicated they noticed an automatic payment for a water bill, and noted Worthville doesn’t have public water, they have wells. They also noticed a First Energy Electric and Comcast payments which were not that of the Borough.

The complaint notes that at the January 2019 council meeting, Snyder gave the report of the checking account having $21,000.00.

According to the complaint, the Borough Council President indicated that discrepancies were discovered for a Liquid Fuel Tax Account which was a separate checking account at another bank, that should have approximately $2,700.00 as he believed the borough received $1,500.00 to $1,600.00 for 2019 alone. The president provided the known monthly and yearly bills associated to the Borough and indicated that Snyder was taken off of the bank account on February 27, 2019. He also provided Trooper Mosier with the documents and account information for the Worthville Borough Financials for her to appropriately initiate the investigation into this matter.

The complaint notes that around 6:08 p.m. on August 13, 2019, Snyder was interviewed at the Punxsutawney-based State Police barracks.

According to the complaint, Snyder admitted to utilizing the Worthville Borough checking account to pay her personal bills and to write out checks to herself for cash. When inquired about how much she had stolen, she allegedly indicated that she did not know for sure and would have to look through the documents to give the most accurate total amount stolen.

When asked if the amount exceeded $20,000.00, Snyder agreed that she stole at least that amount and probably more. When asked about the amount being in the approximate range of $50,000.00, she agreed that it is possible that it was around that amount, according to the complaint.

Around 7:30 p.m. on August 13, Troopers Mosier and Suprano accompanied Snyder to her residence in Punxsutawney where she retrieved a booklet full of blank checks which belong to Worthville Borough and then to her place of employment in Punxsutawney where she retrieved another booklet full of blank checks, a seal, and two boxes full of documents which belong to Worthville Borough.

On September 3, Trooper Mosier met with members of the Worthville Borough Council to discuss exact monthly and yearly bills and financials associated to the Worthville Borough which were important to complete a thorough forensic analysis of the Borough Financial documents. Trooper Mosier then worked in conjunction with the Jefferson County District Attorney’s office and PSP Troop C Forensic Services Unit to complete a forensic analysis of Worthville Borough Financial Documents from 2013 through January 2019.

According to the complaint, based on the analysis of the financial documents, numerous discrepancies were discovered regarding payments/checks written out for activity not connected to the Borough from January 2015 through January 2019. The discrepancies were linked to apparent checks wrote out for “cash” by Snyder to herself and direct deposits for payments of Snyder’s personal bills.

The complaint notes the total amount stolen from Worthville Borough by Snyder was identified to be $47,331.90.

Snyder was arraigned in front of Magisterial District Judge Jacqueline J. Mizerock at 9:22 a.m. on Tuesday, October 8.

She remains free on $25,000.00 unsecured bail.

A preliminary hearing is scheduled for Thursday, November 7, with Judge Mizerock presiding.                                        https://www.explorejeffersonpa.com/new-details-emerge-in-case-against-worthville-treasurer-accused-of-stealing-over-47000/

When you read about these types of crimes it always surprises me that it sometimes has been going on for years. Like in this case it was 4 years. Just doesn't seem that a person could get away with it for that long without something happening that would cause someone else to catch on. Easiest way , i guess , would be someone living and spending more than they usually do.

11 hours ago, mr.d said:

The Borough Council President indicated that Kerran Snyder was given the position as the Worthville Borough secretary/treasurer in 2013; he noted that he would sign checks in advance.

Why would you sign checks in advance?

47 minutes ago, Bon said:

Why would you sign checks in advance?

Well. I've seen that done at some of the local beer drinking clubs in the area , however that was all in the past. It was only done so that if a check was needed and a signee was not available they had one available. Not very good practice however.

28 minutes ago, BillyC said:

Well. I've seen that done at some of the local beer drinking clubs in the area , however that was all in the past. It was only done so that if a check was needed and a signee was not available they had one available. Not very good practice however.

Hate to say it, but the local clubs are a prime target for this kind of theft.  And a lot of times, the thief gets fired and no police report is made.  Happens with a lot of kids sports and scout organizations, too.  

3 hours ago, BillyC said:

When you read about these types of crimes it always surprises me that it sometimes has been going on for years. Like in this case it was 4 years. Just doesn't seem that a person could get away with it for that long without something happening that would cause someone else to catch on. Easiest way , i guess , would be someone living and spending more than they usually do.

That's the thing.  It went on for years.  Why wasn't this office audited yearly?  It could have been caught the same year if they had just audited.  Even at our church, we have a committee that audits the treasurer position yearly.  They can see receipts and look at the bank statements, etc.  I don't care who it is, or what organization it is, they need to be checked periodically!

You say "Why wasn't this office audited yearly?"

I say "Well now, I say Mary Sue has been doing a fine job for all these years and now you want us to spend $400, maybe $500 for some accountant to come in and tell us what we already know, that Mary Sue's been doing a fine job? I think we have better things to do with the little money we have."

I suspect that, or something very like it, is why.

3 hours ago, rnetzlof said:

I say "Well now, I say Mary Sue has been doing a fine job for all these years and now you want us to spend $400, maybe $500 for some accountant to come in and tell us what we already know, that Mary Sue's been doing a fine job? I think we have better things to do with the little money we have."

As blatant as these people seem to be about it a few members of the organization going over the books and receipts should make embezzlement obvious. She was apparently paying household bills out of the account including bills that weren't even applicable. How hard is that to notice?

On 10/16/2019 at 2:30 PM, rnetzlof said:

You are probably right.  But, as Lavender just said, you can have the other employees or members do their own checking and most likely find evidence of something if anything is going on, and internal audit, per se.