Sign in to follow this  
mr.d

Thompson's Waterproofing Sprays Recalled As Fire Hazard

SPONSOR:  

Waterproofing sprays recalled as fire hazard

by Auriette Lindsey

8f805a7c-1a92-4eeb-890a-50f2c99f8245-lar
Aerosol cans of Thompson's WaterSeal are recalled. (Photo: CPS

WASHINGTON, D.C. (WEAR-TV) — 852,000 cans of waterproofing sprays are recalled because the cans may leak.

The Thompson's Company is recalling its WaterSeal Aerosol Wood and Masonry Protectors.

According to the notice published by the Consumer Product Safety Commission, the chemicals can react with the can, causing rust to form along the seam. The degradation can allow pinhole leaks to form. The propellant inside the cans is highly flammable. The sealer may also cause property damage, if it leaks.

The company received approximately 18 reports of leaking cans from retailers. No injuries, fires, or property damage have been reported.

The recalled products are:

• Thompson’s WaterSeal Waterproofing Wood Protector Aerosol - Item #: TH.041800-18, UPC: 032053418006
  • Thompson’s WaterSeal Signature Series Aerosol - Item #: TH.091800-18, UPC: 032053918001
  • Thompson’s WaterSeal Waterproofer Plus Wood Protector Aerosol - Item #: TH.011800-18, UPC: 032053118005
  • Thompson’s WaterSeal Waterproofer Plus Masonry Protector Aerosol - Item #: TH.023100-18, UPC: 032053231001

The recalled items were sold at Lowe's, Walmart, Menards, Home Depot and other stores nationwide from February 2014 through September 2019 for about $8.

Customers should take photos of the bottom of any cans they have, then discard them following the hazardous waste requirements in their community.

Contact the Thompson's Company for a refund. The company's toll-free customer service line is 888-304-3769. Calls are answered from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. central time, Monday through Friday. Customers may also email the company or visit the website for more details.

Thompson's says the recall only affects the aerosol versions of the identified products and does not affect any other Thompson's WaterSeal product.

I don't like using products like that.  Makes you wonder what other harm they can do.  When my boy went to scout camp each year for the Polar bear camp, we had to spray their boots and snowpants with waterproofing.  I did it because I was concerned about things getting wet, and it was freezing weather.  However, I wish we didn't have to use it. 

Every day is a gift from God; that's why we call it the "present!"