• LOW PRICES
Sign in to follow this  
etink3908

Daytona 500 crash

SPONSOR:  

Ryan Newman rushed to hospital after fiery crash late in Daytona 500

8:32 PM ET
  • ESPN News Services

Ryan Newman was taken directly to a local hospital after a fiery crash on the final lap of Monday's Daytona 500.

Newman had surged into the lead on the final lap when runner-up Ryan Blaney's bumper caught the back of his Ford and sent Newman hard right into the wall. His car flipped, rolled, was hit on the driver's side by another car, and finally skidded across the finish line engulfed in flames.

It took several minutes for his car to be rolled back onto its wheels. Newman, 42, was placed in a waiting ambulance and taken directly to Halifax Health Medical Center in Daytona Beach. The damage to his Mustang was extensive; it appeared the entire roll cage designed to protect his head had caved. Newman's condition was not immediately known.

Drivers were stricken with concern, including a rattled Corey LaJoie, the driver who hit Newman's car as it was flipping.

"I got a big push there that last coming to the white," LaJoie said. "I don't know who was pushing me and I kind of stalled out and I don't know who hooked Newman. I was hoping he would kind of bounce off the fence to the left, but he didn't and I hit him ... it was some scary stuff. Don't' get me wrong. My car was on fire. My seat belts grabbed all sorts of areas, but it was a good day for us. I hope Ryan is OK."

Denny Hamlin ended up winning the race, becoming the first driver since Sterling Marlin in 1995 to win consecutive Daytona 500s. However, his celebration in victory lane was subdued.

"I think we take for granted sometimes how safe the cars are and No. 1, we are praying for Ryan,'' said Hamlin, who was unaware of Newman's situation when he initially began his celebration.

It wasn't until Fox Sports told him they would not interview him on the frontstretch after his burnouts that Hamlin learned Newman's incident was bad.

"It's a weird balance of excitement and happiness for yourself, but someone's health and their family is bigger than any win in any sport,`` he said. "We are just hoping for the best.''

Team owner Joe Gibbs apologized after the race for the winning team celebration.

"We didn't know until victory lane,'' Gibbs said. "I know that for a lot of us, participating in sports and being in things where there are some risks, in a way, that's what they get excited about. Racing, we know what can happen, we just dream it doesn't happen. We are all just praying now for the outcome on this.''

Blaney said the way the final lap shook out, with Newman surging ahead of Hamlin, that Blaney locked in behind Newman in a move of brand alliance for Ford.

"We pushed Newman there to the lead and then we got a push from the 11 ... I was committed to just pushing him to the win and having a Ford win it and got the bumpers hooked up wrong,'' he said. "It looked bad.''

NASCAR gave no immediate announcement on Newman's status and officials moved bystanders away from the crash scene.

Newman, in his 19th season in the NASCAR Cup Series, has 18 Cup wins -- including the 2008 Daytona 500 and 2013 Brickyard 400. He was named Rookie of the Year in 2002, beating Jimmie Johnson.

Ryan Newman hospitalized in serious condition after horrific crash at Daytona 500

by KAYLIN JORGE | WZTV Staff

FOX 17 News/Ryan Newman, top center, goes airborne as he is hit by Corey LaJoie (32) on the final lap of the NASCAR Daytona 500 auto race at Daytona International Speedway, Monday, Feb. 17, 2020, in Daytona Beach, Fla. Sunday's race was postponed because of rain. (AP Photo/Terry Renna)
facebook.svgtwitter.svgemail.svg

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (WZTV) -- NASCAR driver Ryan Newman is hospitalized in serious, but non life-threatening, condition following a serious crash during the final lap of the Daytona 500 Monday night.

Newman crashed at the end of the race and his car hit a wall, flipped, rolled over and caught fire as he skidded across the finish line. Newman's driver's side door was hit at full speed during the horrific crash.

NASCAR Executive President Steve O'Donnell said in a statement to reporters that Newman's injuries are considered non-life threatening. He's being treated and undergoing evaluation at Halifax Health Medical Center.

"Ryan Newman is being treated at Halifax Medical Center. He is in serious condition, but doctors have indicated his injuries are not life threatening. We appreciate your thoughts and prayers and ask that you respect the privacy of Ryan and his family during this time. We appreciate your patience and cooperation and we will provide more information as it becomes available. " - NASCAR

Many drivers were rattled by the crash.

"I don't feel good about today....how have we just kept avoiding the inevitable, which is the wrecks," Denny Hamlin, who ended up winning the race, said recalling a conversation earlier in the day.

Hamlin didn't learn about the extent of Newman's crash until after the race, when FOX Sports said they wouldn't be interviewing him after his burnouts.

First a foremost I want to give well wishes and prayers to @RyanJNewman. I had absolutely NO IDEA of the severity of the crash until I got to victory lane. There’s very little communication after the finish and i had already unhooked my radio. It’s not anyone’s fault. 🙏Rocket

Meanwhile, team owner Joe Gibbs said he didn't learn about the severity of the crash until Victory Lane and apologized for his team's celebration.

“We didn’t know until victory lane,” Gibbs said. “I know that for a lot of us, participating in sports and being in things where there are some risks, in a way, that’s what they get excited about. Racing, we know what can happen, we just dream it doesn’t happen. We are all just praying now for the outcome on this.”

Ryan Blaney, who took second at Daytona, said in a statement, "We pushed Newman there to the lead and then we got a push from the 11 ... I was committed to just pushing him to the win and having a Ford win it and got the bumpers hooked up wrong. It looked bad.”

Members of the NASCAR world are tweeting out prayers for Newman.

Can’t pray enough for Ryan Newman. The angle of the car hitting him once he flipped over is frightening. We can only pray to God that he is ok, and all our fears will go away. 🙏🏼

Hamlin told reporters that "everyone should be thinking about Newman right now."

2ruFRYZO_normal.jpg

JUST IN: @NASCARONFOX reporting @RyanJNewman taken to the hospital immediately following crash at #Daytona500

View image on Twitter

After his #Daytona500 win @dennyhamlin said "we should all be thinking about @RyanJNewman right now." 🙏

View image on Twitter

Gibbs said the team is praying for Newman.                                                                                                         SEE VIDEO, TWEETS    ;   https://wjactv.com/news/nation-world/ryan-newman-taken-to-hospital-after-crash-at-daytona-500

Today is the anniversary of the death of #3 at that track.  I read a report that stated that safety measures that came about becuase of his death are likely Newman wasn't more seriously injured. 

I haven't watched much racing since Earnhardt died.  It just was never the same without him and that car on the track.

Prayers for Newman, his family, his teammates, and the other drivers that were involved that are likely blaming themselves.  

"A Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse." - Thomas Jefferson

News report on TV Ryan was awake and talking to family members                                                                                              

NASCAR driver Ryan Newman awake, speaking with doctors after crash at Daytona 500

by Kaylin Jorge

d3d39a0f-8549-469b-8dd4-3f9d16908341-lar
FOX 17 News/Ryan Newman, top center, goes airborne as he is hit by Corey LaJoie (32) on the final lap of the NASCAR Daytona 500 auto race at Daytona International Speedway, Monday, Feb. 17, 2020, in Daytona Beach, Fla. Sunday's race was postponed because of rain. (AP Photo/Terry Renna)

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (WZTV) — NASCAR driver Ryan Newman is awake and talking to doctors after a horrific crash during the final lap at the Daytona 500 on Monday night.

Newman crashed at the end of the race and his car hit a wall, flipped, rolled over and caught fire as he skidded across the finish line. Newman's driver's side door was hit at full speed during the horrific crash.

He was immediately taken by medics from the car and transported to Halifax Medical Center, where NASCAR said he was in serious, but non-life threatening condition as of Monday night.

Now, representatives with Newman's team say he's awake and speaking:

"Ryan Newman remains under the care of doctors at Halifax Medical Center in Daytona Beach, Florida. He is awake and speaking with family and doctors.

Ryan and his family have expressed their appreciation for the concern and heartfelt messages from across the country. They are grateful for the unwavering support of the NASCAR community and beyond." - Roush Fenway Racing

Daytona 500 winner Denny Hamlin didn't learn about the extent of Newman's crash until after the race, when FOX Sports said they wouldn't be interviewing him after his burnouts. Hamlin and owner Joe Gibbs apologized for the team's celebration - not knowing the extent of Newman's crash.

First a foremost I want to give well wishes and prayers to @RyanJNewman. I had absolutely NO IDEA of the severity of the crash until I got to victory lane. There’s very little communication after the finish and i had already unhooked my radio. It’s not anyone’s fault. 🙏Rocket

FOX Sports NASCAR reporter Bob Pockrass said Hamlin went to visit Newman in the hospital before his trip to New York City and spoke with Newman's dad.

Well-wishes and prayers poured in from the NASCAR community and beyond for Newman.

Published
Last Update 12 hours ago

Ryan Newman walks out of hospital days after horrific Daytona 500 crash

NASCAR driver Ryan Newman leaves hospital in Florida following Daytona 500 wreck

Newman crashed on the final lap of the Daytona 500.

Ryan Newman walked out of a hospital Wednesday just days after being injured in a serious crash at the Daytona 500.

A picture showed Newman leaving Halifax Medical Center holding the hands of his two children. His estranged wife, Krissie Newman, subsequently released video of the moment he walked out.

Roush Fenway Racing said earlier in the day that Newman was up and walking around in the hospital. The race team posted a photo of Newman in a hospital gown posing with his daughters.

NASCAR DRIVER COREY LAJOIE DESCRIBES 'WORST-CASE SCENARIO' CRASH THAT INJURED RYAN NEWMAN

Ryan Newman has been treated and released from Halifax Medical Center

View image on Twitter

“The veteran driver is fully alert and walking around Halifax Medical Center. True to his jovial nature, he has also been joking around with staff, friends and family while spending time playing with his two daughters," the team wrote in a statement posted to Twitter.

RYAN NEWMAN CRASH: HOW IT HAPPENED

Newman was injured Monday night when he crashed on the final lap of “The Great American Race.” He received contact from Ryan Blaney down the tri-oval and was sent spinning into the wall. His vehicle went airborne and was hit by Corey LaJoie in the driver's side door.

The car landed on the roof and briefly caught fire before paramedics and emergency personnel came to get Newman out of the wrecked vehicle.

It wasn’t clear what injuries Newman suffered in the crash. Roush Fenway has not said who will drive the No. 6 car for this weekend’s race in Las Vegas.

It is not the first time Newman had been involved in a serious crash in Daytona.

RYAN NEWMAN: WHAT TO KNOW ABOUT THE NASCAR STAR

6yAewGgJ_normal.jpg

Ryan Newman Continues Great Improvement:

View image on Twitter

Ryan Newman Continues Great Improvement

View image on Twitter

He was involved in a crash at the racetrack in 2003. His car flipped several times on the infield grass before coming to a full stop on its roof. He walked away without injuries from that wreck.                                                                                                                           SEE VIDEO REPORT    ;       https://www.foxnews.com/auto/ryan-newman-walks-hospital-daytona-500-crash                                                  

I watched more NASCAR watching replays of that wreck than I have total since Earnhardt died. That was terrifying, and the two hours of no news just left a sickening feeling in my stomach. Gordon looked near tears during the broadcast, all of the driver's and broadcasters had that tone of "Here we go again"....

I was so happy to hear Newman walked out this morning :good:

Newman confirms he suffered head injury in Daytona 500 crash

by JENNA FRYER | AP Auto Racing Writer

31dccaad-2b94-47e8-8c29-f8cf1039f99e-lar
FILE - In this Feb. 9, 2020, file photo, Ryan Newman stands on pit road after his run during NASCAR auto racing qualifying at Daytona International Speedway in Daytona Beach, Fla. Ryan Newman is fully alert, walking around the hospital and joking with staff two days after his frightening crash on the final lap of the Daytona 500. Roush Fenway Racing said Wednesday, Feb. 19, 2020, the 42-year-old driver “continues to show great improvement.” (AP Photo/Terry Renna, File)

LAS VEGAS (AP) — Ryan Newman says he suffered a head injury in his crash on the last lap of the Daytona 500 but did not disclose details, and there's no timetable for his return to NASCAR racing.

“I was fortunate to avoid any internal organ damage or broken bones. I did sustain a head injury for which I’m currently being treated," Newman wrote in a statement. “The doctors have been pleased with my progression over the last few days.”

This is the statement of Ryan Newman as read by Roush Fenway Racing President Steve Newmark: #nascar@NASCARONFOX

View image on Twitter

Roush Fenway Racing gave its first detailed account of the harrowing ordeal that began when Newman, while leading the last lap of the rain-delayed Daytona 500, was involved in a crash that sent him hard into a wall, airborne, hit in the driver side door by another car, then trapped in an upside-down Ford on fire as rescue workers tried to free him from the damaged vehicle.

He was hospitalized Monday night in what Roush officials called serious but not life-threatening condition, but walked out of the Daytona Beach hospital roughly 42 hours later appearing unscathed.

Roush team president Steve Newmark opened a news conference before Sunday's race by reading a lengthy statement from Newman, who apologized at the start for not being at the track. Ross Chastain will drive the No. 6 Ford on Sunday at Las Vegas Motor Speedway as Newman's streak of 649 consecutive starts dating to the 2002 season opener comes to an end.

“I have spoken with Jack Roush and he has assured me that the No. 6 car will be waiting and ready for my return," Newman concluded in his statement. "I’m looking forward to getting behind the wheel and battling for another race win in the Roush Fenway Ford.”

Newmark said it is Newman's intent to race for the 2020 Cup championship this season, and the driver plans to ask NASCAR for an exemption to qualify for the playoffs once he's medically cleared to return.

Newmark also said Newman wants to personally discuss his ordeal and injuries when he returns to the track, which is why the team has been limited in providing updates.                                                    https://wjactv.com/news/nation-world/newman-confirms-he-suffered-head-injury-in-daytona-500-crash