GoDuBois.com
Sign in to follow this  
BigT

Internet providers

SPONSOR:  

I have been told by my kids that Verizon DSL in DuBois is way to slow. I have the highest speed available at $39.99 a month.

Comcast offers their Performance Internet for the same price.

Is Comcast internet really that much faster? Can I use my own router-wifi if I switch?

43 minutes ago, BigT said:

I have been told by my kids that Verizon DSL in DuBois is way to slow. I have the highest speed available at $39.99 a month.

Is Comcast internet really that much faster? Can I use my own router-wifi if I switch?

Comcast is far superior in my opinion. Just remember after the $39.99 promo price ends in a year or two, to call them and threaten to cancel so they'll give you the same price again. :)

1 hour ago, BigT said:

Apparently Verizon is just as slow at TL.  But I'm old and slow so I probably don't care.  If you want to stream things it is obviously an issue. 

Sadly the only other choice here is Zito, who has many service interruptions and complete failures for long periods of time in many areas.  Guess I'll just be old and slow.

I also pay for the highest speed on Verizon and it's deteriorated down to ridiculous.  I even bought one of the Boosters which helped greatly for a couple of days, and possibly still is, but I don't think it can boost what isn't there to begin with.

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who watch them without doing anything"

Albert Einstein

Yes, Comcast will be faster given the two technologies involved.

You can use your own router(wifi).   Comcast's system only cares up to their modem.   What you hook onto the LAN port really doesn't matter to Comcast's equipment.   

You may have to reconfig your router though if you had manually set some IP parameters.  ...if you just did an auto-config, you would only need to power cycle your router.

19 minutes ago, dubois_15801 said:

Yes, Comcast will be faster given the two technologies involved.

You can use your own router(wifi).   Comcast's system only cares up to their modem.   What you hook onto the LAN port really doesn't matter to Comcast's equipment.   

You may have to reconfig your router though if you had manually set some IP parameters.  ...if you just did an auto-config, you would only need to power cycle your router.

Thank you, I will be making the call.

Comcast's system only cares up to their modem- Do you the modem? Will I even have to disconnect the modem/ wifi that I have now?

32 minutes ago, BigT said:

Thank you, I will be making the call.

Comcast's system only cares up to their modem- Do you the modem? Will I even have to disconnect the modem/ wifi that I have now?

ADSL(Verizon) and DOCSIS(Comcast) are not the same.   You will get a new modem from Comcast that will need to be plugged into the cable line.   Your router then plugs into the cable modem.

Most of Comcast's new modems also have their own WIFI.   But that doesn't stop you from using your own router's WIFI signal to connect to the internet.

Verizon's modem will then need to be unplugged, and possibly returned.

18 hours ago, YourBoy said:

A modem and router are two separate devices. The device Comcast provides to you is a combination modem/router.  

With comcast  you can use your own modem and router.  If you have comcast phone, you just need to purchase a telephone modem.  If you buy, you will break even in 12 to 18 months vs renting.  However, you will need to be your own support person.

19 hours ago, dubois_15801 said:

ADSL(Verizon) and DOCSIS(Comcast) are not the same.   You will get a new modem from Comcast that will need to be plugged into the cable line.   Your router then plugs into the cable modem.

Most of Comcast's new modems also have their own WIFI.   But that doesn't stop you from using your own router's WIFI signal to connect to the internet.

Verizon's modem will then need to be unplugged, and possibly returned.

Default router settings typically dont play nice with Comcast modem/router/wifi. For those unwilling or unable to properly configure the devices, going with the all in one is easier.

Guest THX
17 minutes ago, Petee said:

Important question.  If I change to Comcast, would I need to get a new e-mail address?

I didn’t just used my my old one from Verizon 

4 hours ago, Petee said:

Important question.  If I change to Comcast, would I need to get a new e-mail address?

If you are using a @verizon.net or @verizon.com email address, they will stop working sometime after cancelling your internet service with Verizon(because use of their email is part of their internet service).

You will then have the option of having a @comcast.net email address.

9 hours ago, dubois_15801 said:

If you are using a @verizon.net or @verizon.com email address, they will stop working sometime after cancelling your internet service with Verizon(because use of their email is part of their internet service).

You will then have the option of having a @comcast.net email address.

i have been using my verizon email for well over a year now and haven't had verizon internet for over 2 plus years

15 hours ago, Petee said:

I wouldn't count on keeping it. They could pull the plug on it at any time. Best advice is to get a Gmail email account (or some other email account, NOT dependent on your internet provider....I just have a preference for Gmail).  That way, if/when you switch providers, no worries.