GoDuBois.com

1 hour ago, Petee said:

Neither have I.  I went to Minnesota and Canada once, and once to New England and we won a vacation to the Bahamas but that was 30-40 years ago.  Our friends all go places on a regular basis, but we invest our money in home, family and our land.  That's all we have.  If others have problems with their homes, they can move, at our stage of life, we can't.  Security on our own land with a predictable future is important.  Unfortunately we built way too close to town and it may come back to bite us in the end.

We've been lucky in that we've been able to feel free of unmanageable debt, and when the gas went through, we could avoid it. No sewer and water bills have made it easier also, although we've had some heavy repairs at times, we could do alot of the work ourselves and it's always been cheaper than an unpredictable bill.  We don't need someone forcing services on us that would force us into debt.

We're both 72 and still work to keep a savings for unexpected problems.  There's not enough to include luxuries or something that the government thinks we should have but don't need or want, and probably won't use.  

Remember that when the government gives you money, they want something back, like matching funds, and where do they come from?

That's why I would choose carefully planned development that everyone can prepare for. It has to work for everyone as they are able to deal with it.

Farms are another problem.  Sandy Township has a lot more than anyone would think, and they struggle along.  All farmers have to hold down a second job in order to survive, but they are crucial to society and every one that is lost is a major problem.  Downtown can't be taxed the same way as those who live out in Sandy Township.  

I'd rather know what's coming so we might be able to get out of the way if necessary.

Not just the farm aspect, but the sporting activities aspect.   In Sandy Twp, target shooting on your own land with proper backstops is a normal thing.   Whereas if DuBois ordinances take effect, that would impact that issue.  

I can certainly understand limiting/regulating target shooting in town, but out in the sticks - not.  

I'm sure there are a number of other conflicting ordinances that fit one area, but not the other.

1 hour ago, jt85 said:

When they consolidate just remember sandy township will be part of the monopoly here in DuBois. You have no choice but what DuBois choices. Screw the roads and education. Baseball fields and street lights will be the first topic to better sandy Bois.  U won’t have a choice who gets ur garbage and ur water/sewage rates will skyrocket. I’m sure herm is loving getting more area to control. And I find it funny certain people will think this is great but what has changed in the last 20 years in either place. Nothing in DuBois and in sandy the people that run it is all. I don’t think DuBois should take on anymore debt and neither should sandy. Take care of your own area before trying to save others. 

I respect your your comments but you sound like the old timers who were against consolidation the last 3 times it was put to a vote.

The monopoly you speak of may or not happen, let's see what the study results are. 

What makes you think that the new DuBois would take on any more debt?

From my point of view both council and the supervisors are fiscally conservative about raising taxes.  

1 minute ago, dubois_15801 said:

Not just the farm aspect, but the sporting activities aspect.   In Sandy Twp, target shooting on your own land with proper backstops is a normal thing.   Whereas if DuBois ordinances take effect, that would impact that issue.  

I can certainly understand limiting/regulating target shooting in town, but out in the sticks - not.  

I'm sure there are a number of other conflicting ordinances that fit one area, but not the other.

i bet the sporting activities in the Sandy area could be grandfathered in.

1 hour ago, Petee said:

We're both 72 and still work to keep a savings for unexpected problems.  There's not enough to include luxuries or something that the government thinks we should have but don't need or want, and probably won't use.  

Remember that when the government gives you money, they want something back, like matching funds, and where do they come from?

That's why I would choose carefully planned development that everyone can prepare for. It has to work for everyone as they are able to deal with it.

Farms are another problem.  Sandy Township has a lot more than anyone would think, and they struggle along.  All farmers have to hold down a second job in order to survive, but they are crucial to society and every one that is lost is a major problem.  Downtown can't be taxed the same way as those who live out in Sandy Township.  

I'd rather know what's coming so we might be able to get out of the way if necessary.

If consolidation comes up for a vote and it is approved I am willing to bet you will be 74-75 years old by then. Most people like where they live but life changes things and we all must move to smaller and one level abodes. I know we will be leaving our home within 5-8 years for something smaller on one level.

I agree with your comments about farms. 

17 minutes ago, dubois_15801 said:

There will be plenty of time to work through the ordinances so little or nothing would change as far as land use for Sandy residents. 

30 minutes ago, BigT said:

I respect your your comments but you sound like the old timers who were against consolidation the last 3 times it was put to a vote.

The monopoly you speak of may or not happen, let's see what the study results are. 

What makes you think that the new DuBois would take on any more debt?

From my point of view both council and the supervisors are fiscally conservative about raising taxes.  

I’m not an old timer by any means. And the monopoly is already happening in DuBois. And I don’t feel sandy wants to be part of that. Do I think it would be great for new heads in the seats here in DuBois yes. And I think sandy township supervisors would do a better job because they care about their citizens. When I think of sandy township I think of country and family oriented people. They are the heart of this area and have respect for one another. Here in DuBois is where can we get the next penny for the padded seats on the benches. Or how many light post we can put up. I just don’t see sandy residents going for this at all..

"There will be plenty of time to work through the ordinances so little or nothing would change as far as land use for Sandy residents.  "

If the former city and the former township are to be treated differently after consolidation, then what is the point of consolidating?

1 hour ago, dubois_15801 said:

In the township you can have a fire (burn barrel , firepit) but you can not in the city

"" The measure of success is where preparation and opportunity meet ""

1 hour ago, rnetzlof said:

"There will be plenty of time to work through the ordinances so little or nothing would change as far as land use for Sandy residents.  "

If the former city and the former township are to be treated differently after consolidation, then what is the point of consolidating?

I own 200 acres in Sandy township . You own 200 acres in DuBois City.  The ordinance should end up being the same for both properties. DuBois residents might end up getting less restrictive ordinances depending on the size of property that is owned.

Right now Sandy Township has some restrictive ordinances as far as owning farm animals. I doubt if these will change.

Consol will bring lines drawn in the sand , ........ hunting/not , types of sewage disposal  ( a permit nightmare ) , gunnery outdoors , lawn care/property appearance , trailer courts existing and new .....etc etc etc .  

Saying nothing has changed in 20 years and then saying we should keep doing the same thing doesn't make much sense. 

This would be great if it would open up Kiwanis trail to get city water and sewer so that area could be developed. There are lots of health care professionals coming to the area that would be interested in acreage up there.  

Hunting will not be affected. That is a scare tactic that has been used over and over. 

3 hours ago, jt85 said:

I’m not an old timer by any means. And the monopoly is already happening in DuBois. And I don’t feel sandy wants to be part of that. Do I think it would be great for new heads in the seats here in DuBois yes. And I think sandy township supervisors would do a better job because they care about their citizens. When I think of sandy township I think of country and family oriented people. They are the heart of this area and have respect for one another. Here in DuBois is where can we get the next penny for the padded seats on the benches. Or how many light post we can put up. I just don’t see sandy residents going for this at all..

Who cares?   I lived in Georgia for 15 years. They had county everything!   It was nice.  Plus lot less taxes as well!  I would really like to see the county thing happen here.   But if you lived in the corperated cities, you did pay higher taxes most places like DuBois.    

2 hours ago, falsecreek said:

Sandy borders Jeff County in places , Consol may open the door to join this new metropolis with Jeff County and become a county seat !

PA law required both Brookville and Clearfield to be their respective county seats due to be located near center of the counties during formation.

The only way a greater metro DuBois could become a county seat would be for Jefferson and Clearfield counties to merge, which will never happen.

2 hours ago, JimmyPete said:

Who cares?   I lived in Georgia for 15 years. They had county everything!   It was nice.  Plus lot less taxes as well!  I would really like to see the county thing happen here.   But if you lived in the corperated cities, you did pay higher taxes most places like DuBois.    

Well apparently I care...

Hmmmm maybe then they will get rid of that I & I surcharge on the Sandy water bill. Heck they cannot even take care of their water bill anymore.  In any case I do not think it will be good for Sandy residents or property owners in Sandy

Every time the Government IMPOSES new Regulations to Protect Us, we LOSE a Little MORE of our FREEDOMS....

MORE Government = LESS Freedom

33 minutes ago, Gator11 said:

Hmmmm maybe then they will get rid of that I & I surcharge on the Sandy water bill. Heck they cannot even take care of their water bill anymore.  In any case I do not think it will be good for Sandy residents or property owners in Sandy

I&I surcharge hit the 3 million dollar mark last year.

If Consolidation would have happened in 2002 these surcharges would of never happen.

According to news reports the surcharges are over now that new sewer rates have been finalized.

4 hours ago, dubois_15801 said:

PA law required both Brookville and Clearfield to be their respective county seats due to be located near center of the counties during formation.

The only way a greater metro DuBois could become a county seat would be for Jefferson and Clearfield counties to merge, which will never happen.

Just think, the mergers or consolidation of counties would be a step in a way to reduce costs. Brookville and Clearfield wouldn’t like it but new county offices in DuBois  would be great. Keep the courthouses where they are since they are both historic buildings. 

Unfortunately I will be excluded as what I've name myself " first class, white trash, no cash" people think that treasure lake inhabitants think themselves better than others, well I don't! I know I'm white trash & obviously no cash or I'd of left 12 years ago.

It's not my destiny😭

Dobby

8 hours ago, falsecreek said:

.....may open the door to join this new metropolis with Jeff County and become a county seat !

Maybe then we could consider consolidating Clfd, Jeff, Elk and Cameron counties together and have a regional center for Gov't services! HaHa!

15 hours ago, Gator11 said:

I'm a city resident.  What is the "I & I Surcharge"?   Forgive my ignorance. 

"A Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse." - Thomas Jefferson

38 minutes ago, disgruntled said:

I'm a city resident.  What is the "I & I Surcharge"?   Forgive my ignorance. 

"The I&I surcharge is $9.50 per 1,000 gallons and is charged to every Sandy sewage customer in the township because it’s for sewage."

“It’s a result of the (DuBois) city changing the way they bill us,”

"all the monies collected from this surcharge going straight to the city"

The surcharge is over 3 million dollars since it started

http://www.thecourierexpress.com/news/sandy-township-resident-questions-i-i-surcharge/article_37e331af-0423-5b1d-84bf-96303bfd0e69.html

20 minutes ago, Keyser Soze said:

"The I&I surcharge is $9.50 per 1,000 gallons and is charged to every Sandy sewage customer in the township because it’s for sewage."

“It’s a result of the (DuBois) city changing the way they bill us,”

"all the monies collected from this surcharge going straight to the city"

The surcharge is over 3 million dollars since it started

http://www.thecourierexpress.com/news/sandy-township-resident-questions-i-i-surcharge/article_37e331af-0423-5b1d-84bf-96303bfd0e69.html

Picture it like the "service fee" on your monthly water & sewage bill.. just another added tax they can collect "because they can".  When they changed the billing cycle from quarterly to monthly the City "tripled" your service fee from $40/yr to $120/yr. Take that times 2k residence services and you have $160k per year increase in revenue for no good reason.