GoDuBois.com
Sign in to follow this  
Lupara

23 and You

SPONSOR:  

Anyone take the DNA test for ancestry? My sibling did and the results were very close to what our mom told us. 40% Italian, 25% German, 15% French and the rest miscellaneous. Not sure where Micellania is but I'm sure there are some fine people there. Anyone else care to share or are curious about your ancestry?

I took one from Ancestry.com.   They have changed results to areas about 3 times since, as they have been able to better refine/sample areas.

Started off with mostly Germanic and very little English, to about an even split in the 40% range for both, with smaller portions elsewhere.   The initial result was against known heritage, end result is about right for our known family tree.

25 minutes ago, Lupara said:

Anyone take the DNA test for ancestry? My sibling did and the results were very close to what our mom told us. 40% Italian, 25% German, 15% French and the rest miscellaneous. Not sure where Micellania is but I'm sure there are some fine people there. Anyone else care to share or are curious about your ancestry?

So your a product of WWII🍻

I have been interested in doing one of these DNA things.  I guess there is a lot of companies offering this.

Like Jaman just asked, I would be interested more if they could supply some kind of family tree.  I doubt that would be possible though.

I have been told I am a mix of German Irish and native American. That should scare anybody.

My grandmother on Dad's side said my dad's side of the family came from a city in Europe that was split in half by two countries. Supposedly one of my family came here to be a brewmaster for a Brewery in Bradford PA.

My mother's side claims the Irish and the Native American.

I can somewhat believe the native American part because her family tribe was located in Mix Run PA.

What do you think about your name and DNA being out there in the world?  What do you think the chances are of that info falling into law enforcement hands?  I wouldn't have a problem with that but I know people who does.

THE WINDMILL IS LIBERALISM.

MY QUEST----------REMOVE LIBERALISM FROM THE FACE OF THE EARTH.

ALONG WITH EXPOSING THE TPD FOR WHAT IT REALLY IS.

This just reminded me of something my mom said many years ago. I don't know if it was the German or the French in her but she had quite the sense of humor. Dad did something. I can't remember what it was. Either something goofy or something to tick her off. We're all sitting there having supper. She gestures across the table toward dad and says to us kids..." And this guy. This guy who you think is your father. You know what he did today?":funny4:

1 hour ago, dubois_15801 said:

I took one from Ancestry.com.   They have changed results to areas about 3 times since, as they have been able to better refine/sample areas.

Started off with mostly Germanic and very little English, to about an even split in the 40% range for both, with smaller portions elsewhere.   The initial result was against known heritage, end result is about right for our known family tree.

My other sister did Ancesry.com. They started by suggesting she research her family tree. When it came to the testing, the results came back insufficient. She needed to submit another swab. In the meantime my other sisters results were in. My sister asked if I wanted to do it. I told her I'd wait to see her results. Since my other sister's results were so close to what mom told us I don't feel the need.

I have cousins in Toronto (on my wife's side) of Italian descent. Theirs came back with more Greek than Italian with some Jewish heritage as well.  I'll have to ask what company they used. All pretty interesting.

2 hours ago, Lupara said:

Um, no. I'm not paying money so it's easier for a government entity to find me when I finally snap :arghh:

I don't want to find out that my dad was really Mr McGillicutty from down the street :arghh:

I don't need Maury showing up on my door saying "You ARE the father" :arghh:

I've met my mom and dad, that's about as far up that tree as I need to climb :arghh:

If I found out that my great, great, great, great, great, grand uncle was the Prince of Transnistria it would not change my life one :censored:ing bit :arghh:

23 and My :censored:

1 hour ago, LFG said:

Um, no. I'm not paying money so it's easier for a government entity to find me when I finally snap :arghh:

I don't want to find out that my dad was really Mr McGillicutty from down the street :arghh:

I've met my mom and dad, that's about as far up that tree as I need to climb :arghh:

If I found out that my great, great, great, great, great, grand uncle was the Prince of Transnistria it would not change my life one :censored:ing bit :arghh:

That's funny. Troubling but funny.

I did the Ancestry DNA test about two years ago. I am 60% English, Welsh and northwestern European. I would imagine the European is from the Norman invasions of England. I am also 30% Scottish and Irish and 10% Swedish, I am thinking the Swedish might come from the Viking raids of Scotland and England, I have traced my family tree back to pre- revolutionary war days.

For those of you asking, no Ancestry does not provide you with a family tree...you have to do the detective work yourself. Ancestry does have "professionals" who will work on your tree but they come with a very hefty price tag.

As for the authorities having my DNA, I don'y worry about it....chances are that I will be dead before anything would come of it:lol:

"Any man who can safely drive a car while kissing a pretty girl, simply isn't giving the kiss the attention it deserves"... Albert Einstein

"And how can we win, when fools be king?"

12 hours ago, Lupara said:

That's funny. Troubling but funny.

A lot of that was meant to be funny, but I'm dead serious about DNA testing for government agencies. Why in the world would anyone voluntarily offer their DNA up for public consumption?  I could give a flying :censored:  what dirty part of Europe my ancestors came from :lol:

36 minutes ago, old farm boy said:

I did the Ancestry DNA test about two years ago. I am 60% English, Welsh and northwestern European. I would imagine the European is from the Norman invasions of England. I am also 30% Scottish and Irish and 10% Swedish, I am thinking the Swedish might come from the Viking raids of Scotland and England, I have traced my family tree back to pre- revolutionary war days.

For those of you asking, no Ancestry does not provide you with a family tree...you have to do the detective work yourself. Ancestry does have "professionals" who will work on your tree but they come with a very hefty price tag.

As for the authorities having my DNA, I don'y worry about it....chances are that I will be dead before anything would come of it:lol:

You say that, but right now Jeff Bezos has a pet old farm boy, and thanks to Alexa it sounds just like you 

43 minutes ago, LFG said:

A lot of that was meant to be funny, but I'm dead serious about DNA testing for government agencies. Why in the world would anyone voluntarily offer their DNA up for public consumption?  I could give a flying :censored:  what dirty part of Europe my ancestors came from :lol:

I agree with not wanting them to have my DNA sample.  They know enough about me.  They don't need that, too.  I pretty much know where I came from anyhow.  Scots-Irish, Danish, some German. And while I"m on the subject, I'm not thrilled about the real id we have to get if we want to fly on a plane or go into a federal building.  I will do it in case I need to make an emergency flight due to a close family member not living here.   I'm also a computer person, but I refuse to do online banking or debit card transactions. Too much chance for theft.  Credit cards are fine.  I like to make out a check and have that control.  I don't want companies taking money out of my account every month.  Now that the hospitals are all online with our medical info, it won't be long until the government will have each person's complete info all in one place.  When that happens, look out.  I prefer to defer it and make it difficult for them as long as possible and as Farm Boy says,  "hopefully I'll be deceased before anything comes of it."

Every day is a gift from God; that's why we call it the "present!"

1 hour ago, Polo said:

I agree with not wanting them to have my DNA sample.  They know enough about me.  They don't need that, too.  I pretty much know where I came from anyhow.  Scots-Irish, Danish, some German. And while I"m on the subject, I'm not thrilled about the real id we have to get if we want to fly on a plane or go into a federal building.  I will do it in case I need to make an emergency flight due to a close family member not living here.   I'm also a computer person, but I refuse to do online banking or debit card transactions. Too much chance for theft.  Credit cards are fine.  I like to make out a check and have that control.  I don't want companies taking money out of my account every month.  Now that the hospitals are all online with our medical info, it won't be long until the government will have each person's complete info all in one place.  When that happens, look out.  I prefer to defer it and make it difficult for them as long as possible and as Farm Boy says,  "hopefully I'll be deceased before anything comes of it."

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, really I'm not, and I hate to sound like a former member who wasn't very fond of me, but things keep getting weirder and weirder. My phone is listening to me, every once in a while it thinks I'm talking to it and it will say "What can I help you with today?"

:censored: you Siri, I'm just watching Modern Family, leave me alone! :arghh:

She wants me to allow her to read my fingerprint, store my passwords on a "keychain", store my credit cards so I can just wave her at tellers to pay for stuff. She wants to scan my face so she knows to turn on when I look at her :o

I'm making this sound funny, but it's insane. I don't turn any of that s**t on. :arghh:

It is literally possible for every movement and sound of every second of our day to be tracked, it came out of nowhere, and it only began in 2007. We allowed it to happen, even embraced it, and now our kids feel like they have to update their "friends" every time they have an especially admirable poop :arghh:

Hell, look at me, I'm ranting at a bunch of Yankees I've never met at 10AM. On a Thursday :arghh:

So now, to top it all off, we are going to send some agency a tissue sample so they can not only know who we are, but where we came from, and link us to every d-bag and miscreant who commits a crime forevermore. 

I don't believe for one minute that these genealogy companies send you a pretty little report, throw your sample in the trash, then delete that information. Cold case murders are being solved now, not because the perpetrators have done DNA testing, but because their relatives have.

I can look in the mirror and tell with a fair amount of confidence that I'm mostly English and either Scottish or Irish. My mother's side of the family was white trash, dad's side were hillbillies. They could have been the same on the other side of the pond, they could have been royalty, doesn't make any difference to me

16 hours ago, LFG said:

Hey a good friend of mine done one of those deals a few years later found out he had a sister AND a daughter he never knew about.....

1 hour ago, Polo said:

I have to agree on all your points but it is getting very difficult to remain "out of the loop". If you look on your electric, phone, garbage bills etc you might/will see they are keeping your routing info from your checking account in case  they NEED to access it in the future. Some will let you opt out of that. As for keeping your DNA out of the system, have you had blood work done or had a colonoscopy  etc. Good luck....

"I am the master of my unspoken words and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken"

27 minutes ago, Bub said:

I have to agree on all your points but it is getting very difficult to remain "out of the loop". If you look on your electric, phone, garbage bills etc you might/will see they are keeping your routing info from your checking account in case  they NEED to access it in the future. Some will let you opt out of that. As for keeping your DNA out of the system, have you had blood work done or had a colonoscopy  etc. Good luck....

Oh believe me, I know, but I think this new wave of genealogy testing is a ruse. I'm so wound up with so many prepared arguments because I had this same exact argument with my hippy-dippy mom 2 years ago when she got hooked on Ancestry . com. I put spaces in that purposely not to give those :censored:holes any free advertising :arghh:

She was all excited because she found out that somewhere down the line we had some Duke of BF Somethingorother in England. I said "You couldn't s**t inside until you were 14, doesn't change anything for me."

Yes, I'm like this in real life, too :lol:

36 minutes ago, LFG said:

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, really I'm not, and I hate to sound like a former member who wasn't very fond of me, but things keep getting weirder and weirder. My phone is listening to me, every once in a while it thinks I'm talking to it and it will say "What can I help you with today?"

:censored: you Siri, I'm just watching Modern Family, leave me alone! :arghh:

She wants me to allow her to read my fingerprint, store my passwords on a "keychain", store my credit cards so I can just wave her at tellers to pay for stuff. She wants to scan my face so she knows to turn on when I look at her :o

I'm making this sound funny, but it's insane. I don't turn any of that s**t on. :arghh:

It is literally possible for every movement and sound of every second of our day to be tracked, it came out of nowhere, and it only began in 2007. We allowed it to happen, even embraced it, and now our kids feel like they have to update their "friends" every time they have an especially admirable poop :arghh:

Hell, look at me, I'm ranting at a bunch of Yankees I've never met at 10AM. On a Thursday :arghh:

So now, to top it all off, we are going to send some agency a tissue sample so they can not only know who we are, but where we came from, and link us to every d-bag and miscreant who commits a crime forevermore. 

I don't believe for one minute that these genealogy companies send you a pretty little report, throw your sample in the trash, then delete that information. Cold case murders are being solved now, not because the perpetrators have done DNA testing, but because their relatives have.

I can look in the mirror and tell with a fair amount of confidence that I'm mostly English and either Scottish or Irish. My mother's side of the family was white trash, dad's side were hillbillies. They could have been the same on the other side of the pond, they could have been royalty, doesn't make any difference to me

You left out the microchip that you are going to need in a few years to actually do anything. 

2 hours ago, LFG said:

If the .gov wants info on you, they'll get it anyways.

You'd be surprised what the government already knows about you.

I have to renew my clearances on a regular basis to go into federal facilities for work.   You have to fill out forms listing all sorts of stuff, and if you forget to list something they call you out on it(they already know). 

I was quite shocked when they questioned a couple thing I forgot to include.   ...wasn't even court or legal matters.   And you have to make sure you list ALL of that stuff each time you have to renew.  Some of which requires explanations, which need to match what you said last time.

2 minutes ago, dubois_15801 said:

If the .gov wants info on you, they'll get it anyways.

You'd be surprised what the government already knows about you.

I have to renew my clearances on a regular basis to go into federal facilities for work.   You have to fill out forms listing all sorts of stuff, and if you forget to list something they call you out on it(they already know). 

I was quite shocked when they questioned a couple thing I forgot to include.   ...wasn't even court or legal matters.   And you have to make sure you list ALL of that stuff each time you have to renew.  Some of which requires explanations, which need to match what you said last time.

Oh, I know it's all already there. The only thing missing is their ability to clone us. Tah-dah! 23 and me :arghh:

3 hours ago, LFG said:

You say that, but right now Jeff Bezos has a pet old farm boy, and thanks to Alexa it sounds just like you 

If Bezos has nothing better to do with his time than create an Old Farm Boy pet I actually feel sorry for him:sorry:

"Any man who can safely drive a car while kissing a pretty girl, simply isn't giving the kiss the attention it deserves"... Albert Einstein

"And how can we win, when fools be king?"

My concern with all of these outfits is who they are selling your results to.  And don't have doubt, selling them they are.

Because, Gentlemen, I don't trust you...  Gunning Bedford, U.S. Constitutional Convention
The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal. Aristotle
First God created idiots.  That was for practice. Then He created school boards. Mark Twain
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. George Santayana