GoDuBois.com
Sign in to follow this  
Pompeii

SPC Seeks Input on Corridor Plan For Route 28

SPONSOR:  

8 hours ago, Titan said:

When they finally commit to establishing a corridor for a 219 four lane connecting Carrolltown, PA to Springfield, NY, I'll be interested.

I can pretty much guarantee that will never happen. Springville, NY maybe.  

9 hours ago, Titan said:

When they finally commit to establishing a corridor for a 219 four lane connecting Carrolltown, PA to Springfield, NY, I'll be interested.

hmmm maybe Carroltown to Bradford since that is where 219 ends up. I would be happy if they went from Dubois to Bradford with a four lane

Kittaning to I 80 would be great also for route 28. I have no problem now but I fear they would move that corridor closer to Clarion area rather than into Brookville of course the old road would still be there to use and with less truck traffic it would be a better drive to Kittaning.

Every time the Government IMPOSES new Regulations to Protect Us, we LOSE a Little MORE of our FREEDOMS....

MORE Government = LESS Freedom

I already submitted my thoughts as a guest for the survey. 

I do travel the Route 28 corridor to Pittsburgh frequently.

Our area is not part of Southwest Pa. so getting 219  concerns on the survey won’t happen.

1 hour ago, Gator11 said:

hmmm maybe Carroltown to Bradford since that is where 219 ends up. I would be happy if they went from Dubois to Bradford with a four lane

Kittaning to I 80 would be great also for route 28. I have no problem now but I fear they would move that corridor closer to Clarion area rather than into Brookville of course the old road would still be there to use and with less truck traffic it would be a better drive to Kittaning.

Yes you maybe right. Probabaly closer  to New Bethelem and Clarion because of Route 66. This was a dream of former Rep Sam Smith. From Brookville to Kittaning.

2 hours ago, Gator11 said:

I disagree.  I think they keep it in Brookville.  Although there is a lot of traffic to Pittsburgh area from Clarion, mainly from the university, I think there's twice as much regular traffic from DuBois.  Ambulances from DuBois probably make up a third of all traffic on that portion of 28.   Brookville is at a geographical advantage because it's between both.  

I wouldn't get excited about it.   It took them 30+ years to extend the 4 lane from the cloverleaf at Kittanning to RT85.   ...all of 2.4 miles.

Even if it becomes a reality, keeping the same path is the priority.  All they have to do is acquire wider Right-of-Way.   There would certainly be some realignments to get by some villages and towns.

Second option would be to turn and follow SR66 north from New Bethlehem.

PennDOT hasn't acquired any new RoW for widening or realignment.

On a side note:  about 20-25 years ago someone scouting for PennDOT was in Munderf(Polk Twp, Jefferson Co) knocking on doors and inquiring if folks would be interested in selling land or signing RoW for a 219 corridor.   My dad's cousin said "no thank you".

23 hours ago, pwacm said:

I can pretty much guarantee that will never happen. Springville, NY maybe.  

Yes .... Springville, NY is what I meant to write as that is where the four lane picks back up.  A corridor from Carrolltown, PA to Springville, NY.

9 hours ago, dubois_15801 said:

I wouldn't get excited about it.   It took them 30+ years to extend the 4 lane from the cloverleaf at Kittanning to RT85.   ...all of 2.4 miles.

Even if it becomes a reality, keeping the same path is the priority.  All they have to do is acquire wider Right-of-Way.   There would certainly be some realignments to get by some villages and towns.

Second option would be to turn and follow SR66 north from New Bethlehem.

PennDOT hasn't acquired any new RoW for widening or realignment.

On a side note:  about 20-25 years ago someone scouting for PennDOT was in Munderf(Polk Twp, Jefferson Co) knocking on doors and inquiring if folks would be interested in selling land or signing RoW for a 219 corridor.   My dad's cousin said "no thank you".

I remember about 45 years ago when they were scouting the Troutville area for a corridor for 219 for a four lane.   I think they were seeking several corridor paths back then ..... each named by letters A thru E.   

Anyone else remember this?

9 hours ago, Titan said:

I remember about 45 years ago when they were scouting the Troutville area for a corridor for 219 for a four lane.   I think they were seeking several corridor paths back then ..... each named by letters A thru E.   

Anyone else remember this?

I just remember the hoopla it made in Munderf.  It was talk-of-the-community for a few weeks 20-25 years ago.

I know landowners today are more resistant to new roadway corridors and even widening existing RoW's than they were decades ago.   I know PennDOT pays better than fair-market value to those who are willing to sign/sell.  Even if they had to do eminent domain, they still pay a little better than fair-market.   I know this firsthand having to redesign telephone facilities for bridge/road projects.

Even trying to get a RoW for a new pole, anchor, buried cable is such a hassle these days for me.   I do what I can to stay in public RoW as much as I can just to avoid that hassle.