• LOW PRICES
  • LOW PRICES
  • LOW PRICES
Sign in to follow this  
mr.d

Dollar Stores: Local Business Killer Or Convenient Staple

SPONSOR:  

You are here: Home » News Local News

Dollar Stores: Local Business Killer or Convenient Staple?

February 24, 2020 12:50 am·
Author: Aly Delp

dollar-general.jpgJEFFERSON CO., Pa. (EYT) – As dollar chains continue to expand their reach, the discussion over whether the stores enhance or undermine communities is ongoing.

Well-known chain retailers like Dollar General and Dollar Tree, which also bought out Family Dollar four years ago, have continued to expand rapidly in recent years, operating a total of over 30,000 stores across the nation.

These stores have become well-known for opening stores in rural and low-income areas.

David Perdue, Dollar General’s former CEO in the mid-2000s, told The Wall Street Journal that the business’s strategy was to go where Walmart wasn’t going, from suburban areas to rural ones.

This strategy has led to major growth in recent years, with the chain opening 900 or more stores in 2018 and 2019.

While the chains argue they benefit local communities by offering convenience and low prices, opponents say they discourage supermarkets from opening and threaten existing small businesses.

In the local community, opinions on the Dollar General chain and similar stores seem to be mostly positive.

“I think dollar stores, especially the Dollar General, is great for any area. One of many examples is it is close and convenient for almost anything,” Melinda Reed stated.

Mary Martin noted, “Small communities are so blessed to have them. Big Run, Reynoldsville, Sykesville. The elderly can get everything but fruit at these local stores.”

Jan Gabler added that she “love(s) Dollar General. Brookville doesn’t have a Walmart (thank goodness) and Giant Eagle is entirely too expensive, and they don’t carry much.”

However, some locals have issues with the chains.

“Some places are well put, others are on overkill locations,” Patricia Newcome noted.

Debbie Goldinger stated that she thinks “they are overpriced.”

Jamie Lefever, Executive Director for the Jefferson County Development Council, said their office hasn’t had any complaints about Dollar General or any of the similar chains in the region.

“I don’t really have opinion either way. I think it aims to serve a certain clientele, but everyone generally goes there,” Lefever said.

“I really haven’t heard or seen anyone in this area complaining about them coming into small towns, and I’m not aware of anyone coming to our department to complain or offer any opinion about it, and I know we have them here in Jefferson County. They’re everywhere,” Lefever added.

While the chains have a lot of support in our local area, in other parts of the nation, those who stand opposed to the retailers’ business models have started fighting back.

City councils in Birmingham, Alabama; Oklahoma City, Oklahoma; Tulsa, Oklahoma; and Mesquite, Texas, have all passed legislation limiting the opening of new stores.

ExploreJeffersonPA.com reached out to the Dollar General Corporation; however, representatives of the company did not immediately respond to requests for comment.                                                               https://www.explorejeffersonpa.com/feature-dollar-stores-local-business-killer-or-convenient-staple/

They serve a purpose for many people who cannot travel far for dry goods.  Unfortunately most of their products come from outside of the US, but some of it may not even be made here. What's the alternative?

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who watch them without doing anything"

Albert Einstein

Their pretty handy.

I predict a huge fail sooner or later.

Are they surviving on sales or investors?

Another CEO failure.

THE WINDMILL IS LIBERALISM.

MY QUEST----------REMOVE LIBERALISM FROM THE FACE OF THE EARTH.

ALONG WITH EXPOSING THE TPD FOR WHAT IT REALLY IS.

I don't think WalMart, etc..., like being beat at their own game. This is the third story I have heard in the last month or so trying to cast the dollar stores in a bad light. In the other two, one blamed obesity on DG, the other said they were preying on minorities and low income neighborhoods.

I love DG, and what shocks me is they almost always have what I am looking for

"I love DG, and what shocks me is they almost always have what I am looking for "

Just wait until you see what they want for a 5 pound bag of Chupacabra Chow. "Shocked" won't begin to cover it. You'll need an emotional support chupacabra for sure. You'll wish you had a capybara then.

39 minutes ago, rnetzlof said:

"I love DG, and what shocks me is they almost always have what I am looking for "

Just wait until you see what they want for a 5 pound bag of Chupacabra Chow. "Shocked" won't begin to cover it. You'll need an emotional support chupacabra for sure. You'll wish you had a capybara then.

I'm expecting quite a food bill, but I did pick up this nifty St. Patty's Day outfit for $7.99

a.aaa-Dog-dressed-up-for-christmas.jpg

11 hours ago, sierra mist said:

Falls Creek Needs one !!!!

I totally agree.  Since Willars closed, its a trip into DuBois for odds and ends.  I heard once that they were looking at coming to Falls Creek and didn't for some reason.  Not sure.  Anyhow, I go to Dollar General for a lot of things I don't like spending big money on.  Mostly, greeting cards, wrapping paper, ribbons, gift bags, etc.  They also have a lot of name brand canned goods, candy, and toiletries that help with the household budget.

Every day is a gift from God; that's why we call it the "present!"

Dollar stores are everywhere. That's a problem for poor Americans

By Nathaniel Meyersohn, CNN Business

Updated 9:43 AM ET, Fri July 19, 2019

New York (CNN Business)As dollar stores sweep across America, they are facing growing scrutiny from opponents who argue that discount chains stifle local competition and limit poor communities' access to healthy food.

Dollar stores have never been more popular. Yet a wave of cities and towns have passed laws curbing the expansion of Dollar General (DG) and Dollar Tree (DLTR), which bought Family Dollar in 2015. The companies are the two largest dollar store operators in the country, combining for more than 30,000 stores throughout the United States, up from under 20,000 a decade ago. By comparison, Walmart (WMT), America's largest retailer, has 4,700 US stores.
Advocates of tighter controls on dollar stores say the big chains intentionally cluster multiple stores in low-income areas. That strategy discourages supermarkets from opening and it threatens existing mom-and-pop grocers, critics say.
"Our core customer continues to struggle," Dollar General's CEO said last year. Dollar General has more than 15,000 stores in the United States.

"Our core customer continues to struggle," Dollar General's CEO said last year. Dollar General has more than 15,000 stores in the United States.
"The business model for these stores is built on saturation," said Julia McCarthy, senior policy associate at the nonprofit Center for Science in the Public Interest and a critic of dollar stores. "When you have so many dollar stores in one neighborhood, there's no incentive for a full-service grocery store to come in."
Opponents also express concerns that dollar stores don't offer fresh produce. Dollar General and its dollar store rivals mostly sell snacks, drinks, canned foods and vegetables, household supplies and personal care products at rock-bottom prices.

18 minutes ago, _Rusty_ said:

Dollar stores are everywhere. That's a problem for poor Americans

By Nathaniel Meyersohn, CNN Business

Updated 9:43 AM ET, Fri July 19, 2019

New York (CNN Business)As dollar stores sweep across America, they are facing growing scrutiny from opponents who argue that discount chains stifle local competition and limit poor communities' access to healthy food.

Dollar stores have never been more popular. Yet a wave of cities and towns have passed laws curbing the expansion of Dollar General (DG) and Dollar Tree (DLTR), which bought Family Dollar in 2015. The companies are the two largest dollar store operators in the country, combining for more than 30,000 stores throughout the United States, up from under 20,000 a decade ago. By comparison, Walmart (WMT), America's largest retailer, has 4,700 US stores.
Advocates of tighter controls on dollar stores say the big chains intentionally cluster multiple stores in low-income areas. That strategy discourages supermarkets from opening and it threatens existing mom-and-pop grocers, critics say.

"The business model for these stores is built on saturation," said Julia McCarthy, senior policy associate at the nonprofit Center for Science in the Public Interest and a critic of dollar stores. "When you have so many dollar stores in one neighborhood, there's no incentive for a full-service grocery store to come in."
Opponents also express concerns that dollar stores don't offer fresh produce. Dollar General and its dollar store rivals mostly sell snacks, drinks, canned foods and vegetables, household supplies and personal care products at rock-bottom prices.

That's the exact article I was talking about. I'm sure we would all love to be able to afford to drive to Whole Foods and pay for all those fresh veggies. Better yet, since Amazon bought Whole Foods just pay them to bring those veggies straight to us. I'm sure Jeff Bezos would love that, too.

The people grazing on Cheetos from the dollar store would also be grazing on Cheetos from the grocery store, they wouldn't suddenly switch to organic kale just because it was available 

I'm pretty sure this was nearly everyone's complaint about the almighty WM years ago. 

I just wish they had some competition in this area.  I hate not having options. 

"A Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse." - Thomas Jefferson

Dollar General and Family Dollar opening so many locations will reach a saturation point where the economic laws of diminishing returns will set in.  Example:  Subway Sandwiches. 

1) "Take off is optional....landing is mandatory"

2)  The secret to a long life is you try not to shorten it.

7 hours ago, spaghettiwasted said:

I'd rather see Falls Creek have a locally owned variety shop or grocery store. Would be nice if someone (not DG) bought the old Willar's.

A problem Willars had was with their supplier.  They needed smaller quantities of items brought in and it just wasn't feasible for the supplier.  Apparently, there wasn't another practical option.

Every day is a gift from God; that's why we call it the "present!"

I remember the "Olive Ave" neighborhood stores... Jake Graham's on Pifer, Art Grahams on Olive, Cottage Hill market on Church, and Ball's store on Highland... all open and within walking/ bike distance of the house and all providing some level of service to the neighborhood.

On 2/26/2020 at 1:04 PM, Basset3 said:

Dollar General and Family Dollar opening so many locations will reach a saturation point where the economic laws of diminishing returns will set in.  Example:  Subway Sandwiches. 

TA DAH

THE WINDMILL IS LIBERALISM.

MY QUEST----------REMOVE LIBERALISM FROM THE FACE OF THE EARTH.

ALONG WITH EXPOSING THE TPD FOR WHAT IT REALLY IS.

On 2/26/2020 at 2:04 PM, Basset3 said:

It's already happening.

My work takes me all over the country and I've seen more than a few "Dollar" stores shut down.

Heck on route 119 near Home, PA they built a "Dollar" store where Andy's Market was and I bet it wasn't open a year before it closed. Then they built  Dollar Store right up the road near Marion Center.

I stop at the Penfield Dollar General a few times per week on my way home from St Marys.  It's kept nice and clean. Some Dollar Generals are nasty  (like the one in Johnstown that I've stopped in a time or two). 

I'd much rather pay a little extra at DG as opposed to having to drive past Treasure Lake (home) and go to Walmart or Aldi's. 

A lot of times, DG has items on sale better than Walmart, like 2 liters of soda or cereals.