Jump to content
GoDuBois.com
Sign in to follow this  
mr.d

NASCAR, Indycar Cancel Upcoming Races Due To Coronavirus

Recommended Posts

Published

NASCAR, IndyCar cancel upcoming races due to coronavirus

Everything you need to know about coronavirus testing, symptoms

Dr. Marc Siegel dives into everything we know so far about COVID-19 on 'Fox & Friends.'

NASCAR and IndyCar both reversed course Friday and pulled the plug on racing this weekend, with IndyCar also suspending its season through the end of April due to concerns over the COVID-19 pandemic.

 

BNASCAR.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

(AP)

NASCAR called off Sunday's race at Atlanta Motor Speedway and next weekend's events at Homestead-Miami Speedway. Both events were already scheduled to be run without spectators.

 

Seven-time NASCAR champion Jimmie Johnson supported the move.

“We want to race as much as you want us to race but this is the right decision,” Johnson wrote on Twitter. “This is so much bigger than sports right now and the health and safety of our fans, industry members and the overall public is top priority.”

 

BINDY.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

(AP)

IndyCar was scheduled to open its season Sunday on the streets of downtown St. Petersburg without fans. Formula One also canceled its season opening race in Australia, leaving the first full weekend of global motorsports without a major event.

MORE RACING NEWS FROM FOX NEWS AUTOS

“After careful consideration, including regular communication with our event promoters, health officials, and the city administrations in our respective race markets regarding COVID-19, we have made the decision to cancel all events through April,” IndyCar said. “(The) safety of our fans, participants, staff, partners, and media will always remain our top priority.”

IndyCar driver Alexander Rossi issued a statement in which he called the decision “a bummer.”

“I share in the disappointment with all the fans and pro athletes across the globe,” Rossi said. “But let’s work through this together, be good (intelligent) humans, and come back to have some fun in a couple months.”

Defending IndyCar series champion Josef Newgarden received word of the cancellation standing in the lobby of his hotel just a few feet from the entrance to the street course.

“Crazy times we are living in, man. Crazy times,” Newgarden said.

INTERVIEW: INDYCAR CHAMPION JOSEF NEWGARDEN IS READY TO REPEAT FOR TEAM PENSKE

NASCAR said the decision to postpone the next two weeks “is in the best interest of the safety and well-being of our fans, competitors, officials and everyone associated with our sport.”

As college and professional sports leagues canceled events or postponed their seasons one by one, NASCAR, IndyCar and F1 were among the very few organizations planning to press ahead this weekend. Finally, even the prospect of staging races without fans was deemed to be unsafe.

There was no announcement of any plans to reschedule the races.

For most people, the new coronavirus causes only mild or moderate symptoms, such as fever and cough. For some, especially older adults and people with existing health problems, it can cause more severe illness, including pneumonia. The vast majority of people recover from the new virus within a few weeks.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        https://www.foxnews.com/auto/nascar-indycar-cancel-upcoming-races-coronavirus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Published

NASCAR season postponed through May 3 due to coronavirus concerns

Sports world shuts down

MLB, NBA, NCAA, NHL suspend or cancel.

NASCAR is postponing all of its activities and events through May 3, following the cancelation of the Atlanta and Homestead-Miami races due to efforts to help contain the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.

 

NASCAR is suspending races due to the ongoing threat of the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.

NASCAR is suspending races due to the ongoing threat of the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak. (Chris Graythen/Getty Images, File)

"We appreciate the patience of our fans and we look forward to returning to the race track. We intend to hold all 36 races this season, with future rescheduling soon to be determined as we continue to monitor this situation closely with public health officials and medical experts. What is important now transcends the world of sports and our focus is on everyone’s safety and well-being as we navigate this challenging time together,” the series said in a media release.

Five NASCAR Cup races will be affected, along with lower-tier Xfinity and Truck series races, and the earliest the series will resume will be for the STP 500 at Martinsville Speedway in Virginia.

This past Sunday, several Cup regulars participated in a sim race held by iRacing called the Replacements 100 that was broadcast live on Twitch and won by Team Penske spotter Josh Williams.

The IndyCar series also has postponed its schedule at least through April, but officials said they're aiming to get back on track in Indianapolis in time for the Indy 500 in late-May.                                                                                                                                                          https://www.foxnews.com/auto/nascar-season-postponed-may-coronavirus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  


×
×
  • Create New...