GoDuBois.com
Sign in to follow this  
m michelle

Do you personally know anyone?

Just thinking... With as many the cases being reported, wouldn't you think everyone would know someone or have a personal connection to someone who knows someone that had coronavirus?  Everyone has personal connections with people with cancer, people with heart disease, those with diabetes, alzheimers, and those families that have tragedies as suicide.  I have many circles of people I know, professionally and friends in the area and outside of the area, urban and city.  They say there is only so many degrees of separation between you and everyone else.  Yet, with the exception of the one on the front page news (that I do not personally know), I do not know a single person that has been diagnosed, or even heard of people talk about knowing, i.e. my sister's aunt, my friend's uncle, my neighbor's grandfather, etc... Is anyone in this readership able to report they personally have connections with anyone diagnosed?  I just find it strange.  Also strange that the number of people that die from cigarettes, and a number of other things reported elsewhere,  is significantly higher and they haven't shut the country down for any of those. Is there possibility that we may have more severity from emotional breakdowns that will be more tragic than what the coronavirus actually caused? 

I do not know anyone either and like you have known many that have died of cancer and heart disease. Where was the outrage then? Cigarettes and Roundup are still available so why have they not been outlawed?  My county has had only two cases and seems to be holding at that and yet on Monday if i want to get groceries i have to wear a mask and stay 6' away from others. Heck, can't  get a haircut, can't go to breakfast with my friends etc. etc. and most are just accepting this mandate without a whimper! Scary times for certain and life will never be as free as we once enjoyed and deserved!

"I am the master of my unspoken words and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken"

A young man I coached as a kid came down with it. His recovery has been going well. He resides in Allegheny County.

When you see the lack of spreading in our area it speaks to the success of the social restrictions put in place. It's working so lets stop doing it? Could you imagine a Boston Red Sox game with Massachusetts as a hot spot. What could go wrong? 

If I have a complaint it is with the utter lack of testing. Our next door neighbor was sent home for two weeks of quarantine without testing. Not enough symptoms to test.

Two associates were sent home with some of the viral symptoms for two weeks of quarantine. No testing. Go home and wonder if you have this disease because you don't quite meet our criteria for testing. Your loved ones can wonder as well if they're being exposed. Those at work can hope the associate they were in contact with doesn't have it as well.

In order to make the right choices we need viable accurate information. This lies in testing to know where we stand. Lack of testing is just foolish. Test, track and contain. This is the shortest route to real economic recovery and avoidance of a worsening pandemic than we've seen so far. Vital supply lines of food, electricity, etc. could be interrupted. 

6 hours ago, Bub said:

I do not know anyone either and like you have known many that have died of cancer and heart disease. Where was the outrage then? Cigarettes and Roundup are still available so why have they not been outlawed?  My county has had only two cases and seems to be holding at that and yet on Monday if i want to get groceries i have to wear a mask and stay 6' away from others. Heck, can't  get a haircut, can't go to breakfast with my friends etc. etc. and most are just accepting this mandate without a whimper! Scary times for certain and life will never be as free as we once enjoyed and deserved!

There are people out there with Coronavirus exposure who you would probably walk near every day, but they're not sharing it because of the Social Distancing, masks and gloves.  Aren't you glad that the protections work?

Since there is no random testing here in mid-PA, there is no way of knowing the true numbers of infected people.  Some will have no symptoms, some will have light symptoms without knowing or admitting that they have it, others will not tell due to pride, and others will get sick and stay at home or end up in the hospital which are the only ones that you will hear about for some time.

I was at the doctor's office the other day and two elegantly dressed and coiffed ladies came out to get into their car.  Was wearing a mask too inelegant for them or do they think that they aren't crass enough to get it or spread it?

1.  They could have infected anyone one wherever they may have gotten out of their car. 

2.  They touched the door handle on their way out.  What did they pick up that they may have transferred to their face.

3.  Might they have had it and left Covid19 in the office for someone else to pick up?\

People wear masks for fun on Halloween, but ask them to wear one for the health of them and others, and suddenly it's a horror.

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who watch them without doing anything"

Albert Einstein

On 4/17/2020 at 5:52 AM, m michelle said:

Just thinking... With as many the cases being reported, wouldn't you think everyone would know someone or have a personal connection to someone who knows someone that had coronavirus?  Everyone has personal connections with people with cancer, people with heart disease, those with diabetes, alzheimers, and those families that have tragedies as suicide.  I have many circles of people I know, professionally and friends in the area and outside of the area, urban and city.  They say there is only so many degrees of separation between you and everyone else.  Yet, with the exception of the one on the front page news (that I do not personally know), I do not know a single person that has been diagnosed, or even heard of people talk about knowing, i.e. my sister's aunt, my friend's uncle, my neighbor's grandfather, etc... Is anyone in this readership able to report they personally have connections with anyone diagnosed?  I just find it strange.  Also strange that the number of people that die from cigarettes, and a number of other things reported elsewhere,  is significantly higher and they haven't shut the country down for any of those. Is there possibility that we may have more severity from emotional breakdowns that will be more tragic than what the coronavirus actually caused? 

Excellent post. Your last sentence is ON point!!

sorry to hear that Mr D   prayers to you and extended family  

To achieve the title of old and wise, you must first be young and dumb :P

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak. :P

21 hours ago, mr.d said:

My Aunt was one of the first group of residents of the Brighton Rehab and Wellness in Beaver to get the virus After stay in hospital was released back to home. Yesterday morning my Uncle called to tell me that my Aunt passed away early in the morning.

I'm very sorry to hear of the loss of your aunt.  

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil but by those who watch them without doing anything"

Albert Einstein