GoDuBois.com

I'm asking this in all sincerity.  When someone is in a house alone with a gun and that person wants to kill themselves why are neighboring homes evacuated? For example the situation on Friday on Oklahoma Salem Rd. Now I understand there needs to be an intervention if someone is going to harm themself. There were thirty plus police officers on the scene. It's not like the gentleman is easily going to run to a neighbor or through the neighborhood. What am I not understanding? I would be annoyed if I had to evacuate because someone with a mental health issue is holed up in his house with a firearm. 

Well bullets can travel through walls. They evacuate in case the person just starts shooting randomly. 

That little wall or window you have won't stop a bullet but your body might. 

It is an inconvenience but better safe than sorry. 

Every time the Government IMPOSES new Regulations to Protect Us, we LOSE a Little MORE of our FREEDOMS....

MORE Government = LESS Freedom

What Gator said.  ^^^

Walls don't stop bullets.   Heck, most stick-built houses erected since the middle of last century can be broken into with just a utility knife - cut right through the exterior wall.   Poly vinyl siding, a 1/2" to 3/4" thick insulation board, 4" of fiberglass insulation between the studs, then 1/2" to 3/4" of drywall.

The only thing a full wall will stop is some birdshot from a distance.

A bullet could hit the gas line going into a house or the gas stove. If a propane tank is sitting on the grill or the porch, they can blow if they get hit. There are many factors as to why they ask people to leave their homes, but their safety is #1 reason.