GoDuBois.com
Sign in to follow this  
Pompeii

Election results ...

SPONSOR:  

16 hours ago, conservativeman633 said:

locally, if you are not a Republican it is twice as tough to get elected, all else being equal.     I've had the Rep. Committee tell me that they only support Republicans regardless of qualifications--------sad.

But when the Democrats do the same thing it is a-ok right? BTW I’m back!

1 hour ago, hipower said:

Tuesday we saw where straight party voters carried the vote for DA in Clearfield County.  It is sad that the only thing that allowed that change was party voters, in my opinion.

Shaw lost because the voters did not want him anymore.

Shaw  always has had a Republican straight ticket voter disadvantage in past elections. This election even Democrats  abandoned the straight ticket and voted for Ryan Sayers.

55 minutes ago, Keyser Soze said:

Shaw lost because the voters did not want him anymore.

Shaw  always has had a Republican straight ticket voter disadvantage in past elections. This election even Democrats  abandoned the straight ticket and voted for Ryan Sayers.

Quite true, but the straight party votes were still a large factor.  In conversations with several folks much closer to this particular race last night they expressed the opinion that there were several cases where Shaw prosecuted people who, along with their families and supporters, were another factor in swaying previous support for Shaw.  True, or not, the results are what they are.

I read that only 37% of Clearfield County residents bothered to vote.    I am not sure if that number is correct, but it wouldn't surprise me.  I have a family member who "only votes for a president".  That's a shame.  

Personally, I have voted in every election,  big or small, since I turned 18.

2 hours ago, QuickDraw said:

I read that only 37% of Clearfield County residents bothered to vote.    I am not sure if that number is correct, but it wouldn't surprise me.  I have a family member who "only votes for a president".  That's a shame.  

Personally, I have voted in every election,  big or small, since I turned 18.

Congrats to you on your voting record.

The voter turnout was 39% which was about 10% higher than past Municipal Elections.

https://clearfieldco.org/election-results/

https://clearfieldco.org/results-archive/

29 minutes ago, BigT said:

If every citizen was required to vote or be fined $50 or $100 I think voter turnout percentage would be in the high 90’s.

Any other thoughts on this idea?

If you are going to charge me if I don't vote, I want every candidate fined for littering for every sign left after one week 

1 hour ago, BigT said:

If every citizen was required to vote or be fined $50 or $100 I think voter turnout percentage would be in the high 90’s.

We cannot compel the vote any more than we can suppress the vote.  It must remain a 'government of the people' where we get what we deserve, and what we desire in government....

2 hours ago, BigT said:

I feel the same about this idea as I do about fining people for not having health insurance. It's a free country do not erode my right to be careless, stupid or irresponsible. Or my right to whine about how awful things are. 

1 hour ago, lavender said:

I feel the same about this idea as I do about fining people for not having health insurance. It's a free country do not erode my right to be careless, stupid or irresponsible. Or my right to whine about how awful things are. 

.well, okay-------unless that behavior effects others.          

3 hours ago, conservativeman633 said:

.well, okay-------unless that behavior effects others.          

Well, so many things that people do affects my life I don't see why my behavior should be controlled so it doesn't affect their lives. It's funny how we want to control others, make them do things that they would not choose do do without compulsion because we believe that is how it should go, but get indignant when it is applied to our way of life. I should be compelled to vote but can get arrested for voicing my opinion in words that are not acceptable to some groups. Don't shame people for their life choices that granny wouldn't approve of because that is their right and the world has to accept it but feel free to shame people for not supporting those choices. They have a word for that down on the farm. 

On 11/8/2019 at 4:50 PM, conservativeman633 said:

locally, if you are not a Republican it is twice as tough to get elected, all else being equal.     I've had the Rep. Committee tell me that they only support Republicans regardless of qualifications--------sad.

That is why there are political committees. To lend support to their own party candidates. For better or worse.  Actually, you can make it easier in this area Conman.  Cross file if you dont like it. Go ahead and run. Set the example. You might even win both parties in March and wont have to worry in the General election. Step up.

9 hours ago, Keyser Soze said:

Congrats to you on your voting record.

The voter turnout was 39% which was about 10% higher than past Municipal Elections.

https://clearfieldco.org/election-results/

https://clearfieldco.org/results-archive/

If you want a bigger turnout - get voting day moved from 1st Tuesday of November to a Saturday.

Polls are open from 7:00 AM until 8:00 PM so I don't  see Saturday necessary or being a better choice. Just like I don't  agree with the Saturday opener of rifle deer season. If you want to do something, you will find a way and make it work! Just another case of cowing down to the few that effects the many!

"I am the master of my unspoken words and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken"

1 hour ago, Bub said:

Polls are open from 7:00 AM until 8:00 PM so I don't  see Saturday necessary or being a better choice. Just like I don't  agree with the Saturday opener of rifle deer season. If you want to do something, you will find a way and make it work! Just another case of cowing down to the few that effects the many!

7am to 8pm still isn't enough hours for a large portion of people.

18 hours ago, lavender said:

Well, so many things that people do affects my life I don't see why my behavior should be controlled so it doesn't affect their lives. 

agree----------if it doesn't affect their lives.     

A person with no health insurance might cause the taxpayers to foot the bill, etc, etc, etc,...…..

15 hours ago, dubois_15801 said:

7am to 8pm still isn't enough hours for a large portion of people.

If you work the election poll the 13 hours makes for a long day.  That is not counting the set up and tear down with the trip to Clearfield which makes for a 15 1/2 hour day.

According to the law and regulations you have to be at the polling place for the entire day.  

I am thinking your response may be with a hint of humor!

13 minutes ago, BigT said:

If you work the election poll the 13 hours makes for a long day.  That is not counting the set up and tear down with the trip to Clearfield which makes for a 15 1/2 hour day.

According to the law and regulations you have to be at the polling place for the entire day.  

I am thinking your response may be with a hint of humor!

15 + hours ??   Yeah, I've been slowing down a bit myself....

49 minutes ago, conservativeman633 said:

agree----------if it doesn't affect their lives.     

A person with no health insurance might cause the taxpayers to foot the bill, etc, etc, etc,...…..

True but then those who don't work and depend on the taxpayers to feed them affects the life of the taxpayer as well. So...... my logic is why should said taxpayer be fined for not having insurance when there is no sanction for refusing to work and therefore expecting the taxpayer to not only cover their health costs but feed, house and cloth them as well. To misquote Mr. Lincoln, "You can screw all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but the taxpayer gets it every time."

32 minutes ago, lavender said:

True but then those who don't work and depend on the taxpayers to feed them affects the life of the taxpayer as well. So...... my logic is why should said taxpayer be fined for not having insurance when there is no sanction for refusing to work and therefore expecting the taxpayer to not only cover their health costs but feed, house and cloth them as well. 

pretty big assumption saying they "refuse to work"...…...yes, life is not fair....

5 minutes ago, conservativeman633 said:

pretty big assumption saying they "refuse to work"...…...yes, life is not fair....

No assumption whatsoever. "Refuse to work" is self limiting. It does not include those who are willing but can't. Read carefully and don't make assumptions about what you read.