GoDuBois.com
Sign in to follow this  
mr.d

9-Year-Old To Face 5 Murder Charges In Deadly Illinois Fire

9-year-old to face 5 murder charges in deadly Illinois fire

5 killed in Illinois fire died of smoke inhalation (CNN Newsource)<p>{/p}
facebook.svg

A prosecutor charged a 9-year-old with five counts of first-degree murder in connection with a mobile home fire that killed five people.

Woodford County State's Attorney Greg Minger says the juvenile also will be charged with two counts of arson and one count of aggravated arson.

"I have compassion for him because in my own heart I really can't see how a 9-year-old would intentionally want to harm somebody, but inside him, there had to be something that just didn't click right," said neighbor Marie Chockley. " I just have a lot of concern for his future."

At the time of the April 6 fire, seven people were inside the home and only two survived.

The victims included a 1-year-old, two 2-year-olds, a 34-year-old man and a 69-year-old woman.

The fire happened in Goodfield, a village along Interstate 74 between Peoria and Bloomington,

"It was very shocking and disbelief that this happened to one of our neighbors," said neighbor Rodney Chockley.

Minger would not reveal other details about the suspect, including a possible relationship to the victims.

Many in the area are still comprehending the charges, saying it’s a difficult process for everyone involved.

"I'm praying for mercy over this and for him to be able to get help and to have a second chance in life," Marie Chockley said. "You know, he is a child."

The child, if convicted, could be placed on probation for at least five years but not beyond the age of 21. Therapy and counseling would be likely.

Counseling and help would be provided.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                SEE VIDEO, PICTURES  ;   https://wjactv.com/news/nation-world/9-year-old-to-face-5-murder-charges-in-deadly-illinois-fire