GoDuBois.com
mr.d

Game Commission Investigating Viral Video Of Hunters Abusing Deer

SPONSOR:  

Guest Truth

The crime does not have to occur on federal land for this to be a federal crime. They participated in interstate commerce when they uploaded the video to the internet.

4 hours ago, jaman said:

According to a Game Commission investigator tonight they arent sure if it happened in PA or Not. If it didnt. I believe the law is applicable because they live in PA. Its a technicality.

What state did they have a license for/tag the deer in? 

On 12/1/2019 at 5:30 PM, hunter said:

curious to see what happens to these two pieces of crap

They will go to trial and will be found guilty.  They will be fined $50,000.00 each and it will never be paid or sentenced to 30 days in jail with 2 years probation or lose their hunting privileges for life.  My opinion, not enough punishment.

Over 300K people sign petition for criminal charges related to deer torture video

(AP File photo)<br><br><br><p>{/p}

An online petition calling for two males to be criminally charged after torturing an injured deer has received hundreds of thousands of signatures.

The Change.org petition was created after a video of two males kicking and torturing an injured deer in what's believed to be Pennsylvania went viral on social media over the weekend, getting millions of views and hundreds of thousands of shares.

The video shows two males laughing as they kick an injured white-tailed buck in the face and rip one of its antlers off.

The Change.org petition calls for charges to be filed with maximum sentencing and as of 5 p.m. Monday, has received over 300,000 signatures.

Brookville police confirmed that the two males are from Brookville, but the incident happened outside of their jurisdiction.

6 News spoke with a Pennsylvania Game Commission officer Monday who said they do believe there is a violation, but they are still in the investigation process.

The game commission is also asking for more information related to the video by calling the operation game thief hotline at 1-888-PGC-8001, or the game commission's northwest region dispatches at 814-432-3187.

You can view the petition here.                                                                                                                                                        SEE VIDEO REPORT    ;    https://wjactv.com/news/local/300k-people-sign-petition-for-criminal-charges-related-to-deer-torture-video

9 hours ago, dubois_15801 said:

Not all lands in & around Kinzua is federal.  ...just like the Allegheny National Forest.  It is a patchwork of properties.   Google Maps may show all green for park/forest, but the actual property lines matter.

Odds are these two did this act very local, within 25 miles of town.

The Allegheny National Forest is less than 20 miles from Brookville starting just north of the Clarion River near Millstone. Federal land.

1 hour ago, mr.d said:

Over 300K people sign petition for criminal charges related to deer torture video

(AP File photo)<br><br><br><p>{/p}

An online petition calling for two males to be criminally charged after torturing an injured deer has received hundreds of thousands of signatures.

The Change.org petition was created after a video of two males kicking and torturing an injured deer in what's believed to be Pennsylvania went viral on social media over the weekend, getting millions of views and hundreds of thousands of shares.

The video shows two males laughing as they kick an injured white-tailed buck in the face and rip one of its antlers off.

The Change.org petition calls for charges to be filed with maximum sentencing and as of 5 p.m. Monday, has received over 300,000 signatures.

Brookville police confirmed that the two males are from Brookville, but the incident happened outside of their jurisdiction.

6 News spoke with a Pennsylvania Game Commission officer Monday who said they do believe there is a violation, but they are still in the investigation process.

The game commission is also asking for more information related to the video by calling the operation game thief hotline at 1-888-PGC-8001, or the game commission's northwest region dispatches at 814-432-3187.

You can view the petition here.                                                                                                                                                        SEE VIDEO REPORT    ;    https://wjactv.com/news/local/300k-people-sign-petition-for-criminal-charges-related-to-deer-torture-video

Its 5:30 am Eastern Time and people are signing the petition at a rate of one per minute.

What disturbs me even more than this, and this has greatly disturbed me, is the fact that this particular incident made it into the news, but what about the ones over the years that haven't?  If this is happening once right now, think the about the incidents that are happening we know nothing about.  It breaks my heart.

Every day is a gift from God; that's why we call it the "present!"

On 12/2/2019 at 10:14 AM, Keyser Soze said:

“(d) Exceptions.—

“(1) IN GENERAL.—This section does not apply with regard to any conduct, or a visual depiction of that conduct, that is—

“(A) a customary and normal veterinary, agricultural husbandry, or other animal management practice;

“(B) the slaughter of animals for food;

“(C) hunting, trapping, fishing, a sporting activity not otherwise prohibited by Federal law, predator control, or pest control;

"any conduct, that is-.... hunting, fishing, a sporting activity...

I submit that they were no longer hunting when they gleefully and sadistically  tortured this animal. The hunting stopped and the crime ensued. Hunting has nothing to do with this behavior. In fact, this law was written exactly for this type of heinous act.

A federal grand jury can decide if this incident did indeed break this law. 

In addition I saw nothing in the statute that limited this crime to federal land. It cites anywhere under Federal Jurisdiction which would include all lands in the U.S.

3 hours ago, Lupara said:

"any conduct, that is-.... hunting, fishing, a sporting activity...

I submit that they were no longer hunting when they gleefully and sadistically  tortured this animal. The hunting stopped and the crime ensued. Hunting has nothing to do with this behavior. In fact, this law was written exactly for this type of heinous act.

A federal grand jury can decide if this incident did indeed break this law. 

In addition I saw nothing in the statute that limited this crime to federal land. It cites anywhere under Federal Jurisdiction which would include all lands in the U.S.

There are (2) laws on this matter.  One is the older law about videos of animal cruelty.  They other is the more recent law, just signed by Trump that outlaws the actual act of cruelty.  That newer law requires the act to be on federal lands or effect interstate commerce.

Everyone keeps citing that new law, but it does not apply because the act has to be proven to have taken place on federal lands or proven to effect interstate commerce. 

The video law, probably does apply.   But again, even if the law doesn't state federal lands/effect interstate commerce - Congress is still limited to those powers.   There have been a number of federal laws thrown out because of that limitation.  So the prosecutors will still have to prove they were on fed land, or the video did effect interstate commerce.

It is the same reason why federal law doesn't make murder of humans illegal unless they were kidnapped and taken across state lines. ....but regulation of milk being taken across state lines is constitutional.

Guest Mabell
On 12/2/2019 at 2:45 PM, jaman said:

Guilty not only once but twice. A deer and chipmunk.

There is another FB post with another kid involved. He/They tortured and killed a groundhog. He also seemed to be very proud of it. It was posted on one of the guys' wall if you care to see it. 

State Representative Weighs In On Deer Abuse Situation

PA State Rep. Cris Dush
1 hr ·

I am sure that most people are aware of the incident involving two teens and a deer in our area that have been all over social media. The acts depicted were terrible to watch and I do understand the visceral reaction of revulsion people have had.

When I’d first seen it I forwarded the information to the Pennsylvania Game Commission Saturday night. They already had the information and began working immediately on it. They were in on Sunday at the Northwest Regional office getting things together to begin the formal investigation on Monday. Since that time the Game Commission has been actively working with the Jefferson County District Attorney in pursuing this matter.

Some things I’d like to address:

1. This case is not a Law and Order Special Victims Unit television show that can be wrapped up in an hour. It will be investigated properly (the Game Commission is doing everything to ensure there are no loopholes in the work they are doing) and by the law and Pennsylvania Rules of Criminal Procedure. I will be following the situation.

2. The Game Commission has jurisdiction in this matter, however there have been subsequent issues as a result of the emotional responses that have come to the attention of the Pennsylvania State Police. There are reports of threats made to family members of the teens and others which will be followed up on and if laws have been violated in those cases law enforcement will have my full support as well.

3. We live in a nation of laws. Those of us who’ve served in other countries where that is not the case understand the dangers to society of stepping outside those bounds. Most of the people of this nation have no idea how bad it can be if we cross those lines. Let those who we’ve hired to do the investigation and prosecution do their job.

4. If you are one who has seen the videos realize that you are witnessing one event that most people never see but, unfortunately in this fallen world, similar acts of atrocity are occurring moment by moment in this country and around the world which you are blessed to never witness. From young boys and girls who are trafficked as sex slaves here and abroad to domestic violence that is occurring behind closed doors that is so similar in many ways to what happened to that poor animal and the victims are just as helpless, yet we never see those as we observed on that video, yet it’s happening in nearly every community in America.

5. Please keep all of the above in mind when you are looking at the people who are taking advantage of the situation on social media to stir you up in order to increase their “likes” or followers. The authorities will follow the law and get things done which need to be done. It’s in the proper hands.

6. Please pray for all involved, both directly and indirectly. The families of those teens need your prayers, not threats. The teens need to be held legally accountable, but they also need your prayers. The people involved in investigating and prosecuting need to be prayed for as well as the legal counsel the teens are constitutionally entitled to. The school needs your prayer as they deal with the fallout of this with the classmates and young people who’ve been exposed to the videos. This is not going to be easy on any of them.

Let those who we’ve hired to take care of things do their job and do what you can to tone down the rhetoric that is going on. This is not a situation to be taken advantage of to further one's individual status or one's cause. It is a time to come together to solve problems, not throw threats or stir any additional anger above and beyond what one feels at seeing the video itself. Ask yourself the question; How can I peacefully and lovingly make this situation better?

On 12/2/2019 at 6:39 PM, dubois_15801 said:

For the federal government to have authority it must be on federal lands or effect interstate commerce.  It even says so in the law.

It is a limitation of powers in Article I Section 8 and the 10th Amendment.

Why don't you volunteer to become their lawyer and find ways of getting them off with a slap on the wrist for not having blaze orannge attire, 

12 hours ago, Guest Mabell said:

There is another FB post with another kid involved. He/They tortured and killed a groundhog. He also seemed to be very proud of it. It was posted on one of the guys' wall if you care to see it. 

I saw it and the smile the kid had on his face for what he had done was extremely disturbing.