GoDuBois.com

Go DuBois gardening question

Ignatius

For our area, can someone help me with suggestions for a ground cover in a shady area, that sees little sun light.  Also, the area is under a maple tree, with lots of shale outcropping and quick drainage.

Thanks in advance.

T.

Guest panurse

Hostas survive just about everywhere. I have them in different areas. Some with lots of sun....others with very little.

What you probably have is dry shade, which is the most difficult area to successfully plant. Here is a list of plants most of which I grow in the shade. Some of it may need more moisture than you can provide but without seeing the area I can't be certain.

Lamnium (pink flowered ones grow better than the white.)

brunnera (stick with Jack Frost it is the most vigerous)

bugleweed (color is better in the sun)

bearberry

sweet woodruff

ivy

lungwort

creeping dogwood

chameleon plant

pachysandra

European ginger

lily of the valley  (takes a while to get established but then grows like crazy)

vinca

I find that hostas will not grow well under large trees and in dry conditions. Vinca is tricky. It either grows or it doesn't. I think it likes good drainage  but some moisture. I haven't a lot of experience with pachysandra but some came in with bushes and it is happily growing and multiplying under a lilac. It isn't the driest place but there is a lot of competition for moisture as the lilac is ancient and is really dozens of plants. The only plant that I know that really thrives in dry shade is variegated Solomon's seal but it isn't really a ground cover. 

ps I've got tons of some of this stuff if you want to experiment.