GoDuBois.com
Cacao

Penn Highlands Layoff 600 Employees

SPONSOR:  

14 hours ago, Cacao said:

Yes, hype.  Very little of the news contains actual information.  Consistent information.  Instead, a majority of it is scare tactics loaded with opinionated hype.  

Is there such thing as a pleasant death?  Isn't every death a "horrible death"?  Mortality rate of life is 100%.

no----many deaths are not "horrible" by comparison. There are quick, painless deaths, as well as deaths that are surrounded by family, etc, etc..... too numerous to mention, but we could argue this forever.....

I think you need to watch/read better news programs/info.  There are lots of great news sources that abide by excellent standards (not perfect, just excellent)

1 hour ago, Lizard said:

I amazing that a post about PH layoff turns into comments about the café, is that the best thing about the place?

The Snack Bars were so good that people would stop in off of the street for lunch.  It was cozy and you could talk to the volunteers while eating.  Greatest food all round.  I have always missed them. 

The cafeterias were nice, but they didn't compare food wise or comfort wise to the Snack Bars.  It will be nice to see the new one!

What's better than a comfy place to sit, eat and have coffee?  I don't care for the Coffee Shop because it's so public.

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who watch them without doing anything"

Albert Einstein

4 minutes ago, conservativeman633 said:

no----many deaths are not "horrible" by comparison. There are quick, painless deaths, as well as deaths that are surrounded by family, etc, etc..... too numerous to mention, but we could argue this forever.....

I think you need to watch/read better news programs/info.  There are lots of great news sources that abide by excellent standards (not perfect, just excellent)

True about the news sources.  I've watched most of the White House Briefings, and although they are LONG, you cannot get the same information from any NEWS Service!  I've listened to several and it's like they attended a different meeting.  If you watch the Briefings, you will soon see how it gets twisted. Some of it is outright lies and some of it is twisted out of proportion, but you're not getting the true news or the real gist of it.  No wonder people are so frustrated.

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who watch them without doing anything"

Albert Einstein

1 hour ago, WMJ77 said:

the brickwork looks nice:popcorn:

Were the bricks heavier or your arm! :P

Albert Einstein

16 hours ago, Lizard said:

The last time i remember using Dubois Penn Highlands ER the wait times were horrible and now they will have even fewer employees. This place can't decide what their doing and they seem to be under constant construction and to think they want to be a Trauma Center makes me laugh a little bit. 

In the last year I have noted a huge improvement in attitude and services.  They are under constant construction to bring the area new services!  The lay off of employees is only temporary till they get the elective and regular services scheduled again. Getting them all back may take a while.

Albert Einstein

Guest Kevin
23 hours ago, Tinyus said:

🤔 you got me stumped....do you remember Dr. name? Now you got me thinking😄

It was Dr. Ungar, a radiologist at Maple Ave IIRC. they were mentioned in a Dec 2018 Courier article about the history of Maple Ave. They were served at Maple's snack bar, and after the merger to West's until the snack bars were phased out.

I liked them, but I cant recall what was on them. 

Wait times in ed are awful because a lot of people go there instead of making an appointment with their Dr. Broken bone? Ed. Persistent cough? Qcare. Little Timmy needs his shots? Dr appt. The staff are only human and can only do so much.

The new cafeteria is gorgeous and they even have a veggie burger option. The touch screen ordering is neat too, you can scan your drink, order something and pay for all of it.

I'd like to see a break down of who got furloughed, how many from each department and if any of the higher ups did.

:dancer: You must be the change you wish to see in the world- Ghandi :dancer:

We've always had good PH ER experiences. Moved quickly through, thorough testing. Nothing but good things to say.

I was admitted through er in late March and staff was wonderful during my stay. 

They were getting ready for covid patients.  I'm glad we haven't gotten a high number yet.  

I do think too many people use er for things that they shouldn't and it clogs it up. 

6 hours ago, conservativeman633 said:

Should I be watching MSNBC and CNN like you to get the facts on the covid-19 pandemic?

7 hours ago, Guest Kevin said:

It was Dr. Ungar, a radiologist at Maple Ave IIRC. they were mentioned in a Dec 2018 Courier article about the history of Maple Ave. They were served at Maple's snack bar, and after the merger to West's until the snack bars were phased out.

Thought the namesake was FELIX UNGER of the odd couple . he liked to make those for Oscar.

9 hours ago, conservativeman633 said:

I've never died, so I cannot say one way or another.  I have yet to see on any news station/source who have analyzed the levels of death.  

9 hours ago, Guest Kevin said:

Was it....mustard, relish, pickles, hot sauce, peppers and chili??

Ok, I have a question about the new hires for the housekeeping department, will they get laid off as well? I know 2 of the new staff that got hired and were to start at the beginning of April and was curious as to what would happen to their jobs? Thank you to all of these healthcare workers, be safe

11 hours ago, conservativeman633 said:

I'm pretty sure any death is horrible for the person that's not ready to go--or for the family and friends that weren't ready to let them go. 

"A Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse." - Thomas Jefferson

12 hours ago, Petee said:

In the last year I have noted a huge improvement in attitude and services.  They are under constant construction to bring the area new services!  The lay off of employees is only temporary till they get the elective and regular services scheduled again. Getting them all back may take a while.

No a large part are not just temporary they are just done.  Some I heard have a return to work date but a good portion are just simply done.

11 hours ago, Georgie_girl said:

Wait times in ed are awful because a lot of people go there instead of making an appointment with their Dr. Broken bone? Ed. Persistent cough? Qcare. Little Timmy needs his shots? Dr appt. The staff are only human and can only do so much.

The new cafeteria is gorgeous and they even have a veggie burger option. The touch screen ordering is neat too, you can scan your drink, order something and pay for all of it.

I'd like to see a break down of who got furloughed, how many from each department and if any of the higher ups did.

I guess a lot of good nurses that have been there for years and some of the newer nursing staff and nursing assistants were let go, some with and without return to work status. Almost half of the security staff were let go.  A big chunk of the maintenance crew, office staff etc.  Mostly clinical, support and operations staff it sounds like, none of the top six-figure brass.

3 minutes ago, Paradox said:

No a large part are not just temporary they are just done.  Some I heard have a return to work date but a good portion are just simply done.

I guess a lot of good nurses that have been there for years and some of the newer nursing staff and nursing assistants were let go, some with and without return to work status. Almost half of the security staff were let go.  A big chunk of the maintenance crew, office staff etc.  Mostly clinical, support and operations staff it sounds like, none of the top six-figure brass.

And you think that at no time will this hospital ever grow to need more employees?  Was it last year that the news said their growth would eventually need 600 new skilled employees?  So they may have gotten them, and now they're going to dump them all with the new construction almost done and go back to being a dinky understaffed hospital?

I agree that some will never come back because they may choose to move on to another job, and some may decide to retire now, and some may not have been the best employees, but in all, they need their employees back as soon as the business comes back which is on it's way right now!

Albert Einstein

11 minutes ago, Petee said:

And you think that at no time will this hospital ever grow to need more employees?  Was it last year that the news said their growth would eventually need 600 new skilled employees?  So they may have gotten them, and now they're going to dump them all with the new construction almost done and go back to being a dinky understaffed hospital?

I agree that some will never come back because they may choose to move on to another job, and some may decide to retire now, and some may not have been the best employees, but in all, they need their employees back as soon as the business comes back which is on it's way right now!

Penn Highlands revenue is down almost 50%

I personally think Penn Highlands might have to join a stronger hospital network system.

Good luck to the Board of Directors.

2 minutes ago, Keyser Soze said:

Penn Highlands revenue is down almost 50%

I personally think Penn Highlands might have to join a stronger hospital network system.

Good luck to the Board of Directors.

Wouldn't decreased revenue be expected due to the major renovations?  Might the construction have gotten them in a little too far over their heads.  I feel as though the decision makers are taking advantage of the economic situation to move the finger away from them.

7 minutes ago, Cacao said:

Wouldn't decreased revenue be expected due to the major renovations?  Might the construction have gotten them in a little too far over their heads.  I feel as though the decision makers are taking advantage of the economic situation to move the finger away from them.

The revenue figures are right before and after the lockdown. 

29 minutes ago, Petee said:

Yeah it's called outsourced contract agencies.  You don't hear about that because it's not reported.  A lot of jobs are outsourced to contract agencies and staff from out of the area.  

11 minutes ago, Cacao said:

This is a PR nightmare for PH Systems and reads like a knee-jerk reaction.  Nearby Geisinger just poured salt into their wounds.

https://www.dailyitem.com/news/geisinger-executives-take-pay-cuts-will-put-250-000-per-month-into-employee-emergency-assistance/article_f729e9b4-7f43-11ea-8568-ef7fb335bac8.html

The previous head of the Geisinger system ( Google Health lured him away) was making almost 5 million a year so his replacement is probably making 3 or 4 times what the top executive gets at Penn Highlands. Geisinger also services over 3 million patients in 45 counties.

Just now, Keyser Soze said:

The previous head of the Geisinger system ( Google Health lured him away) was making almost 5 million a year so his replacement is probably making 3 or 4 times what the top executive gets at Penn Highlands. Geisinger also services over 3 million patients in 45 counties.

I get it, it's relative.  Still, it's a much better look than the headlines PH is getting. 

PH has always been full of dead weight and they should have dealt with some of this sooner.  That's why there was a lot of confusion when PH announced that they were looking for however many people back when the construction was announced.  Sometimes they try to be something they cannot be.  

20 minutes ago, Cacao said:

the hospital was still open with the new const. that didn't have anything to do with daily ops...except parking which they started the shuttle and the cost workers had to park up on the hill behind med arts

To achieve the title of old and wise, you must first be young and dumb :P

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak. :P

12 hours ago, Georgie_girl said:

some of the higher ups did get let go

To achieve the title of old and wise, you must first be young and dumb :P

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak. :P