GoDuBois.com

I was sharing with my daughter when I was a child I remember proudly marching up to the counter in Burger King (DuBois) and without any shame proclaimed in a loud voice …"the whopper beat the big mac!"  My reward was a free whopper with my purchase!  HAHA I also remember the "Where's the beef" commercial with the older ladies in the car!  My daughter just laughed at me.  Oh to be a kid again with my only worry being getting my free whopper!! 

Do not remember Herb.. I remember the Bug Mac Filet of Fish Quarter Pounder French Fries jingle.. And memories of fishing at the Tannery with my Grandpa running to little store across from fire hall (Herb & Toms?) buying loaf of bread & bologna for our lunch a couple times...and riding in the back of my dad's truck sitting on wheel well hair blowing in the wind ..a lot of good memories for sure!

10 hours ago, LFG said:

I remember back when I was a kid and I thought all Yankees were a bunch of uppity snobs and all the rednecks lived down here. It was a simpler time...

I think every town has it's own band of rednecks ...I am sure most are my relatives!  I ok with that!

I had misspoken. Where's Herb was a TV commercial that BK had done in the mid 80's about a guy that had never eaten there and they were looking for him so he could try their whopper.

I remember lots of small neighborhood markets in our area. Was a lot of fun growing up in the DuBois area in the 60's and 70's.

"" The measure of success is where preparation and opportunity meet ""

Think the 60s and 70s children and maybe some of the 80s had some of the best childhood experiences and music. But I'm sure others will have their own thoughts on this. All in the eye of beholder so to say. :)

Oh what I would give to go back 30 years and play kickball with the neighborhood kids, build cabins in the woods and catch crayfish in the stream that ran along our kickball field. Then end the day with more candy then we needed because we all got a quarter while visiting Mrs. Godek from down the street and walked to the candy store. And we ate that candy sitting at the corner stop sign until the street lights came on and we had to go in. Ahhhhh

43 minutes ago, katie77 said:

Oh what I would give to go back 30 years and play kickball with the neighborhood kids, build cabins in the woods and catch crayfish in the stream that ran along our kickball field. Then end the day with more candy then we needed because we all got a quarter while visiting Mrs. Godek from down the street and walked to the candy store. And we ate that candy sitting at the corner stop sign until the street lights came on and we had to go in. Ahhhhh

That triggered a memory of mine, there was an old man in our neighborhood that I only knew as The Candy Man. We could run up and knock on his door and he would hand out hard candies to all the kids.

It feels weird even typing that now, I'm sure some parent would launch a FB campaign to have him investigated

16 hours ago, LFG said:

I remember back when I was a kid and I thought all Yankees were a bunch of uppity snobs and all the rednecks lived down here. It was a simpler time...

Nope! Back in the early 70's my dad was at a bar discussing hunting with a fellow he didn't know all that well. He was saying how much we like venison. ( It was about two months before deer season.) The next morning we woke up to find a deer hanging from the NEIGHBOR's tree...in the middle of town with my dad's name on it! Hahaha He didn't usually the "big words" in his swearing streaks but I heard them all that morning! 

A time when we left after breakfast & never came home till almost dark. We were in the woods, playing or swimming in the creek, riding our bikes, fishing, hiking up the mt in back of us which was the Caledonia Pike, walking the rr tracks, building treehouses, or maybe all of that in a day. Sometimes the Huff kids & us went camping overnight. We were always doing stuff, & I was the only girl in the group of 5.

pick up sticks, barrel full of monkey's, silly putty, H O race tracks, models(cars, planes)

To achieve the title of old and wise, you must first be young and dumb :P

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak. :P

Kick the can, playing till street lights came on was no big deal. Jumping on your bike riding wherever, not  in today's world. In the winter you didn't care if snow got into your boots or gloves....but now 🙄OMG getting cold is so different now. 

My mother used to be happy she didn’t have to make beds or wash the sheets because we pretty much didn’t sleep in our beds in the summer. We had a breezeway style porch where we slept out on our sleeping bags. 

I don’t remember any mosquitoes or ticks back in the mid 60’s either.

drinking water from any neighbors hose and not getting yelled at for it    no bottled water, what a stupid idea...who would buy a bottle of water

To achieve the title of old and wise, you must first be young and dumb :P

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak. :P