GoDuBois.com
Sign in to follow this  
Pompeii

Election results ...

SPONSOR:  

4 hours ago, BigT said:

If you work the election poll the 13 hours makes for a long day.  That is not counting the set up and tear down with the trip to Clearfield which makes for a 15 1/2 hour day.

According to the law and regulations you have to be at the polling place for the entire day.  

I am thinking your response may be with a hint of humor!

Negative about humor.   1-2 days of the year...    I don't feel sorry for them.

There are folks that have to commute a couple hours or more, randomly.   Commuters do not qualify for Absentee Ballots.

I am one of those folks.   My closest work area is 2 hours away, then spend all remaining daylight hours working as much as possible before driving a minimum of 2hrs home.   And I know a number of people who have similar situations.

Then lets factor in local working folks.    Get kids ready for school, go to work for 8-10hrs + plus drive time both ways, get kids from daycare/babysitters, make dinner, then try to make it to polling station(which could be a 30min drive away in rural areas).

8 minutes ago, dubois_15801 said:

Negative about humor.   1-2 days of the year...    I don't feel sorry for them.

There are folks that have to commute a couple hours or more, randomly.   Commuters do not qualify for Absentee Ballots.

I am one of those folks.   My closest work area is 2 hours away, then spend all remaining daylight hours working as much as possible before driving a minimum of 2hrs home.   And I know a number of people who have similar situations.

Then lets factor in local working folks.    Get kids ready for school, go to work for 8-10hrs + plus drive time both ways, get kids from daycare/babysitters, make dinner, then try to make it to polling station(which could be a 30min drive away in rural areas).

Have you ever applied for an absentee ballot with working out of town?

There are many parents that bring their kids to vote, preschool-kindergarten-grade schoolers and they use it as an educational experience.

Absentee ballots aren't as seamless as they need to be.  Several years ago we were out of state and applied for absentee ballots.  Getting approved was no problem.

The problem arose when the ballots arrived via mail far too close to the deadline for the ballots to be completed and returned in time.  While I can't positively say our ballots arrived late, based on the window of time for postal delivery to Clearfield I am comfortable saying it is a pretty solid bet they couldn't get there in time to be valid.

27 minutes ago, BigT said:

Have you ever applied for an absentee ballot with working out of town?

There are many parents that bring their kids to vote, preschool-kindergarten-grade schoolers and they use it as an educational experience.

Yes,  present qualifications are rather limited in PA for absentees.   If you are within your municipality for even a fraction of a second you do not qualify.  ....I already looked into it.   And to make it worse, you have to know for a fact that you will not be in that municipality ahead of time.

https://www.dos.pa.gov/VotingElections/Voters/WhattoKnow/Pages/Absentee-Ballot.aspx

Commuting folks get the hose.  There are a number of medical personnel that cant vote because of this.   Many live elsewhere but have to cover an emergency room shift counties away.    Utility workers are another bunch in the same boat.

DuBois_15801, thank you for the information on the absentee ballot information.

i may have to stop by Matt Gabler's office and see if this regulation can be amended for the people in your situation and others.

i would think that a change would be a good bipartisan and easy effort to get passed. 

18 hours ago, hipower said:

Absentee ballots aren't as seamless as they need to be.  Several years ago we were out of state and applied for absentee ballots.  Getting approved was no problem.

The problem arose when the ballots arrived via mail far too close to the deadline for the ballots to be completed and returned in time.  While I can't positively say our ballots arrived late, based on the window of time for postal delivery to Clearfield I am comfortable saying it is a pretty solid bet they couldn't get there in time to be valid.

I have been told the request for absentee voting ballots can now be made on line.

If this is a fact the process can save a few days! 

1 hour ago, YourBoy said:

In PA, starting now you can vote by mail without needing an excuse.  You can send in your ballot starting 50 days prior to the election.  Straight party voting is now gone as well. 

It was signed into law in late October and will begin with the 2020 election.