GoDuBois.com
Sign in to follow this  
Pompeii

Election results ...

SPONSOR:  

1 hour ago, Guest Lali said:

Herm is also the United Way director 

Well that’s cool. I’m not saying anything bad on him. He just like being involved with the city and know everything that’s going on. Just kinda glad someone gives a crap about Dubois.  Or so it seems he does. But I could be wrong.

I really liked both Shaw and Sayers.  But I hope Sayers will do really well!  I really have nothing against Shaw and is record.  It was a hard one for me but I voted for Sayers.  I like to see what younger folks can bring to the table. 

8 hours ago, YourBoy said:

The way DuBois governance is set up, the mayor doesn't have much power.  City council does and the hire the city executive. 

Kinda pointless to have (2) chief executives.   The hiring of a city executive(manager) goes against the democratic-republican (not party) process.   It is a waste of money in reality.  ...nothing really much different from having a figure-head monarch and then a prime minister.

10 hours ago, conservativeman633 said:

.that is a big part of the problem...…...many people don't take elections seriously enough to know who is on the ballot, etc....

The most people care is if there is a D or an R beside their name.  Which is why political parties need to be banned.   George Washington's farewell address mentioned why parties are bad, and today's government on all levels proved him correct.

58 minutes ago, dubois_15801 said:

Kinda pointless to have (2) chief executives.   The hiring of a city executive(manager) goes against the democratic-republican (not party) process.   It is a waste of money in reality.  ...nothing really much different from having a figure-head monarch and then a prime minister.

Use of the Council-Manager Form of Government 

The council-manager form of government was created to fight corruption and unethical behavior by fostering professionalism, transparency, responsiveness, and accountability. To the greatest extent possible, council-manager cities and counties separate the political nature of law and policy making with the apolitical nature of implementation.

This form of government is used in cities and counties large and small. Most small cities use the council-manager form of government. Some large cities have retained a strong mayor form of government to effectively deal with immense political pressures that come with a large population.

While this form of government was created in the US, its use has spread to other countries. Local governments in Canada, Australia, the Netherlands, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom have adopted the council-manager system.

Manager 

Under the council-manager form of government the city manager functions as the chief executive of the government organization. Like a private sector, CEO does for a company, the city manager oversees the day-to-day operations of the city and serves as the chief advisor to the city council.

Mayor 

In most situations, the mayor is a voting member of the city council who has no more authority than any other council member. The mayor presides over council meetings and performs ceremonial duties as outlined in the city charter. Effective mayors exert more influence than their official authority gives them.

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/council-manager-form-of-government-1669446

11 hours ago, Keyser Soze said:

Use of the Council-Manager Form of Government 

The council-manager form of government was created to fight corruption and unethical behavior by fostering professionalism, transparency, responsiveness, and accountability. To the greatest extent possible, council-manager cities and counties separate the political nature of law and policy making with the apolitical nature of implementation.

This form of government is used in cities and counties large and small. Most small cities use the council-manager form of government. Some large cities have retained a strong mayor form of government to effectively deal with immense political pressures that come with a large population.

While this form of government was created in the US, its use has spread to other countries. Local governments in Canada, Australia, the Netherlands, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom have adopted the council-manager system.

Manager 

Under the council-manager form of government the city manager functions as the chief executive of the government organization. Like a private sector, CEO does for a company, the city manager oversees the day-to-day operations of the city and serves as the chief advisor to the city council.

Mayor 

In most situations, the mayor is a voting member of the city council who has no more authority than any other council member. The mayor presides over council meetings and performs ceremonial duties as outlined in the city charter. Effective mayors exert more influence than their official authority gives them.

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/council-manager-form-of-government-1669446

Meh...   Leave it to the US to screw up things.   ...shift a historically executive official into a legislative official to hire someone as the executive.

The principle of a hired manager is repugnant to liberty, much like hired/appointed police instead of elected marshals and sheriffs(their deputies then could be appointed).

3 hours ago, hipower said:

Which makes a good argument for eliminating straight party voting, IMO.

Since 2000, several states have been moving away from straight party voting.  Waiting for the day when we can vote from our own phones/computers.  The bake sales are nice, but I don't like going to a polling place.  I don't like people knowing what party I'm affiliated with or if I voted or not.  Neither are anyone's business.  

14 hours ago, dubois_15801 said:

The most people care is if there is a D or an R beside their name.  Which is why political parties need to be banned.   George Washington's farewell address mentioned why parties are bad, and today's government on all levels proved him correct.

It is not the 'parties' that do the voting, but rather the voters....nothing wrong with parties.  We have done well for centuries with them before......

Democrats opposed the elimination of straight-ticket voting

10/29/19

Legislation that would abolish straight-ticket voting was amended Tuesday to add reforms long sought by critics of Pennsylvania’s election laws.

But the changes — including no-excuse absentee voting and extended deadlines to submit ballots — was not enough to appeal to most Democrats on the House State Government Committee, which approved the amendments with a 17-8 vote that was pretty much on party lines, with just two Democrats voting in favor of them.

The other eight cited the straight-ticket voting elimination (the bill’s sole, original purpose) as the reason for their opposition.

It also was the reason Gov. Tom Wolf vetoed similar legislation last summer. But Wolf’s spokesman said Wednesday the governor now views the amended bill as a compromise that would get badly needed changes enacted.

10/30/19

LEGISLATORS IN Pennsylvania’s state legislature passed a voting reform bill Tuesday that would, among other measures, eliminate “straight-ticket” voting in the state — whereby voters can fill in a single bubble to vote for a party’s entire slate. Gov. Tom Wolf is expected to sign the bill, and its provisions would go into effect immediately, in time for the 2020 election.

This represents a reversal for Wolf, who over the summer walked back a measure eliminating straight-ticket voting under pressure from both Democrats in the party and progressive organizations who support it. Democrats and progressives say the straight-ticket option is a boon for the party because it tends to increase the number of votes for down-ballot candidates, and Democrats in Pennsylvania’s state House had previously conducted internal analysis that showed that eliminating the straight-ticket option would have an overall negative impact for the party.

23 minutes ago, conservativeman633 said:

It is not the 'parties' that do the voting, but rather the voters....nothing wrong with parties.  We have done well for centuries with them before......

Voting impact of parties on:

Local government - little. State government - some. Federal government - enormous. 

"Be still, my fingers, be still" - fedup

2 hours ago, Vader said:

Local government - little. State government - some. Federal government - enormous. 

locally, if you are not a Republican it is twice as tough to get elected, all else being equal.     I've had the Rep. Committee tell me that they only support Republicans regardless of qualifications--------sad.

16 hours ago, conservativeman633 said:

locally, if you are not a Republican it is twice as tough to get elected, all else being equal.     I've had the Rep. Committee tell me that they only support Republicans regardless of qualifications--------sad.

Hasn't that always been the way parties operate?

19 hours ago, Vader said:

Tuesday we saw where straight party voters carried the vote for DA in Clearfield County.  It is sad that the only thing that allowed that change was party voters, in my opinion.