GoDuBois.com
Sign in to follow this  
Petee

Oil Creek to Tionesta Railroad Trip

We just got home, but we did stop for supper.  It was a full day, and the station alone in worth the trip.  They have something like 20 cabooses where you can stay overnight for $89, and they're really nice although not as nicely situated as Dr. Doolittles with the activities and different restaurants around it.

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who watch them without doing anything"

Albert Einstein

The very best part was spending the day with kids, spouses and one of the great grandchildren who is 2.  He's a bundle of energy and so intelligent!!  We'll definitely do it again when we have the entire family along for the ride.

It is a diesel locomotive that switches ends when you get to the end of the run, then it pulls you backwards to the original station.  It is runs by employees and lots of volunteers.  More like this could be done here if we had the leadership and the VOLUNTEERS to do it.

They have light buffet style cooked foods and snack bar type food in the station before the ride, free coffee, a nice gift shop, and the station itself, which has been renovated, is very nice.  They didn't overdo it and add everything polished and commercial. A lot of the original wood and details are still intact. There were also some historical displays.

The train was old and original but clean and the original toilets can still be used.  I think there were about 15? train cars.  There is a snack car with the ever- present hot dogs, lots of open spaces to look out, a postcard center, and you could walk from car to car which is worth the ride all by itself! It's just a little scary but pretty safe.  There is an open cattle-type car that you can walk back and visit. The seats have a swing back hinge so you can sit facing friends or school bus style.  Facing together is tight at the knees but we did it anyway. Then it would be three people and a small child to that section.

Their speaker system sucks, and it would have been nice to be able to hear what the narrator was saying.  I'm sure there is lots of history up there.  

I was surprised with what a beautiful area it it up there, and how well kept with lots of parks and well kept green spaces.  Along the tracks it was a mixture of artifacts, houses, beautiful forests and fields.  36 is very nice to drive.  It's all new pavement.

We went to Sams in Titusville for supper which was a major mistake.  The food is average, but it wasn't fresh cooked, and it was Saturday night after the train ride.  The wait staff was so overwhelmed that we served ourselves drinks and extras. It was PACKED!!  We waited for an hour and a half for our meals, then got it all cold.  They didn't plan ahead for the train people.

There were lots of Sycamores along the river and many of the trees were massive while being very tall.  I did spy one Japanese Knotweed but not a lot of other invasive plants.  If I hiked, I would go back up and get rid of it before it spreads. It appeared that a lot of the Hemlock may be infected with Hemlock Wooley Adelgid but there were lots of the trees.   Many trees fall along the track which is evidenced by all of the cut-off trunks which barely clear the train.  There is also a cliff on one side from which some small building sized boulders have rolled across the tracks (not recently) and now lay between the river and the train.

The ride is a nice combination of smooth and rocking motion, with a definite lean at places. and some major bangs as the locomotive started off and reconnected or adjusted the  cars.  We crossed roads and passed a Marathon in progress.  There are lots of trails along the tracks and the river.  One lady, who is 99 years old always waves at the train out on her porch, and was there, laughing and leaning on her cane as the train passed in both directions.

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who watch them without doing anything"

Albert Einstein