GoDuBois.com
Dobby

Fine Wine & Spirits closing will cause trouble

SPONSOR:  

1 hour ago, LFG said:

I just really don't see a total shutdown of alcohol sales. Seems this country tried that once before

The closure of the State Stores in PA is stupid for sure.   We're still allowed to buy beers/wines to go from bars/restaurants/taverns/gas stations/grocery stores/distributors/etc.

If you're not familiar with the term "state store", it is basically PA's version of an ABC store.   PA State is the sole seller of liquors and cordials.   Although, whisky, shine, and cordial manufacturers are allowed to sell their own products from their own stores. 

Beer/malt beverages can be sold by the manufacturer from their own stores.  But most go through distributors, which in turn supply bars/grocery stores/taverns/etc.    Distributors can also sell directly to the public without the quantity limits that are imposed on a per-sale purchase at other places.  (you can only buy a 12pk or two 6-packs or so many singles of beer/malt at a time - based on fluid ounces.   But you can walk back in and do it again, and again)

When PA opened up the laws a bit just a few years ago, they stopped being the sole seller of wines.  Now they can be sold where beer/malts are sold.  Before, you could only buy it at the State Stores or wine manufacturers own stores.

14 minutes ago, dubois_15801 said:

The closure of the State Stores in PA is stupid for sure.   We're still allowed to buy beers/wines to go from bars/restaurants/taverns/gas stations/grocery stores/distributors/etc.

If you're not familiar with the term "state store", it is basically PA's version of an ABC store.   PA State is the sole seller of liquors and cordials.   Although, whisky, shine, and cordial manufacturers are allowed to sell their own products from their own stores. 

Beer/malt beverages can be sold by the manufacturer from their own stores.  But most go through distributors, which in turn supply bars/grocery stores/taverns/etc.    Distributors can also sell directly to the public without the quantity limits that are imposed on a per-sale purchase at other places.  (you can only buy a 12pk or two 6-packs or so many singles of beer/malt at a time - based on fluid ounces.   But you can walk back in and do it again, and again)

When PA opened up the laws a bit just a few years ago, they stopped being the sole seller of wines.  Now they can be sold where beer/malts are sold.  Before, you could only buy it at the State Stores or wine manufacturers own stores.

I'll be honest, I had to Google that yesterday when I kept reading about the state owned liquor stores. Turns out SC was that way until the 60s. It seemed odd to me at first, but even with private ownership the state still controls the licensing.

Wolf still sucks, though :lol:

Could be worse, at least he doesn't look like he just stepped off the plantation porch to get the "boys" back to work

PA is still pretty strict to alcohol related things compared to many of the states.   Some states' hard alcohol sales are similar though, maybe not a state owned store - but confined to specific type of stores.

We've come a long ways though in the past 10 years.   Before you could only buy beer/malts at bars and "6pk shops", which still today have a carry-out limit.   And from distributors, no limit.  Now, if a grocery store or gas station is able to buy one of the limited number of licenses in the state, they too can sell.   Gas stations have to ring you up at a register that does NOT have gas/fuel sales processed through.    Both of which must also have X number of seats for onsite consumption.

PA technically doesn't have bars.  We have restaurants that are licensed to sell for consumption on site.  To be able to have such a license you must serve food, and a certain percentage of your gross profits must come from food sales.   Then to serve alcohol on Sundays you have to file for an additional license which you must serve food and/or have rooms to rent(there are some exemptions).

Then there are some special event licenses that are only good for a day or so for the duration of the event.  Example:  A fire department holds a festival and beer will be sold at said festival.  (volunteer fire departments are one of our bigger contributors to social events because they can generate some needed funding from them)

I wonder if PA will help out with the virus by suspending the booze tax that was put in place to pay for the Johnstown flood.

THE WINDMILL IS LIBERALISM.

MY QUEST----------REMOVE LIBERALISM FROM THE FACE OF THE EARTH.

ALONG WITH EXPOSING THE TPD FOR WHAT IT REALLY IS.

6 minutes ago, fedup said:

I wonder if PA will help out with the virus by suspending the booze tax that was put in place to pay for the Johnstown flood.

Unlikely.  If anything it would give them justification to raise it to help make up for lost revenue during the closure.

Technically we're still paying on a tax applied to telephone service for the Spanish-American War costs, even though that was long since paid off.   They simply renamed the tax.

1 minute ago, dubois_15801 said:

Unlikely.  If anything it would give them justification to raise it to help make up for lost revenue during the closure.

Technically we're still paying on a tax applied to telephone service for the Spanish-American War costs, even though that was long since paid off.   They simply renamed the tax.

I just threw that in there to remind people, just like you just did, that once the government puts something in place it stays. So people need to be paying attention to what their asking for.

9 minutes ago, dubois_15801 said:

Very true.  Government never wants to lower/stop a tax, nor give up powers they have acquired.

They retain such in hopes that you get acclimated to it, then goes for a little bit more later.  A death by a thousand cuts is the approach.

Kinda funny you mentioned that. I just heard a guy on the radio talking about what would happen if the government let you have your whole paycheck without any government deductions.  A whole new hysteria?

1 hour ago, dubois_15801 said:

PA is still pretty strict to alcohol related things compared to many of the states.   Some states' hard alcohol sales are similar though, maybe not a state owned store - but confined to specific type of stores.

We've come a long ways though in the past 10 years.   Before you could only buy beer/malts at bars and "6pk shops", which still today have a carry-out limit.   And from distributors, no limit.  Now, if a grocery store or gas station is able to buy one of the limited number of licenses in the state, they too can sell.   Gas stations have to ring you up at a register that does NOT have gas/fuel sales processed through.    Both of which must also have X number of seats for onsite consumption.

PA technically doesn't have bars.  We have restaurants that are licensed to sell for consumption on site.  To be able to have such a license you must serve food, and a certain percentage of your gross profits must come from food sales.   Then to serve alcohol on Sundays you have to file for an additional license which you must serve food and/or have rooms to rent(there are some exemptions).

Then there are some special event licenses that are only good for a day or so for the duration of the event.  Example:  A fire department holds a festival and beer will be sold at said festival.  (volunteer fire departments are one of our bigger contributors to social events because they can generate some needed funding from them)

Wow. There are 3 breweries within 7 miles of my house. I usually buy the refillable growlers :lol:

So, no kegs? Or are you just limited on where you can purchase them?

11 minutes ago, LFG said:

Wow. There are 3 breweries within 7 miles of my house. I usually buy the refillable growlers :lol:

So, no kegs? Or are you just limited on where you can purchase them?

We can buy/rent kegs of a few different sizes at distributors.   

Purchased kegs you exchange for cost of beer.   

Rentals you put a deposit down for keg and buy the beer.

Basically like propane tanks.

They also sell/lease CO2 tanks, taps, etc.

Typically you only see such at parties or very dedicated beer drinkers at home.   I don't drink as much as I used to, and certainly not as much as I would like to.   But even so, I have been considering making a kegerator if I can find a brew I like enough to buy a keg of.   (I'm a bit of a beer snob, only liking certain IPA, porters, and stouts)

6 minutes ago, dubois_15801 said:

We can buy/rent kegs of a few different sizes at distributors.   

Purchased kegs you exchange for cost of beer.   

Rentals you put a deposit down for keg and buy the beer.

Basically like propane tanks.

They also sell/lease CO2 tanks, taps, etc.

Typically you only see such at parties or very dedicated beer drinkers at home.   I don't drink as much as I used to, and certainly not as much as I would like to.   But even so, I have been considering making a kegerator if I can find a brew I like enough to buy a keg of.   (I'm a bit of a beer snob, only liking certain IPA, porters, and stouts)

You're more man than I am, those are all the beers I hate :lol:

I only like cartain bocks and blondes :cheer: 

1 hour ago, fedup said:

The 1936 Johnstown Flood, I may add.

1) "Take off is optional....landing is mandatory"

2)  The secret to a long life is you try not to shorten it.

Just now, LFG said:

You're more man than I am, those are all the beers I hate :lol:

I only like cartain bocks and blondes :cheer: 

Don't get me wrong, I'll partake in any beer if there aren't options.   I have some kin and friends that drink swill beer, and I certainly won't pass one up if offered. lol

My uncle only gets the cheapo light beers due to his budget.  But after making hay, they sure taste good.  :)

7 minutes ago, dubois_15801 said:

Don't get me wrong, I'll partake in any beer if there aren't options.   I have some kin and friends that drink swill beer, and I certainly won't pass one up if offered. lol

My uncle only gets the cheapo light beers due to his budget.  But after making hay, they sure taste good.  :)

I like craft beer, but the kind of craft beer that college girls drink. 

13 minutes ago, Basset3 said:

The 1936 Johnstown Flood, I may add.

YEP

That was caused by a very rich important person from Pittsburgh.

3 minutes ago, rnetzlof said:

I think you're confusing the 1936 flood with the 1896 flood.

Very possible. I ain't good at dates. But I know the booze tax came about from a flood.

I also am pretty sure that Johnstown suffered a flood because a very rich guy from Pittsburgh had the top of the dam widened to handle his new buggy which lowered the height of the dam.

That would have been the 1896 flood. However, a committee of engineers appointed by the General Assembly reported that the main problem was that the spillway, as originally designed and built, simply was not adequate to carry off the volume of water that descended on the reservoir that day. In short, it was just good luck that the dam had lasted as long as it did.

6 hours ago, fedup said:

Kinda funny you mentioned that. I just heard a guy on the radio talking about what would happen if the government let you have your whole paycheck without any government deductions.  A whole new hysteria?

No government deductions, no government services.  Yep, a whole new hysteria!

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who watch them without doing anything"

Albert Einstein