GoDuBois.com
Sign in to follow this  
bob_rx2000

Memorial Day Grilling Plans????

I’ve got my bone-in 8pound pork butt slathered in yellow mustard and marinating in the chill chest.  The rub is brown sugar, cayenne pepper, salt and celery salt, garlic powder, chipotle powder, paprika and cinnamon.  Tomorrow it will go in a roasting pan, be covered in thick-sliced bacon, and apple juice poured into the pan until it is about 2/3 up the sides.  Covered with foil and on the grill at a low (285F) for, oh, 9-10 hours.  Every 45 minutes or so you have to spritz the bacon down with apple juice and also keep the juice level up in the pan.  It will fall off the bone.  I’m planning on some grill-pan beans, maybe a pasta/bacon salad (sensing a pattern here?) and did I mention cold beer?  

The thing about cooking this is it takes time and you have to keep an eye on it.  Beer, a nice cigar or two and books on the patio while monitoring is the way to go.

Because, Gentlemen, I don't trust you...  Gunning Bedford, U.S. Constitutional Convention
The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal. Aristotle
First God created idiots.  That was for practice. Then He created school boards. Mark Twain
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. George Santayana

52 minutes ago, bob_rx2000 said:

I’ve got my bone-in 8pound pork butt slathered in yellow mustard and marinating in the chill chest.  The rub is brown sugar, cayenne pepper, salt and celery salt, garlic powder, chipotle powder, paprika and cinnamon.  Tomorrow it will go in a roasting pan, be covered in thick-sliced bacon, and apple juice poured into the pan until it is about 2/3 up the sides.  Covered with foil and on the grill at a low (285F) for, oh, 9-10 hours.  Every 45 minutes or so you have to spritz the bacon down with apple juice and also keep the juice level up in the pan.  It will fall off the bone.  I’m planning on some grill-pan beans, maybe a pasta/bacon salad (sensing a pattern here?) and did I mention cold beer?  

The thing about cooking this is it takes time and you have to keep an eye on it.  Beer, a nice cigar or two and books on the patio while monitoring is the way to go.

You dont deliver like Omaha Steaks do you?:D   Hopefully my usual  neighborhood garage picnic isnt cancelled.  We usually  get 15-20.  And we already do spread out(Social Distance) tables.

Delivery, Jaman???  I don’t even have leftovers...

Because, Gentlemen, I don't trust you...  Gunning Bedford, U.S. Constitutional Convention
The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal. Aristotle
First God created idiots.  That was for practice. Then He created school boards. Mark Twain
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. George Santayana

Sign in to follow this