GoDuBois.com
Cacao

PETA vs Punxsutawney Phil

SPONSOR:  

This seems reasonable.  I'll agree to this if they bring back the good old days of debauchery to Gobbler's Knob.

https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2020/01/28/peta-punxsutawney-phil-retirement-plea-animatronics/

PETA: Retire ‘Long-Suffering’ Punxsutawney Phil, Replace Him With Animatronics

PITTSBURGH (KDKA) — PETA wants some big changes made to a longstanding Groundhog Day tradition.

With Phil’s big day coming up this weekend, the animal rights group is petitioning The Punxsutawney Groundhog Club to retire the famous furry prognosticator.

Instead, PETA says the club should use animatronics with artificial intelligence.

In a press release, PETA Executive Vice President Tracy Reiman said: “Gentle, vulnerable groundhogs are not barometers. PETA is offering the club a win-win situation: Breathe life into a tired tradition and finally do right by a long-suffering animal.”

The letter, addressed directly to the president of The Punxsutawney Groundhog Club, says by adding artificial intelligence, the animatronic “could actually predict the weather.”

The letter cites today’s changing technology as a reason for the change.

The letter reads:

“Today’s young people are born into a world of terabytes, and to them, watching a nocturnal rodent being pulled from a fake hole isn’t even worthy of a text message. This is a generation whose members book rides on their smart phones and will never walk into a bank to deposit a check. Ignoring the nation’s fast-changing demographics might well prove the end of Groundhog Day.”

They also say Phil is being deprived of natural groundhog behaviors, like digging and borrowing, by “being relegated to a library habitat.”

When Phil isn’t appearing on Gobbler’s Knob to predict the weather on Groundhog Day, he lives in an enclosure at the Punxsutawney library.

According to PETA’s letter, “When Phil is dragged out of his hole and held up to flashing lights and crowds, he has no idea what’s happening.”

PETA also tells the club they are ready and willing to make recommendations on sanctuaries where Phil could spend his retirement.

The Punxsutawney Groundhog Club says they will soon be issuing a statement on PETA’s letter.

PETA  ERRORS IN THINKING PHIL IS A NORMAL GROUND HOG.   PHIL IS WELL OVER 100 YEARS OLD, IS NEVER WRONG, AND IS IN NO WAY TO BE CONSIDERED IN THE REALM OF WHAT PETA WOULD CLASSIFY AN "ANIMAL"...………..PHIL IS CLOSER TO SANTA CLAUS AND THE EASTER BUNNY , WHO HAVE ALREADY WON COURT CASES.....

BTW----PHIL KNOWS EXACTLY WHAT IS GOING ON AT GOBBLER'S KNOB---IT IS THE HUMANS WHO HAVE NO REAL CLUE.....

Phil is a lot smarter than he looks. ;) He (who is berated annually) engineered this, from his man cave, to garner much needed support before his yearly prognostication. This is an ongoing effort to maintain his current lifestyle. He's brilliant! :good:

Come on now, Phil has a cushy job that allows him to work one day a year and gets it wrong half the time at that!!!! I think the other groundhogs are jealous. Maybe the one that promotes gambling is trying to eliminate his completion. LOL

I say if he sees his shadow y'all shoot him before he makes it back to his den, barbecue him before a live audience, and future groundhogs will adapt to the change in nature and learn not to run from their shadows. Early Spring every year, then those liberal :censored:s can cry about global warming.

Its a win/win :good:

I heartily agree that Phil has a good life.  When my kids were younger, we would always stop at the "Groundhog Zoo" in Punxsy everytime we went to that town!  It was a must!  Phil's habitat was great, and he also had a mate in there as well.  Looks like he had great shelter, wonderful food and water and was well cared for!  Of course, then we would always have to eat at Punxsy Phil's to complete the journey!

Every day is a gift from God; that's why we call it the "present!"

24 minutes ago, Polo said:

I heartily agree that Phil has a good life.  When my kids were younger, we would always stop at the "Groundhog Zoo" in Punxsy everytime we went to that town!  It was a must!  Phil's habitat was great, and he also had a mate in there as well.  Looks like he had great shelter, wonderful food and water and was well cared for!  Of course, then we would always have to eat at Punxsy Phil's to complete the journey!

What more could a man ask for?? 😋

6 hours ago, Georgie_girl said:

This pops up every year around this time.  That rodent lives a cushy life,  much better than he would in the wild.

The coyotes would eat him and I would shoot him. PETA members, however, are free to live in the wild and take whatever risks that entails. Coyotes have to eat too. 

I don't quite fathom why PETA is concerned.  I've never thought groundhog would be something they would care to make part of their People Eating Tasty Animals menu. 

Because, Gentlemen, I don't trust you...  Gunning Bedford, U.S. Constitutional Convention
The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal. Aristotle
First God created idiots.  That was for practice. Then He created school boards. Mark Twain
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. George Santayana

6 hours ago, bob_rx2000 said:

I don't quite fathom why PETA is concerned.  I've never thought groundhog would be something they would care to make part of their People Eating Tasty Animals menu. 

I heard they are quite tasty but I haven't tried one myself yet! I don't think they would taste bad they have the same diet as a cow.

This is exactly what the group of lawyers from California did to the woman who owns the Farmer's Inn near Brookville.  She's still dealing with them, even though her vets, the Game Commission, the police and her employees have all told that group that what she does was asked of her to shelter injured animals.  She shells out an immense amount of money and time every year for their care.  

The group was looking for an entertaining way of collecting money to travel, collect animals and entertain by harassing roadside zoos.  If they really cared, they would help officials inspect these locations, report problems, and then help take care of the animals.

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who watch them without doing anything"

Albert Einstein

9 hours ago, Lizard said:

I heard they are quite tasty but I haven't tried one myself yet! I don't think they would taste bad they have the same diet as a cow.

Groundhogs do not taste good.  First, it is rare to find someone who knows how to properly prepare & cook them.  I found it to be greasy, tough, and bland.  I dislike lamb and groundhog reminds me of lamb...like a notch lower than lamb.  If they were good, more people would hunt them to eat.

13 hours ago, Cacao said:

Groundhogs do not taste good.  First, it is rare to find someone who knows how to properly prepare & cook them.  I found it to be greasy, tough, and bland.  I dislike lamb and groundhog reminds me of lamb...like a notch lower than lamb.  If they were good, more people would hunt them to eat.

?????

Most people I know DO eat them...…………...try A-1

Shouldn't Peta be worried about animals that are being treated in a cruel manner & are suffering from abuse & beatings & starvation & all forms of neglect? I'm an animal lover & advocate but I eat meat & don't understand Peta.

Dobby